Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeMovies TelevisionMovies TelevisionToys Statues

James Gunn Fired From Guardians of the Galaxy 36938

Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
But this story is NOT made up. The tweets from Gunn are real, and Gunn has admitted such.

Yes, real tweets, real jokes. I'm not sure what your point is? Did you actually think James Gunn was an admitted pedophile? That he was bragging on Twitter about his exploits with little kids?

FYI, he wasn't. That was the part that was made up. Mike Cernovich lied about all that, acting like he "uncovered" Gunn's deep, dark secret. Same with Pizzagate, and a half dozen other examples of his distorted attacks.

You can't seriously believe this and Pizzagate are the same. Gunn's tweets were all real. Pizzagate was a complete fabrication. Not remotely equivalent.

I think Gunn's explanation that the tweets were an effort at provocative humor is believable. But I don't think they are at all funny, in any way, shape or form. If you think those tweets are funny or in any way appropriate, we have a fundamental difference of opinions that no amount of postings will change.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think videos of people getting hurt while doing stunts are funny, but many people do.

Humor can work on different levels. Crude jokes can sometime fall into the "No soap, radio" type of joke which is acknowledged in the wikipedia. It's not funny, but the fact that people want to get it or figure out why something was said is where all the humor exists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_soap_radio

It's called surreal humor in that listing.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I don't think videos of people getting hurt while doing stunts are funny, but many people do.

Humor can work on different levels. Crude jokes can sometime fall into the "No soap, radio" type of joke which is acknowledged in the wikipedia. It's not funny, but the fact that people want to get it or figure out why something was said is where all the humor exists.

This is very true and as a society we should recognize that humor, like all moving targets, is very time sensitive. What folks found funny ten or twenty years ago ...whether it was or wasn't in retrospect... may be totally repugnant when seen today. Watching the History of Comedy a day or so ago reminded me of this truism.

There's a scene in the comedy film Airplane (Zuckerman Bros.) where the straitlaced pilot ...portrayed by Leslie Nielsen... talks to an excited little boy carrying a model airplane who an attendant brings forward to the cabin. During the conversation that ensues with the pilot Leslie Nielsen casually asks him if he'd ever seen a naked man.

I literally cringed watching this even though it was intended as broad satire of an entire genre of film.

That scene probably wouldn't be filmed today and if it were, the studio would likely cut it. Looking back, I can't recall the audience reaction in the theater where I saw Airplane when it was in release, but I'm sure most folks found it hysterically funny. It just demonstrates how much attitudes have changed that joking about pedophilia ...even in the abstract... is universally considered offensive.
Post 78 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
what's also perplexing about this situation is Gunn publically acknowledged and apologised for these tweets in 2012. why was nothing done about this then? why now is it an issue?

everyone can agree the tweets are offensive...nobody is defending the tweets. everyone knows they're crass and of poor taste. acknowledged and apologised for 6 years ago by Gunn. what's the cut off (if there is one) if Gunn had said these things in print 35 years ago and uncovered the same way, does or should that change what resulted?

I don't like the fact that something said years ago....acknowledged and apologised for years ago can still result in this. this could potentially set a dangerous precedent.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I know most.of the cast have voiced their displeasure over the firing...Bobcat Goldwaith had an interesting post on his instagram this afternoon.
Post 80 IP   flag post

I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Don't be a vile idiot... any side, for any reason... and guess what? None of this would ever happen. Put together your thoughts in a well thought out manner like an adult.
Play with fire though... and the fire will burn. And burn it has and burn it will continue.... with many more people. That's the world we live in.
Behave yourselves in public folks (i.e. social media). It shouldn't be that hard and yet it is for many. Pretty pathetic is my thought
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

This is very true and as a society we should recognize that humor, like all moving targets, is very time sensitive. What folks found funny ten or twenty years ago ...whether it was or wasn't in retrospect... may be totally repugnant when seen today. Watching the History of Comedy a day or so ago reminded me of this truism.

There's a scene in the comedy film Airplane (Zuckerman Bros.) where the straitlaced pilot ...portrayed by Leslie Nielsen... talks to an excited little boy carrying a model airplane who an attendant brings forward to the cabin. During the conversation that ensues with the pilot Leslie Nielsen casually asks him if he'd ever seen a naked man.

I literally cringed watching this even though it was intended as broad satire of an entire genre of film.

That scene probably wouldn't be filmed today and if it were, the studio would likely cut it. Looking back, I can't recall the audience reaction in the theater where I saw Airplane when it was in release, but I'm sure most folks found it hysterically funny. It just demonstrates how much attitudes have changed that joking about pedophilia ...even in the abstract... is universally considered offensive.

