Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Collecting vs Speculation?7012

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Invest in an older book at the right price and you could double your money.

Buy a new book for three or four dollars, get it signed and graded and you could see a much higher return.

If I avoided newer books when I got back into the hobby around 2008 or 2009 and I would have missed out on a lot of great Walking Dead books.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarbongo
Incidentally did you know there were three different dolphins who played Flipper?

I know the last one committed suicide.

Which just goes to show youse should never speculate on porpoise!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to hoard silver age, often multiple copies of some issues, with my eyes to retirement in 15 years or so. I have enough time and given the current market it is my belief I will do rather well
Post 28 IP   flag post

This way I can always keep my best copy and if the issue moves in price, I have that covered too.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I like it!!!
Post 30 IP   flag post

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe a year or two ago my son was into Sponge Bob and Skylanders - he was even reading comics for a time. My Long term speculation was to pick up the #1's of both those series
Post 31 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Invest in an older book at the right price and you could double your money.

Buy a new book for three or four dollars, get it signed and graded and you could see a much higher return.

If I avoided newer books when I got back into the hobby around 2008 or 2009 and I would have missed out on a lot of great Walking Dead books.

Very true. However --- and only time will tell---I see the WD market significantly softening for everything except 1 and 19. And NO ONE has made money on 1 and 19 except those that bought the books a decade ago. The prices have very much trended in a narrow range for the past six years. So if you bought a 9.4 Walking Dead 1 for GPA average in 2012 you haven't made any money. But if you bought an Amazing Fantasy 15, Avengers 1, Brave and Bold 28 in 6.5 at GPA average in 2012 you have banked a significant profit.

It's possible to make money on comic books published the last couple of decades. I have a couple of friends that do. But doing so requires a lot of effort. A lot of staying on top of what is going on in the movie and TV industry, going to shows, talking to a lot of people.

Buy a copy of Amazing Spider-Man 1 or AF 15 at today's prices - put it away - forget it. Five years later you will have made a profit. And these are far from the only vintage books. I could make a list of 100. But they illustrate the point
Post 32 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan I made a big profit on my WD 19. It was graded before I bought and flipped it.

With that said I made most of my money on other issues.

I have never owned issues 1 or 2.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak I saw where you got your TT 20 from Mid Town. got mine yesterday. Did you try to get any of the 1:25 cover?
Post 34 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
@conditionfreak I saw where you got your TT 20 from Mid Town. got mine yesterday. Did you try to get any of the 1:25 cover?

No. I got two hand fulls of the A and B covers. I did not know about, and never tried to get, the 1:25 variant. Not much of a cover on it, I must say. But they are running about $25-$35 on Ebay at the moment.
Post 35 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Maybe a year or two ago my son was into Sponge Bob and Skylanders - he was even reading comics for a time. My Long term speculation was to pick up the #1's of both those series

SpongeBob's first comic book appearance is a sure fire investment, long term
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:

No. I got two hand fulls of the A and B covers. I did not know about, and never tried to get, the 1:25 variant. Not much of a cover on it, I must say. But they are running about $25-$35 on Ebay at the moment.

If you had bought 5 more regular copies, you would've qualified for a free 1:25, but I'm sure Mid Town wouldn't have honored that.

I agree about the 1:25 cover. Not impressed with it all. The only "cool" thing about it is that Crush's creator is the one who drew it. But yeah, I don't care for it personally. I like the purple one the best--the one with Crush blowing the bubble gum.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:

What does the TT stand for?
Post 38 IP   flag post
@drchaos Teen Titans
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
@drchaos Teen Titans

The book came up on the forum a couple months ago.

Just long enough for me to lose track of it and miss the boat.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Picked up two copies of the regular white cover of TT 20 at my LCS today.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I missed this one too, was able to snag an A and B copy today.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@drchaos Next time you're in your LCS, you might want grab a copy of Teen Titans Special #1. It came out the last week of June, and it has a cameo of all three new characters on the last page.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Here's mine. Kind of a crappy pic. Taken with my old iPad:

Post 44 IP   flag post
Trying to grab a feel for the books...so the special cameos up three characters whose major first appearance is issue one of this title then? I understood one of them to be Lobos offspring ?
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Trying to grab a feel for the books...so the special cameos up three characters whose major first appearance is issue one of this title then? I understood one of them to be Lobos offspring ?

The Teen Titans Special 1 has a cameo of Crush (Lobo's daughter), Djinn (a 4,000 year old teen with magical powers), and Roundhouse (a human wrecking ball)

Teen Titans 20 is all three characters first full appearance. That issue has a cover A and cover B variant plus a cover C that is 1:25.

Hope that helps.
Post 46 IP   flag post
More than helpful and thanks for the thorough answer !
Post 47 IP   flag post
600861 47 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?