Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Collecting vs Speculation?7012

Collector Zarbongo private msg quote post Address this user
So I've been mulling over a change in my approach to this wonderful hobby that we all love. I've collected on and off for about 30 years. Mostly Bronze and Modern age comics. At this point, the time I have (4 kids between 1 and 9years old) and the passion I have for reading consistently has been less and less. I have done a little speculating with modern books on eBay. Over the last ten years I have noticed a change in the market. Movies and TV are driving a lot of the value (and the creative direction of publishers). Variant covers are driving some of the value. Third party grading companies and signatures are creating collectibility. There's money to be made out there. SO, that being said, if I were switch more to speculating what resources are available online? What information/ education resources are there that help you make decisions regarding what and when to buy or sell? How do you keep your inflow and out flow organized? Any recommendations on comic ages to focus on for long term and short term profits? Should I feel bad about trying to make money on what is at heart a child's hobby? Any insight/ criticism from the forum would be welcomed.
Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector chameleoncolors private msg quote post Address this user
I have never nor will I ever buy a comic for speculation. I collect what I like and what I like only. do I understand your situation, yes I do. I understand why people buy for speculation or to sell. I don't like what comics have become. The comic collecting industry has become more about getting money than actually collecting for the passion and love of comics. I guess with all the movies it is bigger than ever and that may be the reason for it. Now I am excluding GA books as they have increased in price because of their scarcity, but books like modern variants and key issues have become crazy. The average fan cannot collect anymore it's too expensive now a days. There are less and less comics being read and more and more being bought and sent to cgc untouched, comics are not what they were but once again I respect and understand what they have become. I think what you are doing is fine. To each their own.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
By the time you read about a hot book on the internet, its already past the point of no return and its just a bunch of pump and dump.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
About a month ago I was at a one day show. Two guys were trying to pitch their self-published comic to me. The subject matter didn't interest me at all. In the most polite way possible, I told them I only buy comics that I like AND I must feel they have a potential to go up in value. I told them I have too many comics and I don't want comics that are going to be worth a fraction of what I pay within a month. One of the guys tossed out the word "speculation" which I never use. I buy comics I like because I like them. I just also add a second filter that it must be something that I feel will retain it's value. I don't buy it with the intent that it will make me money, but I don't want comics that will waste my money either.
If you truly want to buy comics to flip for a profit, I'm the wrong person to give advice. I'm too lazy to sell anything now and the window of opportunity can sometimes be very short. If you do want to speculate, my suggestion is to buy something you are proud to be stuck with.

I quit two jobs back to back in the early 90's. I had no income and I had bills due. I had no entertainment budget and I pulled my comic collection out of storage. Reading comics was my entertainment. It sparked my interest to own the Silver Age comics I'd never acquired. I had duplicates of things that I thought were cool in the 80's. Many were worth much more than I paid. I traded some of my duplicates for older comics that I really wanted more. The value of what I buy started meaning much more to me than simply acquiring quantity. When you are unemployed, those collectibles are as good as money. Why buy something that wastes space when you can buy something that pays for the space it consumes?

It's not about speculation for me. It's about spending money wisely.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Stick to what you love. If something from within your wheelhouse becomes hot, hey, it's a bonus. I stick with Ninja Turtles, Rick and Morty, and Amazing Spider-man. Some hot, some not. Laws of probability and all that.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Zarbongo
I speculate on comics to fuel my expensive comic collecting addiction.

And I dont feel bad about that one bit. Nope.

Best way to speculate is read the books, know what just happened when they introduce a new character and go buy the rest off the shelf. Talk to people, words gets around quick and the faster you hear about a book heating up the better money you’ll make. Know the small comic shops that will still have that hot book sitting on the rack when you hear about it. Browse ebay for fun, buy first appearances before the movie is announced. That’ll get you started 🍺
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Some advice

All book should get bags and boards. Once the bag and or board shows signs of age it should be replaced. Just because you buy a book that is already bagged and boarded it doesn't mean that you should skimp on a new bag and board if it looks sketchy.

Excel is a great tool for keeping track of anything. If you assign each book a number and affix a garage sale sticker to the bag outside the comic with that number it is easy to match up the Excel with your inventory. It is very easy to get disorganized when you are getting a bunch of books signed at a show or giving a large submission to a grading company, you can never have too many records or spreadsheets.

A lot of Barnes and Noble stores and public libraries have graphic novels. If you are going to keep up with modern books you should probably be reading them. With that said, if you plan to resell the comics you are buying you do not want to be reading those books.

