Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Please grade and advise on my Iron Man 16894

Collector Deesnutz private msg quote post Address this user
Where are you guys from? I’m in commerce township. Any hidden gem shops still around?
Post 26 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesnutz
Where are you guys from? I’m in commerce township. Any hidden gem shops still around?

I'm in Farmington. There's no hidden gems I've found. I primarily find my back issues at the local comic con/expos put on by Great Lakes. I really like the February Great Lakes Comic Con, it's the biggest show they do.
CBCS sets up there along with artists (had Steranko this year) so I make my annual submissions to save on shipping.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Deesnutz private msg quote post Address this user
Ya, I’d like to find a better shop then comic city. They don’t even have bags and boards😕
Post 28 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing wrong with what u bought if u enjoy them
Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
Excellent feedback everybody, thanks!
CaptainMyke, all pages are still attached, pages not brittle.

I paid $180 but it was part of a raw book package deal including a 0.5 complete & attached X men 12, 2.0 X men 22, Batman 136 mid-grade, 1.8 Justice League of America 8, and 3.0 Daredevil 28.

The Batman 136 I may start a new post with. It’s a great looking book and a cool Joker cover. It’s my 1st silver age Batman.

Hey Joosh just wondering why you buy low grade books? Is it just for the joy to own? Investment wise it's a bad decision.

low grade books can certainly be for investment purposes.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
About as ugly as a book can get. I would definitely not put another penny into it.

I have to agree with what others have stated, That there is really no investment value in that book.

$25 would be my top offer and only if I had a buyer at $50 (or $180?)

Sorry to be so critical, I just think it was a Very bad purchase at that price.
Post 31 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Get it pressed by someone who has had years of experience. I use CFP Comics. It may not improve the grade, but it will certainly improve the appearance.

Plus, I have made considerable money from buying and selling low grade key books. There's no shame in low grade keys. You have a considerably larger market.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
It is a cool book to own, dare I say in any condition.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesnutz
I am in Milford. I like Comic City for their huge new book selection. You might want to take a ride to Howell. There is a store called BC Comics. They had 3 other locations and condensed all 3 stores into 1 store. They have a really nice back selection.I would say about 100 long boxes of older books.Have you ever been to Time Travelers in Berkley? If you have not, it would be worth the drive. The owner is a cooky guy with a ton of stuff. I used to work over that way and would go there frequently. I have found some really nice Bronze age books there on numerous occasions.
Post 34 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Get it pressed by someone who has had years of experience. I use CFP Comics. It may not improve the grade, but it will certainly improve the appearance.

Plus, I have made considerable money from buying and selling low grade key books. There's no shame in low grade keys. You have a considerably larger market.

Exactly!!!!!!
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Batman 136 graded in mid-range (4.5-5.5) would probably be worth about $150-$180...so everything else in the lot you picked up is just gravy. So essentially, the Iron Man 1 and the other nice titles were throw ins....

Either way, Iron Man 1 is a cool book...and regardless of condition, you own a copy of it. Enjoy.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Quote:

I paid $180 but it was part of a raw book package deal including a 0.5 complete & attached X men 12, 2.0 X men 22, Batman 136 mid-grade, 1.8 Justice League of America 8, and 3.0 Daredevil 28.

The Batman 136 I may start a new post with. It’s a great looking book and a cool Joker cover. It’s my 1st silver age Batman.

Hey Joosh just wondering why you buy low grade books? Is it just for the joy to own? Investment wise it's a bad decision.

low grade books can certainly be for investment purposes.

That's what I did. Bunch of low grade key books. Sold them bought AF 15 low grade with that
Post 37 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
SteveRogers11, That’s a good plan to get a grail book. My problem is I have a hard time selling anything that isn’t a duplicate in my pc. I like them all.

I’ll put up pics of my Batman 136 later, would like to know what the experts think it graded at. I’m new to silver age Batman but I’m really digging the cover art.

I’m going to contact CFP about seeing if he sees a challenge in making the best of my Iron Man 1.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Let's see the Batman 136.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 40 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Lots wrong...but lots that would improve.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
As long as it doesn't fall apart, it would be an improvement. Curious to see what a press would do.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh - If you like low-grade Number 1’s, this copy might be right up your alley.

Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
It has some defects but it's still a cool book.
Post 44 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
I never claimed it was for investment.
Sorry I bought bad books I guess? 🤷‍♂️

You're posting the books and asking for opinions.

I just find it amusing that you appear to be wearing gloves handling this book.

He could have purple skin. Ever think of it that way.
Post 45 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
As long as it doesn't fall apart, it would be an improvement. Curious to see what a press would do.

I wonder how brittle the pages are? If they are supple, I've seen some amazing transformations. I'm a gambler. Were it mine I'd make it a keeper and get it as fully restored as possible.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Be a fun pressing project. That book is in demand more than I ever thought possible. And since you won’t sell anything, you checked another off the list. I never upgrade myself. Too many books I do not own
Post 48 IP   flag post
Will have pictures of the before and after tomorrow night.
Post 49 IP   flag post

Post 50 IP   flag post
Lol I expected another 5 months. Forgot who I sent it to. 🤣
Post 51 IP   flag post

Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Referencing the turnaround at CBCS. Just playin, be cool.
I’ve got books at CBCS from February, but I knew what I was getting into.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Lol I expected another 5 months. Forgot who I sent it to. 🤣

Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
I picked this up at a local comic expo yesterday. I’m thrilled to finally own a copy. This one is rough but all in one piece and nothing missing. The price was right so I pulled the trigger.

What’s the current grade?
Can the spine roll be fixed?
Should it be fixed?

Thanks everyone!

Post 55 IP   flag post
600729 75 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?