Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Comic Restoration Yes or No696

Collector molcott private msg quote post Address this user
so I recently picked up X-Men numbers 12,14,15, and 28 from a friend of mine got them cheap 20 bucks each go me but they are in really rough shape wondering if I should look into having them restored a bit or just have them slabbed to keep them from getting any worse.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Don't restore. Not worth doing from a financial perspective.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
totally agree. slab them up and call them good.
Post 3 IP   flag post
they are for my personal collection they I wont ever sell them just want to preserve them
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
@molcott I would contact a few restoration experts to get a quote (e.g. Mike at Heroes Restoration - board member, Tracey Heft at Eclipse Paper, Kenny at CCS, Susan Cicconi at the Restoration Lab). Most likely for the cost of the restoration you could just buy better copies of each of the issues that you have listed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by molcott
they are for my personal collection they I wont ever sell them just want to preserve them

Then there's no need to waste money restoring or slabbing them. Waste time enjoying them!
Post 6 IP   flag post

Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:

Then there's no need to waste money restoring or slabbing them. Waste time enjoying them!

I would want to slab them to keep them preserved
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Go to E Berber and order some 750 Fullbacks and some 775 M2 mylar bags the books will look great in them. Not all books need to be slabbed to enjoy.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:

I would want to slab them to keep them preserved

Slabs don't preserve any better than a 2 mil Mylar and a Fullback. And if those stains are on the books and not the bags in the pictures above, I'd say definitely don't waste your money slabbing them.
Post 10 IP   flag post
the stains are on the books which brand mylars do you guys reccomend? I bought some 4mil ones but I dont like them
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Restoring wouldn't be worth it.

However, a good clean/press would work wonders. Afterwards get them slabbed or purchase some nice boards and mylar bags :-)
Post 12 IP   flag post
thanks for the info guys
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Jayzer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3
Restoring wouldn't be worth it.

However, a good clean/press would work wonders. Afterwards get them slabbed on purchase some nice boards and mylar bags :-)

Exactly what I was thinking
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
The rule of thumb used to be that if a book wasn't worth $1000 as is then it is not worth getting restored as restoration is a costly venture. I think on average the upper end of slight and lower end of moderate can run $600-800. Or something like that I cannot remember which resto expert told that or which of their sites I read it on.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I used to avoid the thin mylar flexible bags ... it used to drive me crazy, so many of them would split down the seam. But last week I tried some 2 mil Mylites (Silver & Golden Age Size 7 3/4 in) from E. Gerber, with the "full back" board (7.5 in.), and I like these a lot. Haven't had any problems so far, and the books look very nice in them.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I like using the 4mil Silver Age Mylar from BCW with full backs. My last batch I went with EGerber, but their equivalent 4mil is more narrow than BCW and makes for a tight fit with fullbacks.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
I have a Silver Surfer 4 signed beautifully by Stan Lee and Sal Buscema. It was originally a CGC 9.4 after Lee signed it but when it came back from CBCS with the Buscema signature it was a 9.0 due to a small color-break, thumb-crease which was possibly due to Sal's mishandling of the book, idk for sure. But what I do know is that overall the book is beautfiul but I miss that .4 man! Would you guys consider a slight resto on it if you could get that .4 back or maybe higher?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I totally get how frustrating that is, to lose a bit on the grade. So my feeling is, you have to decide: is the book for you to keep and own and present well; or is it an investment?

Probably for most of us, it is a combination of the two. If it is an investment, then restoration will deteriorate the value much, much more than you gain. And if it's for you to keep, then only the presentation matters, not the grade.

It sounds like the only thing that bothers you, though, presentation-wise, is the grade it got due to the crease, not the slight color break / dent in and of itself. (Which, again, I totally empathize with.) And so I would say, don't get it restored to save the grade ... because the "restored" in the certificate will hurt more than the missing 0.4 grade, even if all you want is to keep it.

BUT ... if ONLY the presentation matters, and it IS the slight dent that bugs you, then get it restored and keep it forever.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
I have a Silver Surfer 4 signed beautifully by Stan Lee and Sal Buscema. It was originally a CGC 9.4 after Lee signed it but when it came back from CBCS with the Buscema signature it was a 9.0 due to a small color-break, thumb-crease which was possibly due to Sal's mishandling of the book, idk for sure. But what I do know is that overall the book is beautfiul but I miss that .4 man! Would you guys consider a slight resto on it if you could get that .4 back or maybe higher?

This is why I'm picking out books that don't have a high current FMV in and of themselves to get signatures. That way a 9.8 becoming a 9.0 is not heartbreaking.
Post 20 IP   flag post
597978 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?