Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestionsRaw Comics For Sale

Condition vc Encapsulation6987

Collector stanley1883 private msg quote post Address this user
So general question here, sorry no photos at the moment. With key books, like ASM 3, Hulk 181, ASM 129 etc, at what point is it not worth getting graded? What are your opinions. For example, if it's lower than a 5.0 don't bother, etc. I know its a general and broad question. my apologies.

I guess i have a second question as well, how much does cover gloss, or more accurately, the lack of, effect the grade? Im concerned just with the gloss, just like how they say water stains cant get any higher than x grade regardless of other conditions, is there such a caveat regarding the gloss?

Thanks in advance!
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
in my opinion, it depends on the book. for example, if I was going to purchase an Amazing Fantasy 15 it would only be cgc or cbcs graded. so if I could only afford a 2.5 I would only buy a cgc or cbcs graded 2.5 vs. a raw, advertised 2.5 book. it comes to to how much am I spending on the book and if its a significant amount it must be 3rd party graded.

can't answer your 2nd question, don't know.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
It's all in what you are happy with. I would never flinch at any of the above books in a lower grade because I know I simply can't afford high grade copies of any. I tend to believe that encapsulation will preserve the book from further damage and damn it..I love key books. Some collectors/ sellers say to use it as a starter book and sell eventually until you can afford a higher grade until you are happy with the last time you need to purchase the book. It's all in what you can afford. I am a collector and tend not to sell my treasures once i've met my personal goal. Do I have investment books..hells yeah I do. Buy cheap and sell when you are comfortable with the price. 5.0 grade on any of those books still fetch a hefty value if times ever get bad! If you do an ebay search on a graded page of spidey's first appearance..you may be shocked! Value for anything is always based on what someone else is willing to pay for it. With any of those books, review finished auctions on those books at the various grades and find your personal stopping point where you can simply say, "It's mine." Post books on the forums and you may get nibbles on deals between the community. Encapsulaton can get pricey depending on the condition and value of a book...just simply do the research. I don't really see any of the books you list as a reader copy...it's comic history in your hands, man!!! Key issues are treasures to me regardless of condition. You want a "reader," go buy a trade or omnibus. I tend to think that we are all here for the love of comics and want to protect the treasures that we have!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman79
It's all in what you are happy with. I would never flinch at any of the above books in a lower grade because I know I simply can't afford high grade copies of any. I tend to believe that encapsulation will preserve the book from further damage and damn it..I love key books. Some collectors/ sellers say to use it as a starter book and sell eventually until you can afford a higher grade until you are happy with the last time you need to purchase the book. It's all in what you can afford. I am a collector and tend not to sell my treasures once i've met my personal goal. Do I have investment books..hells yeah I do. Buy cheap and sell when you are comfortable with the price. 5.0 grade on any of those books still fetch a hefty value if times ever get bad! If you do an ebay search on a graded page of spidey's first appearance..you may be shocked! Value for anything is always based on what someone else is willing to pay for it. With any of those books, review finished auctions on those books at the various grades and find your personal stopping point where you can simply say, "It's mine." Post books on the forums and you may get nibbles on deals between the community. Encapsulaton can get pricey depending on the condition and value of a book...just simply do the research. I don't really see any of the books you list as a reader copy...it's comic history in your hands, man!!! Key issues are treasures to me regardless of condition. You want a "reader," go buy a trade or omnibus. I tend to think that we are all here for the love of comics and want to protect the treasures that we have!!

this guy gets it!!

great post!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
5.0? 2.5? I seem to have a different definition of “low grade” lol

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I have an NG X Men 1, a .5 Spider Man 6, a 1.5 Hulk 2. A 1.8 FF12. I encapsulate sometimes if the book is crumbly and dying, it freezes time.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite

For me 5.0 and below is low grade, 5.5 to 8.0 is mid grade, and 8.5 and above is high grade.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’d grade anything worth $400+.

If it has sentimental value? Grade it just for display purposes.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman79

Well said!
Post 9 IP   flag post
601294 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?