Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Neal Adams Signature7018

Collector shimabuku private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone know how much Neal Adams signature cost at Cons?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
ones I have been at it is about 40 dollars. I think
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I paid $50 CDN last Summer...so yeah, about $40 US. If you aren't grading, a COA with his signature on it for your book is $20.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Expect in the $50 to $60 per signature range.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
He was $50 per sig at SDCC
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Last con I was at, he was charging $50
Post 7 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Expect in the $50 to $60 per signature range.

Last time I saw Neal in April I paid $50.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I've never straight up paid for his signature. Buy a sketch, it'll be included.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Paid 50, multiple years in a row, including this year
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

thats for 50?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

thats for 50?

No. Much more, but the signature came with it.
It was the price of one of his hardcover books that he was offering with a sketch included. I forget the exact amount, but I negotiated his price down.
It was still cheaper than his going rate for sketches.
I ordered some sketchbooks from his website and I'm pretty sure he signed mine for free even though he listed signed versions for more. The sketchbooks were something like $20.
My sketch request was odd because I had no interest in a sketch of a superhero. I had him sketch my girlfriend based upon a photo reference. The sketch is a 1:1 scale of the photo I provided. I appreciate it a lot more. She liked it too.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I used to get all my Neal Adams autographs at NY shows for free not so long ago.
$50 for this guy now? No. He's a savvy businessman but it's not for me anymore
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Neal Adams is a legend! He's worth it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I paid $50 for him to sign my print at Motor City Con in May this year.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector CHUNKBOX private msg quote post Address this user
yup $50 each soon to be $100 i'm sure
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I can only say the rates he quoted for sketches or any form of work while he was in Hawaii left me with a frightened checking account. Too rich for my blood when there is amazing talent out there just happy to sign for fans, and so many to choose from
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I can only say the rates he quoted for sketches or any form of work while he was in Hawaii left me with a frightened checking account. Too rich for my blood when there is amazing talent out there just happy to sign for fans, and so many to choose from
I agree. I had him do a sketch for me and signed some prints the first time and them I had him sign another print the next time. I think I am satisfied with that. You are right in that there is some great talent out there relatively inexpensive or even free autographs at least. For example, I had Ryan Stegman sign 3 comic books from his new Venom series a couple of weeks ago at a show. There was no cost.
Post 18 IP   flag post
What's also scary is to think one can get a decent sketch from him for $150 - $200 OR for the same amount of money get 3 or 4 autographs.

Hmmmmmm

Anything sound out of place there?
3 autographs for $150 or an original sketch for $150?
Yep - that's how out of whack his signatures are.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
I had him do this sketch several years ago....if you can get him chatting, you will be in for some fun....especially old school comic talk.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
What's also scary is to think one can get a decent sketch from him for $150 - $200 OR for the same amount of money get 3 or 4 autographs.

Hmmmmmm

Anything sound out of place there?
3 autographs for $150 or an original sketch for $150?
Yep - that's how out of whack his signatures are.

He's trying to steer you clear of something you'll turn around and sell and steer you towards something you'll keep. He was half way through a photo reference sketch of my girlfriend and started asking questions about who she was. He wanted to know if I was going to just put it on Ebay and flip it. I was honest and there is no way I'd sell it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman
I had him do this sketch several years ago....if you can get him chatting, you will be in for some fun....especially old school comic talk.

