Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Please grade and advise on my Iron Man 16894

SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I picked this up at a local comic expo yesterday. I’m thrilled to finally own a copy. This one is rough but all in one piece and nothing missing. The price was right so I pulled the trigger.

What’s the current grade?
Can the spine roll be fixed?
Should it be fixed?

Thanks everyone!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
2.0, keep the spine roll
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Deesnutz private msg quote post Address this user
I’d fix the spine roll and press it. May not bring it up a bunch but would benefit visually.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesnutz
I’d fix the spine roll and press it. May not bring it up a bunch but would benefit visually.

Ditto
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
Grade 2.0
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
How much did you pay for this? Even the staples are rusted. Pretty Ugly
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
how many pages are detached from the centerfold and staples?

1.0-1.5 Fair

frayed edges, creasing, corner creases, abraded corners, soiling, staining, bad spine roll, pages creamy, numerous stress lines, water staining on back.

I would not press it. It would barely fix the wavy bends and waves on front cover. Cleaning would help, but the stress lines and very fragile spine makes me wary

I hope you paid less than $150
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

1.0-1.5 Fair

frayed edges, creasing, corner creases, abraded corners, soiling, staining, bad spine roll, pages creamy, numerous stress lines, water staining on back.

I would not press it. It would barely fix the wavy bends and waves on front cover. Cleaning would help, but the stress lines and very fragile spine makes me wary

I'm thinking more along the lines of what you said.
I definitely wouldn't put more money into it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:

1.0-1.5 Fair

I wouldn't buy this at all. Hypothetically, If I was forced to make an offer my max would be $50
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah Id give it a 1.5, that thing is beat.

I would press it, but it would be a long slow process, and just to make it present a little better.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Enjoy it as it is, for what it is. A copy of Iron Man #1.

It is NOT an investment.

Maybe some day you will be able to trade it for something not so sought after, but in better condition.

I'm guessing (hoping), you paid around fifty bucks for it. Maybe a little more.

I once paid $600.00 for something worth about $50.00

Spur of the moment Ebay buy with the clock running out. Totally my fault.
Post 11 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Excellent feedback everybody, thanks!
CaptainMyke, all pages are still attached, pages not brittle.

I paid $180 but it was part of a raw book package deal including a 0.5 complete & attached X men 12, 2.0 X men 22, Batman 136 mid-grade, 1.8 Justice League of America 8, and 3.0 Daredevil 28.

The Batman 136 I may start a new post with. It’s a great looking book and a cool Joker cover. It’s my 1st silver age Batman.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh

I paid $180 but it was part of a raw book package deal including a 0.5 complete & attached X men 12, 2.0 X men 22, Batman 136 mid-grade, 1.8 Justice League of America 8, and 3.0 Daredevil 28.

The Batman 136 I may start a new post with. It’s a great looking book and a cool Joker cover. It’s my 1st silver age Batman.

Hey Joosh just wondering why you buy low grade books? Is it just for the joy to own? Investment wise it's a bad decision.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I never claimed it was for investment.
Sorry I bought bad books I guess? 🤷‍♂️
Post 14 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

You're posting the books and asking for opinions.

I just find it amusing that you appear to be wearing gloves handling this book.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I wear latex gloves. Fight me.
Post 17 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Your money, your book, your liking. Everyone else is irrelevant and secondary on how they think the book should be.
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

🤣👌🏻
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Even when you're handling a beater like that?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:

Oh just curious. No offense meant. If it’s nice to have that sort of thing congrats.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I usually wear gloves, especially on an old beater comic. The things it might have contacted/contracted... And for the record, my gloves are latex free.

No offense taken, didn’t mean to come off that way. I appreciate the opinions I asked for; doesn’t mean I like all of them.
If I want to buy comics for investment I’ll stock up on mid-grade Super-Pro #1’s, obviously.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh Did you go to the Great Lakes show near St.Clair Shores? I was busy but was wondering if there was another show that I was not aware of.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@Joosh Did you go to the Great Lakes show near St.Clair Shores? I was busy but was wondering if there was another show that I was not aware of.

Yep that's the one. Great Lakes Comic Expo. Very small venue but jam packed with boxes and boxes of books.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips

Yep that's the one. Great Lakes Comic Expo. Very small venue but jam packed with boxes and boxes of books.
I am glad to hear that they had lots of books. I have set up at that show before but it is a hike for me.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Where are you guys from? I’m in commerce township. Any hidden gem shops still around?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesnutz
Where are you guys from? I’m in commerce township. Any hidden gem shops still around?

I'm in Farmington. There's no hidden gems I've found. I primarily find my back issues at the local comic con/expos put on by Great Lakes. I really like the February Great Lakes Comic Con, it's the biggest show they do.
CBCS sets up there along with artists (had Steranko this year) so I make my annual submissions to save on shipping.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Ya, I’d like to find a better shop then comic city. They don’t even have bags and boards😕
Post 28 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing wrong with what u bought if u enjoy them
Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Quote:

Hey Joosh just wondering why you buy low grade books? Is it just for the joy to own? Investment wise it's a bad decision.

low grade books can certainly be for investment purposes.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600771 75 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?