Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
SignaturesSigning Opportunities

Stan Lee charging $100 per sign on final con704

Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
I think it's an insult to the artist/writer to ask them to sign something they had nothing to do with.

I also think it's an insult to ask them to sign the slab.
If it's a piece of work that doesn't feature anything that ties back to them I would agree. But if they have an indirect connection to the work I would disagree. I had Mike Zeck sign my Transformers issue 3 because it features Spider-Man in the black suit. There's no direct connection for him to this book, but there's the indirect connection.

Indirect doesn't work for me.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
And I "get" Stan Lee. If it's Marvel, there's always in indirect connection. Hell, even DC with the old crossovers.
I think it's just a preference thing. Is there a right or wrong answer? That's above my pay grade!
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAgeFan
And I "get" Stan Lee. If it's Marvel, there's always in indirect connection. Hell, even DC with the old crossovers. (and the "Just Imagine Stan Lee ..." books)

Exactly. Everything can be indirect in some way if you want it to be.
Post 103 IP   flag post
If ther were some sort of artists/writers agreement that they'd only sign books they worked directly on, it'd make it that much more difficult to have them. Thus increasing the value. But if a collector is willing to pay $300-$500 more for a Mcfarlanre ASM that Stan never touched but signed, the insanity never stops.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I think it's just a preference thing. Is there a right or wrong answer? That's above my pay grade!

Agreed. For most of us, it's a hobby (even if we make a little $). It's supposed to be fun. If a guy wants to spend his hard earned money to have Stan Lee sign a watermelon, more power to him. I hope he gets a nice, ripe, juicy one and it becomes the crowning jewel of his collection.
Post 105 IP   flag post

I'm laughing Va! Point well taken.
Post 106 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm laughing Va! Point well taken.
Post 107 IP   flag post
There's a strawberry festival that coincides with the TampaCon. I wonder if Stan will be available.....
Post 108 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Revelations, you're 1000% right. And don't get me wrong, I adore Stan and totally appreciate his history and contributions to our fabulous hobby. I'm coming at it from an affordability standpoint. I've seen youngsters at my LCS's as well as at shows that couldn't buy a book just because his autograph was on it. Without his autograph, they could have. It bugs me. And I honestly don't have an answer. I wish I did.

I get you. But I also see it like a motivator for those kids to set goals for themselves. Maybe save up allowance, do extra chores, etc. They could probably even talk the LCS into doing a layaway if they want it badly enough.

Like the song goes, you don't always get what you want. In this internet age, there's bound to be an unsigned copy of the book floating around.
Post 109 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Revelations, you're 1000% right. And don't get me wrong, I adore Stan and totally appreciate his history and contributions to our fabulous hobby. I'm coming at it from an affordability standpoint. I've seen youngsters at my LCS's as well as at shows that couldn't buy a book just because his autograph was on it. Without his autograph, they could have. It bugs me. And I honestly don't have an answer. I wish I did.

No comprendo. Except for really old rare books, there’s thousands of copies of any given book floating around at any time. Why couldn’t these kids have purchased one of the bajillion copies Stan didn’t sign?
Post 110 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Anything with Spidey on the cover is fair game even if he didn't work on it, he'll always be the creator. I draw the line at stupid stuff like Stan on a Darth Vader. That still blows my mind.
Post 111 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon
I've seen youngsters at my LCS's as well as at shows that couldn't buy a book just because his autograph was on it. Without his autograph, they could have
Quote:
Quote:

No comprendo. Except for really old rare books, there’s thousands of copies of any given book floating around at any time. Why couldn’t these kids have purchased one of the bajillion copies Stan didn’t sign?

I'm no kid and theres tons of books out there that I can't (probably most of us can't) afford. One of the great things bout this hobby is this: You might not be able to get exactly what you want but there are plenty of books to make you happy available in every price range
Post 112 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Anything with Spidey on the cover is fair game even if he didn't work on it, he'll always be the creator. I draw the line at stupid stuff like Stan on a Darth Vader. That still blows my mind.

But since MarvelQuote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Quote:
I've seen youngsters at my LCS's as well as at shows that couldn't buy a book just because his autograph was on it. Without his autograph, they could have
Quote:
Quote:

I'm no kid and theres tons of books out there that I can't (probably most of us can't) afford.

That's not what was said, tho. He said the kid could have afforded it if Stan hadn't signed it.
Post 113 IP   flag post
Quote:

Marvel published a Star Wars comic, that's not enough?
Post 114 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

But since MarvelQuote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm no kid and theres tons of books out there that I can't (probably most of us can't) afford.

That's not what was said, tho. He said the kid could have afforded it if Stan hadn't signed it.
Post 115 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
I think it's an insult to the artist/writer to ask them to sign something they had nothing to do with.