I've only met him once, but I agree. I've exchanged emails with him and I've exchanged Twitter messages with his son Josh. I've bought things through the store and conversed about orders with Jason by email. I don't have a problem with how he conducts his business. His time is valuable. Some of his art pages sell for 5 digits in front of the decimal point.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Each his own...its up to each of us to determine what is worthy of our hard earned cash. I am a holdout from the old days when comic artists accepted that without the fans of their work they would be unemployed .
I remember vividly at Dallas fantasy fair watching Al Williamson charge a flat 100 bucks to create large size elaboarate sketches of whatever theme you chose. Spending hours talking to Julius Schwartz and Martin Nodell, the golden age green lantern artist, all deceased now. Martin would do a little doodle sketch just for asking and Julius was so agreeable about signing....but no one seemed interested. Romita Jr used to sign piles of books just for asking at KC comicon.....as did Jan Sternad, and so many others. Those are signatures I value far more because they were given.
Nowdays if I want a signature I will often buy a slab that is signed already ....and justify it for myself as the price of the book itself.
I think we all rationalize and buy based on our own criteria...I admire the artists who do a free signature , then charge after or charge a flat five or ten bucks per....there comes a point you have to ask what an autograph means if the person has to be heavily paid to sign.
I remember meeting helen Slater a few years back at a con...I had hoped if I paid her a hundred dollars she might sign six or 8 of her cards and a picture...she was quite admamant...25 dollars for each time she wrote her name. I lost any real interest I had in even owning her signature on the cards and tossed them. Lesson Learned
Post 23 IP   flag post
I loved those conventions too. Artist start out scrounging for a following. They want to eat, but no one wants to pay for their art. They finally get a paying gig, but it's still not enough to live comfortably. They do meet & greets and sign stuff left and right to get a following. Their goal is no different than mine... earn a living. At some point, they get successful and everything they do gains in value. They still want to earn a living and live comfortably, but they see other people (art dealers & fans) taking their hard work and selling the same stuff for 10 times what they were asking. How would you feel as a creator if your fans walked past you and didn't buy your art, but you watch those same people buy your art from complete strangers? At some point you'd get tired of everyone else making money off of your work while you were still struggling. These artist don't have health insurance like the corporate slaves. +

I think fans should accept that artist are climbing a ladder to success and Neal has already climbed it. He doesn't need to give out his signature. If he knows you're real and that it truly meant the world to you, I bet he'd give it for free. I truly believe that. You have to imagine the amount of lies he's listened to about supposed fans saying how much his autograph or art means to them and he sees it for sale a month later.

I respect Neal's accomplishments and that he doesn't even need to do shows anymore. I'm sure he just does it for marketing to drum up advertising clients and keep his name on people's minds. How is he going to sell advertising art to clients if he's giving away his talents and name at a show?

A lot of an artist's fame is smoke and mirrors along with work ethic. There's a 100,000 other people that can draw a picture for you and many times the guy you think is "good" worked his rear off to gain the skills and promote his work... as well as his name.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I loved those conventions too. Artist start out scrounging for a following. They want to eat, but no one wants to pay for their art. They finally get a paying gig, but it's still not enough to live comfortably. They do meet & greets and sign stuff left and right to get a following. Their goal is no different than mine... earn a living. At some point, they get successful and everything they do gains in value. They still want to earn a living and live comfortably, but they see other people (art dealers & fans) taking their hard work and selling the same stuff for 10 times what they were asking. How would you feel as a creator if your fans walked past you and didn't buy your art, but you watch those same people buy your art from complete strangers? At some point you'd get tired of everyone else making money off of your work while you were still struggling. These artist don't have health insurance like the corporate slaves. +

I think fans should accept that artist are climbing a ladder to success and Neal has already climbed it. He doesn't need to give out his signature. If he knows you're real and that it truly meant the world to you, I bet he'd give it for free. I truly believe that. You have to imagine the amount of lies he's listened to about supposed fans saying how much his autograph or art means to them and he sees it for sale a month later.

I respect Neal's accomplishments and that he doesn't even need to do shows anymore. I'm sure he just does it for marketing to drum up advertising clients and keep his name on people's minds. How is he going to sell advertising art to clients if he's giving away his talents and name at a show?

A lot of an artist's fame is smoke and mirrors along with work ethic. There's a 100,000 other people that can draw a picture for you and many times the guy you think is "good" worked his rear off to gain the skills and promote his work... as well as his name.
Very well stated. I respect Neal Adams and his artwork. He has paid his dues. I have been in the Heating and Cooling business for over 30 years. When I was much younger, I would do jobs much cheaper and was building up clients. The money I charged was still much more than what my employer was paying me. Now,being much more skilled at what I do, I can afford to charge more. I have built up clientele and the quality of my work is known through word of mouth. I can also afford to not take certain jobs if I do not want to. So, like Neal Adams, I have paid my dues.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Neal Adams is a bright, top tier capitalist and artists rights supporter from long ago.
He's going to charge maximum what he believes his autograph and sketches is worth. Absolutely nothing wrong with it but let's call it what it is. Charging for photographs and to talk with him will be next. And I'm ok with that too... but he's a capitalist to the max.

He's the Gene Simmons of the comic world
Post 26 IP   flag post
600885 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?