Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Missed It By That Much6975

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
So, aside from Black Widow & Spidey, I’m a huge ‘Creature from the Black Lagoon’ fan.

I have several 2nd prints of the Dell movie classics comic & my highest grade (7.0?) 1st print is on its way across the street as we speak.

I don’t know what it is about this book. Every time a new copy hits e-bay, I bid on it. Anyway, I’ve wanted a VF or better copy of the 1st print for years. High grade first prints are rare. there are literally only 15 copies of the first print on the CGC census & only 4 ore 8.0 or better.

A CGC 8.0 White Pages was on e-bay for the first time in at least two years & I made a healthy bid but still last out.

This made me decide to pull the trigger on the (supposedly) 9.0 raw copy on Comic Connect. I’ve negotiated with the guy in the past on the book. His bottom line was a bit over what I wanted to spend since it was raw. This auction loss made me reconsider.

Fingers crossed, fellas!
Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank, @DWeeB1967!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim congrats and good luck!

I have a copy of Creature #1 somewhere in my stash that I purchased from a dollar box about 7 years ago. I've always been a fan of the Creature movies and I simply bought it because it was a classic cool cover. Back then I didn't know there was a 2nd print. What should I look for that distinguishes between the two?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks, @Pre_Coder. The good news is, 2nd prints of all the Dell movie classics (Frankenstein, Wolf Man, etc.) are easy to spot. You don’t even have to open them. It’s right under the corner box. 👍🏼
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks! I'm going to dig it out just for my own curiosity. As far as I can remember, it is a presentable lower grade book.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder You’re welcome. That cover is just classic, no matter the grade.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Did you get it? I don't see it on ComicConnect now!
It looks like the Creature has made some appearances in other comics as well? It looks like these are nearly impossible to find as well.

Post 8 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam Yes, I did. 👍🏼

Thanks for the heads up on the Archie appearances. I’ll have to keep an eye out for those as well.
Post 9 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim Congrats!
Post 10 IP   flag post
I just hoe it IS a 9.0, or close to it. The pics in the listing were fuzzy.

Does the seller grade the book, or, does Comic Connect take that responsibility? Anybody know?
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Based on my past experiences with books I've listed myself on their site, the seller sets the grade. They do review the listing before letting it be posted on their site and will recommend an adjustment if they think you are way off. Most of the time on consignments like that, the seller maintains possession of the book until it's sold, and once sold, the seller sends to ComicConnect and they process the order and send it out to the buyer.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Maybe I’ll expedite the grading process. If it comes back well below the estimate, hopefully Comic Connect will make it right.

Of course, I should be able to tell if it’s well below a 9.0 once it arrives.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@00slim I found it!

It's a 1st print, and just as I recall it's low grade. But it's tight, solid, presentable, nice colors - probably 4.0

$1 well spent!
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder Awesome.

Even in low grade, a first print is hard-to-find.

I ask about that book at every con. In the last six years, I haven’t found one. E-bay, sure. Occasionally. But it still isn’t common.

FYI, the highest grade on the CGC Census for the 1st print is 9.2.
Post 15 IP   flag post
598089 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?