If it's a piece of work that doesn't feature anything that ties back to them I would agree. But if they have an indirect connection to the work I would disagree. I had Mike Zeck sign my Transformers issue 3 because it features Spider-Man in the black suit. There's no direct connection for him to this book, but there's the indirect connection.

Zeck didn't create the black suit.
Post 116 IP   flag post
Sorry. I apologize. I wasn't clear about what I was trying to say.
I get that the kid can't afford the Stan Lee signed copy. There are millions of books out there in every possible grade. Let him get something he can afford. That's an integral part of the hobby and something every single one of us does every time we buy a book. If we say signatures suck because they raise the price of the book to put it financially out of range of some collectors, shouldn't we be saying the same thing about getting them slabbed? That clearly raises the value of most books, putting them just as out of reach for the same kid. Why is one ok but the other isn't?
Post 117 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Quote:

Zeck didn't create the black suit.

And SW #8 isn't the first appearance of the black suit. And Zeck wasn't the first one to draw the black suit in a comic.
Post 118 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu

Quote:
Sorry. I apologize. I wasn't clear about what I was trying to say.
I get that the kid can't afford the Stan Lee signed copy. There are millions of books out there in every possible grade. Let him get something he can afford. That's an integral part of the hobby and something every single one of us does every time we buy a book. If we say signatures suck because they raise the price of the book to put it financially out of range of some collectors, shouldn't we be saying the same thing about getting them slabbed? That clearly raises the value of most books, putting them just as out of reach for the same kid. Why is one ok but the other isn't?

I've been saying both are terrible since CGC started 16 years ago.
Post 119 IP   flag post
You know guys, all jokes and finger pointing aside, this is an amazing hobby. I absolutely love this forum as well. We learn different points of view, different ways of getting to the same endpoint. And pretty much, everyone just wants everyone to achieve their goals of getting the books they love. We can ALWAYS agree to disagree and stay civil. I appreciate everyone's point of view.
Post 120 IP   flag post
Quote:
You know guys, all jokes and finger pointing aside, this is an amazing hobby. I absolutely love this forum as well. We learn different points of view, different ways of getting to the same endpoint. And pretty much, everyone just wants everyone to achieve their goals of getting the books they love. We can ALWAYS agree to disagree and stay civil. I appreciate everyone's point of view.

Agree 100%. I never intend to offend or argue with anyone in any of these forums. Like I said, its supposed to be fun. I think its been a thoughtful intelligent conversation on everyones part. if anyone thinks I was in any way rude or disrespectful, I apologize.
Post 121 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
For me and I know I'm weird, I rarely go after Stan's autograph. Only if it's a book he did the cover and/or artwork for.

You mean 'scripted', right? Stan can script the dialogue for a cover and/or story, but I don't think you'd want his artwork.
Post 122 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
For me and I know I'm weird, I rarely go after Stan's autograph. Only if it's a book he did the cover and/or artwork for.

You mean 'scripted', right? Stan can script the dialogue for a cover and/or story, but I don't think you'd want his artwork.

Keep reading, we figured it out
Post 123 IP   flag post
@VaComicsGuy, well said! I'm still gonna see if Stan will sign a watermelon for me though....
Post 124 IP   flag post
Quote:
@VaComicsGuy, well said! I'm still gonna see if Stan will sign a watermelon for me though....

it would be a one of a kind item. With the way the Harley puddin packs are moving on Ebay, you might be able to get a small fortune for a watermelon.
Post 125 IP   flag post
I'm done with Harley for the moment, I've got 3?Artgerm sets to send in though. IF I ever see them!
Post 126 IP   flag post
@Stelbert_Stylton, Stu, as always, I look to you and Darth to keep me straight.
Post 127 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck slabbing a watermelon 🍉 in a hermetically sealed case that prevents rot. 😝
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't pay more for anyone's sig. I respect what Stan has done but I also think he has been a bit of a jerk and tried his damndest to make sure the spotlight shines on him and away from the many other creators that contributed to Marvel becoming the company it is. Take away Stan from Kirby or Ditko and you have an inferior product all around. If you don't believe me read Stan's book where Jack or Steve did not work with him. Stan needed someone to bring his stories to the page and the input of Jack and others to make it work.

I am not a fan of anyone who tries to take away from what ultimately is often a collaboration. There are not very many books out there that had only one person do it all.

Now I also fall in the camp with not understanding at all why someone would get a signature of a creator who didn't work on that issue at all. No one wants to know my opinion on grading a book with a sig because it just makes them mad
Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Indirect doesn't work for me.

Do you count actors who played the character in a movie signing the book?

I have even seen Lance Henrickson sign an Aliens comic that wasn't even a movie tie-in and Bishop wasn't even in the story.
Post 130 IP   flag post
597883 168 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?