That scene in Airplane you mentioned, the pilot also said something to the boy about a Turkish prison. That whole sequence in that scene was in reference to the film Midnight Express.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
You can't seriously believe this and Pizzagate are the same. Gunn's tweets were all real. Pizzagate was a complete fabrication. Not remotely equivalent.

I think Gunn's explanation that the tweets were an effort at provocative humor is believable. But I don't think they are at all funny, in any way, shape or form. If you think those tweets are funny or in any way appropriate, we have a fundamental difference of opinions that no amount of postings will change.

No need to make stuff up, Lonestar ... I never said they were funny.

The thread that connects Pizzagate and nearly every other Mike Cernovich distortion attack is the theme of pedophilia. He often accuses people in the media of encouraging and supporting pedophilia in order to bring them down. He labeled a guy named Vic Berger a "child molester" and said he was in the center of an “active pedophile ring.” He accused Robert Mackey, a reporter for The Intercept, of covering up stories about "convicted pedophile Dennis Hastert.” He claimed New York magazine writer Jesse Singal was a pedophile enabler for "lying" about Berger's "connection to pedophiles." He has similarly attacked Sam Seder, the host of MSNBC "Majority Report; Matt Taibbi of Rolling Stone; and Jim Acosta and Jake Tapper at CNN.

He takes real tweets out of context, or just makes up the context, and crafts a whole, weird, sex-themed story around them. And then he attacks, attacks, attacks. Usually targeting employers, in the hopes of getting people fired. And encouraging thousands of his followers to do the same.

What's more is, he has admitted - on multiple occasions - that it's all bullshit, and this is just how he goes after people he doesn't like. He's happy about it, gleeful even, and doesn't mind bragging about how people "fell for it."

Here's a taste, from Pizzagate: "Fake news editors with a track record of covering up pedophile scandals oppose #Pizzagate. Makes you think." -- Mike Cernovich

"BBC (which covered up U.K. pedophile ring) mentions “art” and pictures of children....they don’t dare post the image. Why? #pizzagate" -- Mike Cernovich

"The Clintons were running a pedophile ring. It’s been in the emails all of the time. We just weren’t able to see the code." -- Mike Cernovich

"Some truly sick stuff going on in #PodestaEmails. It’s some sort of sex trafficking ring. That’s why Julian said these emails = prison." -- Mike Cernovich

These type of attacks are a cancer that is eating away at our collective faith in the news media, due mainly to the unbelievably high number of morons and enablers who either fall for this crap, or gleefully pass it along just because they want to. Bad faith "journalism" and weird propaganda channels like InfoWars and Alex Jones, Red State, The Gateway Pundit, Sean Hannity, Breibart, and Milo Yiannopoulos all contribute to this trash culture. James Gunn is just the latest victim. These people have weaponized slander, and our current climate of political tribalism has allowed this trend to fester.

It's funny though. As I read the tweets I posted above, I couldn't help but notice how similar, in tone, style, and theme, they are to the POTUS tweets. Maybe you noticed, too? This is not a coincidence.
Post 83 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid very well said!!!
Post 84 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Bad faith "journalism" and weird propaganda channels like InfoWars and Alex Jones, Red State, The Gateway Pundit, Sean Hannity, Breibart, and Milo

You forgot CNN
Post 85 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Bad faith "journalism" and weird propaganda channels like InfoWars and Alex Jones, Red State, The Gateway Pundit, Sean Hannity, Breibart, and Milo

You forgot CNN

CNN? Not even close. The comment was about systemic propaganda channels - sycophants like Fox and Friends. Apologists and liars. With CNN you're talking about actual news. If you don't like places that report actual facts, that's up to you, but it doesn't fit the pattern.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid You seem to be more concerned with who discovered these tweets and brought them into the public eye, then the actual content of the tweets.

Mike Cernovich is a terrible person for spreading blatantly false stories like Pizza-gate. But when you lump James Gunn's tweets in with Pizza-gate and other stories, you become a James Gunn apologist.

Your post above says that "James Gunn is just the latest victim." The only thing he is a victim of is his own lack of judgement to make those tweets in the first place.

Walt Disney Studio's official statement said:

"The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James' Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values, and we have severed our business relationship with him."

I'll just leave it at that.
Post 87 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You forgot CNN

CNN? Not even close. The comment was about systemic propaganda channels - sycophants like Fox and Friends. Apologists and liars. With CNN you're talking about actual news. If you don't like places that report actual facts, that's up to you, but it doesn't fit the pattern.

You may want to watch and read news from non biased reporting sites. Your eyes just may open on cnn (unless you're too stuck in a partisan position). CNN and fox are very much alike, almost mirror images of one another (except I think cnn is worse).