You should also stay plugged in. Watch the movies. Participate on the forum. Keep track of what books are selling for on ebay and online auction sites. You want to know when books are heating up or when people are starting to lose interest in them. You also want to know which artists will be available to sign books, what they are charging, and if you stand any chance to come out ahead when you resell the books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I collect only 1982 and back. That's where the money is for me. Speculating on todays comic books I don't see any value here. Since you have 4 kids between 1 and 9, the smart play (in my humble opinion) is to buy raw (and have them graded) and/or high graded comic books. Bronze, silver and golden age (if you can afford them) books AND original art. Put them away and when you think your kids are ready for them taa-daa. Here's a sad story for you to think about. Back in 1974 I bought AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-15 for $50.00 (down from $100.00). All 15 issues were in pretty nice shape (7-8.5). In 1980, I needed to make car payments and sold them for $525.00 and a complete set of RAT PATROL cards. My profit was 10 times (+) what I paid. But what if I had held on to them? In 15-20 years (when your kids will appreciate them) what do you think a HULK 181, X-MEN 94-101, 266, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 300 just to name a few will be worth. I was born in 1957, just think if my parents had bought a complete set of TOPPS Baseball cards from that year what they would be worth now. My mom remembered reading CAPTAIN AMERICA #1. What if she had held on to that and the others she read and only paid 10¢ apiece. Now for a happy story, I still have my HULK 102, which I paid 12¢ for off the turn style rack, CBCS graded it at a 9.6 !! It sits proudly in my collection to this day.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Only books I really pickup outside my regulars for reading or books I want to read are modern key or minor key issues that are low value with future potential...

Speculation is tough...I picked up a copy of The Old Guard #1 yesterday because it got optioned for a movie...who knows if the value will go up, but it's a $10 book. Guess I'll find out in Fall of 2019...

Last week I snagged a Thor:God of Thunder 25 and a Thor #1 in case Jane Foster picks up the mantle in the MCU...again another $10 pickup.

Personally, I don't have the big bucks to throw at books like some of the folks on here (teenagers are expensive!!!), so I just use pop culture as a guage...and make educated guesses.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
There's nothing wrong with collecting as an investment, it fits right into the nature of collecting as a hobby. The cost of books becomes more serious when you have family considerations and you're trying to justify expending major capital for a long sought grail to finish a run or when purchasing high end comics in general, regardless of their age or estimated market values.

Speculation is a different animal altogether. Speculating is the realm of flippers ...and no, I'm not referring to the 70's sitcom about a pet dolphin. Speculating is more rooted in the concept of get rich quick schemes, day trading, and making a killing beating the House in Vegas. It's no place for comic collectors. This is just my 2 cents (adjusted for inflation), your mileage may vary.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
There's nothing wrong with collecting as an investment, it fits right into the nature of collecting as a hobby. The cost of books becomes more serious when you have family considerations and you're trying to justify expending major capital for a long sought grail to finish a run or when purchasing high end comics in general, regardless of their age or estimated market values.

Speculation is a different animal altogether. Speculating is the realm of flippers ...and no, I'm not referring to the 70's sitcom about a pet dolphin. Speculating is more rooted in the concept of get rich quick schemes, day trading, and making a killing beating the House in Vegas. It's no place for comic collectors. This is just my 2 cents (adjusted for inflation), your mileage may vary.

Very well said and I agree completely!!! Nothing wrong with collecting for investment purposes. I love the hobby, the art, the characters and stories first and foremost. If I had the space and the money I'd love to own every published book but I can't so Im going to be selective. This means cherrypicking issues...might as well be issues of characters and stories I love most with the potential for increased value.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Store valuable books in mylar and acid free backing boards. Read a lot if you want to get into speculation. Its practically a job but difference is you might enjoy it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I don't read comic books. I collect comic books. Mostly for covers I like. But I also "invest" (not speculate) based on covers, rumors, happenings in the stories, and firsts appearances. I avoid weddings, births and deaths.

The difference to me between speculation and investment, is the time you are going to hold them. Flipping them in a few months or less is speculating. Holding onto HIGH GRADE books for years is investing.

There are no guarantees. Not in anything a person can speculate or invest in. But if you pay attention to what is happening in the hobby, you can do alright.

Flippers can make a ton of money IF they are experienced and smart about it. But that is not for me. Because when I get something, it is hard as hell to let go of it. I can, and I have. But usually only duplicates.

Like anything in life. Pursue your passion and become good at it. It will work out, and you will have enjoyed the ride.

But buying 100 copies of the next Spiderman #1 is not a good plan. Buy three copies of the next first appearance of a hot looking new female character. Because this hobby is 90% fan boys of hot female characters.

Read everything you can on this site, and on comicbookinvest.com and comicsheatingup.net. But as someone already stated here. Once it is on the net, it is pretty much too late. Do your own "guessing" based on experience and knowledge of what is happening in the hobby.

And for God's sake. Do not borrow money (credit cards or whatever) to purchase comic books for speculation. It is vey convenient to use a credit card for purchases. But pay it off immediately when the bill comics in. Otherwise, any profit you make is eaten up by interest.

