Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSP

Verification color change?6883

Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
PGX's signature books are silver labelled.

Meh, I don't think that matters. PGX doesn't have a trademark on the color silver. I mean, CGC uses gold and so does CBCS.

I understand that anything PGX does and/or uses is frowned upon, but I honestly don't think if CBCS changed their VSP label from red to silver it would be a big deal at all. PGX's and CBCS' logos/labels look a lot different one from the other.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
PGX's signature books are silver labelled.

Meh, I don't think that matters. PGX doesn't have a trademark on the color silver. I mean, CGC uses gold and so does CBCS.

I understand that anything PGX does and/or uses is frowned upon, but I honestly don't think if CBCS changed their VSP label from red to silver it would be a big deal at all. PGX's and CBCS' logos/labels look a lot different one from the other.

Gold and yellow are easily discernible. One type of signature label could be a shade of yellow and the other Gold. It seems like that would resolve most issues, except perhaps for severely color blind collectors.

Things like this do matter. I'd think silver would be a non-starter as CBCS using any label color that automatically leads to comparisons with PGX doesn't seem like a very well thought out idea.

There are only two currently accepted grading companies who have demonstrated a history of standing behind reliable product. If PGX's witnessed labels differ from CGC and CBCS by being silver then I'd think it would be prudent to avoid that color's use for CBCS witnessed signature labels or expert verification signatures to avoid any potential collector confusion over what that color indicates.

Changes like these should be carefully decided, and the rationale for implementation easily defendable to customers.

Again, this is just one collectors opinion; other's mileage may very and I'm good with that.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I do think gold makes some sense given that was Beckett's colour for comic grading (wasnt it). and essentially beckett database is being used for verification going forward right?

Metallic silver would be cool though as it would allow the comic to be all the source of colour
Post 53 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Self-witnessed signatures should be red.

Verified signatures should be yellow
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Changing colors is a rabbit hole IMO. It gets confusing for the casual consumer or entry-level collector, who already has to deal with multiple colors and/or labels from past changes by CGC and CBCS. And the idea that collectors will not buy a red label now, but would buy the same book (possibly at a higher price) if slabbed with a label of a different color, is questionable. What's the logic?
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Changing colors is a rabbit hole IMO. It gets confusing for the casual consumer or entry-level collector, who already has to deal with multiple colors and/or labels from past changes by CGC and CBCS. And the idea that collectors will not buy a red label now, but would buy the same book (possibly at a higher price) if slabbed with a label of a different color, is questionable. What's the logic?
we are talking about scribbling on books, and whether a certain colour gives more assurance that said scribble was actually done by the person that says it is, because none of the methods are really all that lock tight.

One mob has cornered the market with labels coloured yellow and this mob also does it. people are selected that are able to verify books (including their own books) that were scribbled on were done in front of them by a particular person .there is no proof required other than their say so - yet people are confident as when they pay lots of $ to get this done to their book, it works out no questions asked.

This side has another way. They can check if the scribble looks like other scribble in a database to say that they are confident the scribble was by who they say it was. And they put a red label on it. Sometimes an actual signature may fail the test, which is discouraging for folks who put up the expensive fees only to get a rejected scribble.

The whole topic is questionable..hence why perception is so important
Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

It may be questionable to some collectors, but it's a provable fact. Most folks have basic subconscious reactions to different colors and those reactions influence their buying preferences.

From a distance, it's the color you see first that leaves an impression. Blue is easily identifiable as universal and ...for want of a better description... appeals to the eye as something pure.

Purple, has come to represent restoration or non-manufacturing defect repair of some kind. Unfortunately, this color arbitrarily represented both restoration and widely accepted professional preservation when first applied and has been difficult to walk back.

Red, like purple, comes across as something less than ideal. Most people see red as a warning or cautionary color.

Yellow has come to be accepted as the color of signatures. There wasn't much special about this color before witness verification, but it has come to represent that and so it should remain.

IMO, Gold would convey similar interest to autograph seekers as yellow, with the difference being expert verification taking the place of an arranged witness.

The other color to avoid is green, simply because it has come to represent incomplete or potentially manipulated books (replaced staples, etc.).

