Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

48th Edition Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide6924

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
The 48th Edition Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is out today. Also a digital copy can be downloaded from ha.com.
(Heritage also has the upgrade for $18)

Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster - I'm waiting for the 10 variant covers.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Hero Initiative cover for me.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Too expensive for outdated information and unrealistic pricing, but it's nice to have a copy to show the bare minimum prices.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Too expensive for outdated information and unrealistic pricing, but it's nice to have a copy to show the bare minimum prices.

you must not collect mad magazines or justice league of america
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Too expensive

$18 is not expensive. Most collectors spend that on bags and boards in a heartbeat.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Don't intend on ever buying one again. Haven't bought one in probably 20 years. I find it to be pretty much useless when there are online alternatives. Even an advisor who was well educated in the market prices couldn't get them to correct their incorrect pricing or their errors.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Too expensive

$18 is not expensive. Most collectors spend that on bags and boards in a heartbeat.

I think he means it's not worth $18 to him. $10 for a pack of chicklets is too expensive even though we can all afford it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
chicklets

Ha! I loved Chicklets as a kid.

Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
chicklets

Ha! I loved Chicklets as a kid.

lol!!!!! I love it!!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I had a copy of this on order as I recently got back into comics and find it easier to have a rough reference on the go....that being said Amazon Canada doesn't ship it until July 31st.

^^^FREE COMICS!!!!!!
Post 11 IP   flag post

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I wish there was a way just to get the market reports. Those are always a fun read.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Seriously...did anyone ever trade in comics for that mail in stuff?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Seriously...did anyone ever trade in comics for that mail in stuff?

No, but I wish I'd actually saved these cartoons. Little did I know that they'd disappear and a portion of my youth would be just a forgotten memory.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
For those reminiscing about old time candy and gum, check out this online store. They don't have Chicklets any more, but they do have Big League Chew, Big Red, rock candy, bubble gum and candy cigars and cigarettes, and a whole bunch of stuff that's not healthy!!!

Old Time Candy
Post 16 IP   flag post
@GAC, exactly.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
For those reminiscing about old time candy and gum, check out this online store. They don't have Chicklets any more, but they do have Big League Chew, Big Red, rock candy, bubble gum and candy cigars and cigarettes, and a whole bunch of stuff that's not healthy!!!

Old Time Candy

That is one SWEET LINK!
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Don't intend on ever buying one again. Haven't bought one in probably 20 years. I find it to be pretty much useless when there are online alternatives. Even an advisor who was well educated in the market prices couldn't get them to correct their incorrect pricing or their errors.

Same here. Not really worth the paper its printed on
Post 19 IP   flag post
The prices must be pulled out of the air at this point. In past editions, they didn't seem to come close to reality.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I read it for the articles
Post 21 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
I think it depends on what you are pricing. If you are into moderns and chasing variants, prices could fluctuate constantly. I agree the guide doesn't help much with those. But being a collector of Gold and Silver age, I think it's a must. That is still the go to source for getting an idea of value for those books. Again, it's not 100% accurate, but still necessary.

I did try the online ComicPriceGuide and found them to way over value most books.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Why is the digital version $30?!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
Never bought one, are prices on the high side or low side?
Post 24 IP   flag post
definitely low side for certain books.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
Why is the digital version $30?!!

For first time buyers. The upgrade is $18.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic
Never bought one, are prices on the high side or low side?

It's on the wrong side.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
IMHO the tone here is overly critical.

Prices are both too high and too low. But many prices are pretty much correct.

A once a year price guide obviously isn't going to keep up with hot variants (which often don't stay hot for much over a year) and with the latest movie/tv news. The OPG prices are typically too low on this material.

On the flip side, routine run type books in average conditions trend too high. Mid grade, non key SA and BA books often sell on eBay for 1/2 of what the OPG says.

There are usually reasons for too high and too low.

The Overstreet Price Guide has always embraced a long term view. It seems to sorta price stuff - most of the time - as moving average that looks at several years of sales. The OPG has always been - for the most part - cautious and conservative. This has..most would argue.. been overall a good thing for the comic book collecting hobby.

eBay sales aren't the only sales that are considered. A lot of comic store and major online sellers still report that they get close to OPG for books that sell for substantial discounts on eBay. I don't mean to single out any dealers. But Mile High Comics and My Comic Shop both come to mind - with different approaches. Mile High prices stuff at 2x Guide (or more) and then runs 50-60% off sales. That - according to Chuck anyway - do really well. MCS just grades really, really strictly on their consignment items. People pay the Fine Price for MCS Fine graded books because they believe they will actually get something closer to Very Fine. A cynic might also observe that some of big dealers and stores resist across the board reductions in guide prices because it means a drop in the "on paper" value of their inventory.

Also worth keeping in mind is that OPG's highest covered grade is 9.2. If you take that into consideration - some of the hot modern books that people tend to scold Overstreet for not getting right are not so far off. Because we are often talking about books that are worth hundreds of dollars in 9.8 and not much of anything in 9.2.

The Overstreet Price Guide has always been just a GUIDE. Not a bible. Not a list of items for sale. Not range of actual sales. Just a guide. When it had little in the way of competition it's first 20 years it may have FELT like a bible, but it never was. Even at it's zenith, prices varied greatly in different areas of the country, different comic book stores. Today - with lots of other sources of pricing information - the OPG is just one source. In today's market, smart buyers and sellers need to be consulting several sources of information. Not just one. GPA isn't going to tell you what Fantastic Four 200 in GD (2.0) is worth because no one was stupid enough to send one in to be graded and encapsulated... 5.5 (FN-) is the lowest graded copy. That might not be a great example - it's just the first thing that came to mind. But the point is valid. If you want to be successful as a buyer or a seller, you have to use multiple references in today's market for value. The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is one of those references.

Just my 2 cents...
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
WTB: Your Overstreet 48th for half price after you are done flipping through it and reading all the advertisements. $12 + Media Mail Shipping is the offer. Thank you.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoy the articles and the market report.I bought one because at the beginning of August, I am having a surgery and will be laying around afterwards for over 2 weeks. Reading it will be a good way to pass the time.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597868 54 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?