Good luck.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Zarbongo private msg quote post Address this user
I really appreciate all the responses.
@CatmanAmerica I think what I had in mind was more about investment in the long term. The term "speculating" can have a negative connotation in our hobby's community. I have been irritated enough times at cons and my LCS by speculators of the "get rich quick" variety. But I wonder whether the market is forcing that trend or is it vice versa?
Ideally I would like to be able to pass on a valuable collection of books when I die. I'm not looking to buy an Amazing Fantasy 15 or the equivalent, but enough keys that will continue to appreciate and hopefully give my kids some enjoyment in the process. It's definitely not an attempt at making it a "business".
@Rafel I think your point about buying raw and getting them graded is a good one for my situation. I've looked into Go Collect Price Guide as a way to monitor tends in prices. And of course read this forum on a daily basis.

Incidentally did you know there were three different dolphins who played Flipper?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Haunt craigslist and put a “I buy comics” ad on it and you can do well speculating when you hit one. Personally never have done it, but I know many who do and do well. Gotta spend a few G’s at least though to get one. That is speculation done right to me. Another way, if your eye is good buy raw, get graded, and sell. You can do well with that.
I personally buy older books, get some graded, and am amazed at how things I like go up, like pre code horror lately, and all sorts of cool books, but I only sell my non keys. I’ll sell my cool stuff someday,slowly, as a retirement income stream.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarbongo
I really appreciate all the responses.
@CatmanAmerica I think what I had in mind was more about investment in the long term. The term "speculating" can have a negative connotation in our hobby's community. I have been irritated enough times at cons and my LCS by speculators of the "get rich quick" variety. But I wonder whether the market is forcing that trend or is it vice versa?
Ideally I would like to be able to pass on a valuable collection of books when I die. I'm not looking to buy an Amazing Fantasy 15 or the equivalent, but enough keys that will continue to appreciate and hopefully give my kids some enjoyment in the process. It's definitely not an attempt at making it a "business".
@Rafel I think your point about buying raw and getting them graded is a good one for my situation. I've looked into Go Collect Price Guide as a way to monitor tends in prices. And of course read this forum on a daily basis.

Incidentally did you know there were three different dolphins who played Flipper?

And there were seven German Shepherd Dogs that played Rin Tin Tin. And Spuds McKenzie was a female dog.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I'd suggest skipping speculation type books and instead focus on investment type books.

Some people make money speculating on comics. Some people make money in penny stocks. RICH people largely stick to tried and true blue chips.

So that would mean the best, most key book(s) in the highest grades you can afford. Very little downside risk.

The speculator market is so fluid that any advice you get is probably already old. Why would another speculator want to share? And old advice in the speculator market is worse than useless. On the other hand, if you asked about solid investment grade comic books 10 years ago you would have gotten much the same answer you get today.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
I'd suggest skipping speculation type books and instead focus on investment type books.

Some people make money speculating on comics. Some people make money in penny stocks. RICH people largely stick to tried and true blue chips.

So that would mean the best, most key book(s) in the highest grades you can afford. Very little downside risk.

The speculator market is so fluid that any advice you get is probably already old. Why would another speculator want to share? And old advice in the speculator market is worse than useless. On the other hand, if you asked about solid investment grade comic books 10 years ago you would have gotten much the same answer you get today.

Tru Dat.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:

And there were seven German Shepherd Dogs that played Rin Tin Tin. And Spuds McKenzie was a female dog.

Littlest Hobo puts them all to shame with a kick a$$ theme song to boot!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
😀😀

Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:

I know the last one committed suicide.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Post 22 IP   flag post
That would have been better. Unfortunately, not.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Rafel is spot on. Rather than speculate on new books which is similar to buying penny stocks, buy proven key issues whether they be silver, bronze or modern. Is there any doubt no matter what the comic market does, that an Incredible Hulk 181 or even an affordable Savage She-Hulk #1 won't go up in value year after year?! Even key 90's books (Spawn 1, Youngblood #1 etc.) are appreciating. If your kids are that young, than time is on your side. Nuff said....
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Iron man, my apologies! Wrote my piece before reading yours! Looks like we're on the same page!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Invest in an older book at the right price and you could double your money.

Buy a new book for three or four dollars, get it signed and graded and you could see a much higher return.

If I avoided newer books when I got back into the hobby around 2008 or 2009 and I would have missed out on a lot of great Walking Dead books.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Which just goes to show youse should never speculate on porpoise!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to hoard silver age, often multiple copies of some issues, with my eyes to retirement in 15 years or so. I have enough time and given the current market it is my belief I will do rather well
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user

This way I can always keep my best copy and if the issue moves in price, I have that covered too.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I like it!!!
Post 30 IP   flag post
601536 47 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?