As I've stated many times before, this is just my opinion, even though well informed. That said, that doesn't preclude others having a different POV.
Post 57 IP   flag post
The logic behind this is that using a color other than red will remove the stigma of a red label. Why wouldn't people just associate that new color with what they used to believe a red label represents? Only the shadow knows!
Post 58 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I don't get this....red means danger or stop when we're talking about traffic lights or warning labels. what about ketchup? I'm pretty sure Heinz is doing alright and its red. What about the McDonalds logo? There's red there and as their signs says; billions and billions served. My point is; red means sig is verified...verified by a respected, authoratative company..it would still mean that if the label was orange, gold or brown. The color itself is meaningless.
Post 59 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
There's a reason it's called the Purple Label of Death (PLOD).
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
The logic behind this is that using a color other than red will remove the stigma of a red label. Why wouldn't people just associate that new color with what they used to believe a red label represents? Only the shadow knows!

Whatever decision is made, I'm with The Shadow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I don't get this....red means danger or stop when we're talking about traffic lights or warning labels. what about ketchup? I'm pretty sure Heinz is doing alright and its red. What about the McDonalds logo? There's red there and as their signs says; billions and billions served. My point is; red means sig is verified...verified by a respected, authoratative company..it would still mean that if the label was orange, gold or brown. The color itself is meaningless.

Heinz Ketchup is great, but I don't want ketchup on my comics or labels. Besides, McDonald's has had it's own issues lately ...let's just say these are not Ronald's salad days..., but the fast food giant's problems are about greens, not reds.

Hey, given current events, red seems to be an increasingly popular color in some parts of the country these days, but for signature verification m'thinks yellow or gold is more attractive. Of course, as always, mileage varies.
Post 61 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
For those that feel color is important how about using some of the old fantastic QVC colors - y'know Pumpkin Spice, Green Spruce, Chocolate Muffin, Sparkling Peony. Why stop at such boring colors like just "gold", or "Silver". Nahhh.... go crazy! Provide an option for adding color tinting to the plastic cases. Anyone for hot pink tinted plastic?
Post 62 IP   flag post
I think the overall message here is that buyer beware on scribbled book as given it really is so hard to prove legitimacy, even the colour of the label changes the perceived authenticity . For now the trust is in yellow.. One scandal and it will be frowned upon.

I personally would never ever pay a premium for a signed book in any one of these slabs for my PC - ever. It's a house of cards imo.. but will consider taking advantage in selling one if appropriate in the market.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
i want a black label. Black is always the coolest color. And when it's on a label you know it's serious.

Edit: oh, and gold leaf lettering too.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
If a color change is truly in the works, orange is a reasonable choice. In the world of print production, orange is a mixture of red and yellow inks.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
If a color change is truly in the works, orange is a reasonable choice. In the world of print production, orange is a mixture of red and yellow inks.

Let me go on the record as having doubts about the appeal of labels that are the same color as prison jump suits.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
I love the VSP but lez be honest here, the VSP labels are NOT RED, they're PINK.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user

Post 68 IP   flag post
@Odins_Raven, mind blown.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
@Odins_Raven, mind blown.

🤯😳
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
I love the VSP but lez be honest here, the VSP labels are NOT RED, they're PINK.

Not mine, it's more of a tangerine or watermelon color fading into white...

I'm still solidly behind the Gold or bronze suggestion. The off-red color just doesn't elicit the kind of favorable reaction one would prefer to have on first impression of a holdered book & label.

No dog in this hunt, but I don't see any downside to revisiting the label color issue with the idea of having a closer coordination between CBCS witnessed and verified labels. My 2 cents.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
i like this better where it say Verified signature under the logo.

this you can even see without reading the who thing.

Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector VictorCreed private msg quote post Address this user
A gold label for verified books would get my vote.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
For those that feel color is important how about using some of the old fantastic QVC colors - y'know Pumpkin Spice, Green Spruce, Chocolate Muffin, Sparkling Peony. Why stop at such boring colors like just "gold", or "Silver". Nahhh.... go crazy! Provide an option for adding color tinting to the plastic cases. Anyone for hot pink tinted plastic?
Halo offers five different color options for their slabs(other than clear).
*** Edited by mods - only CBCS and CGC slabs are allowed to be shown on the forum ***
Post 74 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Oh my,

Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinthecity
** Edited by mods - only CBCS and CGC slabs are allowed to be shown on the forum **

I understand PGX, being that they’ve done shady/illega practices in the past, but any idea why a slab from Australia is not allowed?
Post 76 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer In a nut shell, in my own words, CBCS only wants to be compared to CGC. To help achieve that, only CGC slabs are allowed on the forum. CBCS IS a company, and as such, they want a certain image. This is my own explanation for this policy after many discussions on this topic.
Post 77 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I initially suggested both sig types should be yellow, but I now vote for verification getting gold labels.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
What about a speckle foil color
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253
What about a speckle foil color

I'm sensing sarcasm, and I like it
Post 80 IP   flag post
600839 83 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?