CNN is doing nothing but reporting on anti-republican agenda and fearmongering the masses about the president. Nonstop posting of "opinion" pieces that are written by those on the left. Think redstate for Democrats.
Post 88 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Yanney and Laurel, all over again.

Funny how ten people can see the same thing ten different ways.

I guess it depends on what type of lens you are looking through.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You forgot CNN

Post 90 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
CNN is an organized propaganda machine spewing biased and misleading information designed to influence public opinion.

FNN (Fake News Network) would be an accurate synonym for CNN.
Post 91 IP   flag post
As someone in the industry, I can say in my opinion the most unbiased news organization America had recently was Al Jazeera English....unfortunately their approach to putting actual news ahead of stories to maximize ratings for profits meant they just couldn't complete and packed up shop back in 2016

Fox and CNN do what they do simply because it gets viewers... it's not great journalism by any means, but it keeps them going in a declining TV market.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if this means Kraglin won't be in the cast of characters.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
As someone in the industry, I can say in my opinion the most unbiased news organization America had recently was Al Jazeera English....unfortunately their approach to putting actual news ahead of stories to maximize ratings for profits meant they just couldn't complete and packed up shop back in 2016

Fox and CNN do what they do simply because it gets viewers... it's not great journalism by any means, but it keeps them going in a declining TV market.

Yep...24 hr news cycle was the death of actual journalism and debate. If one were to present both sides of an issue and acknowledge that often two different viewpoints could both have valid concerns and resolutions to a problem just doesn't grab peoples attention.
Post 94 IP   flag post
This is making the rounds this afternoon...the cast released a unified statement in support of reinstating James Gunn as director of GOTG3.

Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Are any of them going to refuse to work for Disney in the future? It's a noble sentiment, but....
Post 96 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Thoughts and prayers, as well as support, mean little to nothing. Action is what makes things happen.

And I don't know why so many keep saying he is NOT guilty of what he was fired for. He admitted it all. He just rationalized it as "some sort of humor". Ask Kathy Griffin if that works out well.

Disney had every right to let him go. And they should have. They have a duty to their share holders and company. I mean, if ANY company would or should not tolerate that kind of action and history. It is DISNEY.

You reap what you sow. If you are not willing to suffer the consequences of what you do. Don't do it.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Ok..upfront..I don't really care all that much...Marvel will make a good movie with or without one director or the next, been working in corporate land too long - everyone everywhere doing anything is replaceable.

I'm all for the one gets what they deserve...but I also wonder about how long to you have to pay a price. It is my understanding that these had come out before and presumably there were repercussions at the time.

I don't know...he and everyone else should just move on...people who have done worst things have gone on to do greater things in their life, with or without regret or amends

Who's up for a Woody Allen film??
Post 98 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Thoughts and prayers, as well as support, mean little to nothing. Action is what makes things happen.

And I don't know why so many keep saying he is NOT guilty of what he was fired for. He admitted it all. He just rationalized it as "some sort of humor". Ask Kathy Griffin if that works out well.

Disney had every right to let him go. And they should have. They have a duty to their share holders and company. I mean, if ANY company would or should not tolerate that kind of action and history. It is DISNEY.

You reap what you sow. If you are not willing to suffer the consequences of what you do. Don't do it.

To be fair, ...and I'm not positioning myself in support of James Gunn nor the scum who brought him down purely for political reasons... let's not paint Disney as a totally virtuous company. Yes, they do owe it to their shareholders to maintain a high moral standard as part of their public image, but has Disney treated those who've done business with them ethically in every instance? Disney is not only capable, but pro-active when it comes to using their deep pockets to overwhelm those who try to avail themselves of their own rights. Food for thought.
Post 99 IP   flag post
it's a double whammy...that's what I dont like...he addressed these very same tweets years ago, publically..explained and apologized for them. Where was Disney then? Disney fell for this political ploy hook, line and sinker. How many times does someone have to pay for a mistake? Will Sony/Universal/Fox get to fire him in 8 years from now for these tweets as well? the employer has the right to fire him for this but just because they can doesn't mean they should. I dont like this situation because it means you can't make amends for past mistakes that you've already acknowledged. you're potentially forever trapped by a past moment of bad judgement.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like there might still be possibility of Gunn getting reinstated:

https://screenrant.com/guardians-galaxy-3-disney-james-gunn-rehire/
Post 101 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

Well, he did it, like, ten years ago. So basically what you are telling him is: If you're not willing to suffer the consequences of what you did ten years ago, then don't did it.

JG: I didn't did it. I mean, for ten years I haven't been doing it. Ten years ago was the last time I did that.
CF: Well, next time, don't did it for eleven years, at least.
JG: Oh, okay. Good advice. I will have made sure to have not did that this time next year.
Post 102 IP   flag post
600882 102 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?