Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Comics only available in other countries6879

Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
wanted to create this thread so people can share about Great comic books that were only available outside the US.

As a Kid I remember reading "Alucine" which were made in Spain and each issue was a horro anthology, very fascinating and that artwork was increadible, especially on the covers, you can see more here:

https://www.tebeosfera.com/publicaciones/alucine_1984_bruguera.html#top_galeria_galeria_muestras_1

Unfortunately they are no longer produce, so the only way to read them is to find a link to a download of the scans.
If you can read spanish, I recommend trying to get them

Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Ladic Thank you for sharing these!!! I LOVE seeing international comics, especially original horror ones!! I hope others post more. I'll share the four I have from Germany, even though I don't read German!! LOL

One a side note, I just today created a horror section for the Foreign Comic Collectors Forum. Feel free to swing by and take a look. Or better yet, join up, if you're not a member yet, and share some of these beauties there!!

FCC Forum

Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Ladic @Jesse_O Those covers are AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector chameleoncolors private msg quote post Address this user
Cool stuff would the pence variants of marvel keys be included I got a few of those 😉
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Got these when I was a kid living in England...I can't recall ever seeing them in Canada (or North America) before. They're pocket book reprints of the Conan run available only in the UK...it only lasted 13 issues I believe before they pulled the plug because Savage Sword of Conan was getting all the sales.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Here's another personal one from the UK. The below one is Indiana Jones comic I got as a kid and read many, many times...

Cut to living in Canada years later I saw some more Indiana Jones comics, I picked up the first 5 issues including the one below...

Started reading them and thought "I've read this before"...Below is a side by side comparison, the UK ones were actually reprints of the North American version in a Magazine Digest style comic (this one had 4 and parts of issue 5 in it)...North American on the Left, UK on the Right....personally, I think the UK Black and White looks a lot nicer than the colored America version.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Ok Last one - Tarzan Monthly from back in 1978...back then if I recall correctly, comics in the UK back then were branded "Weekly" and "Monthly" on the covers. Inside cover indicates it was actually printed in Finland...

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens
Cool stuff would the pence variants of marvel keys be included I got a few of those 😉

This has generated many a discussion in the past across various sites.

Here is a paraphrasing of a post I made "across the street" in their Marvel Pence Variants post :

This is Amazing Spider-Man 45 :

And this is the US produced pence variant :

Both of the above issues are from the GC Database and are side by side in the US section.

Below are a few foreign reprints which are from the foreign section of GCD :

:

As you can see foreign reprints are easily distinguished even when they are in English as not only are layouts/colours/titles etc different there will always be indicia inside citing the foreign publishers and printers, as well as having ads for the Country in which they were produced.

I merely present facts to show the difference between US produced pence variants (which have the same indicias -printer and publisher- as the US versions as well as having the same US ads) and the foreign reprints.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
It's pretty common knowledge that International comics is something I specialize in. Here's a link to my site for anyone interested that's never seen it.

www.myforeigncomics.webs.com
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Redshade if you recall, we have discussed before how ANY books printed for the first time in another country by another publisher are referred to as editions. You correctly distinguish the comics printed by Marvel in the USA, and intended for distribution in the UK, as variants. But to call all foreign comics "reprints" is erroneous. I know is a very common mistake in the comic book collecting community, that is why I keep bringing it up. It really is not a matter of semantics either. There ARE foreign reprints. This happens when the same publisher publishes the same comic again. By calling all international editions "reprints", you are just adding confusion to the subject.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
It's pretty common knowledge that International comics is something I specialize in. Here's a link to my site for anyone interested that's never seen it.

www.myforeigncomics.webs.com

Hi Tim.
The above link transferred me to the home page but the internal link didn't work ( the foreigncomicscollector link:
Sorry, this page was not found.
Looks like the page you were looking for is no longer available.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Redshade That's weird, it seems to work fine when I click on it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:

I tried a few times with the same error message.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Quote:

I tried a few times with the same error message.

It's working for me...
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Redshade Could it be something in your browser settings that's preventing it from loading?
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

I know that there are endless discussions in the book trade as to what constitutes a true first edition. Some books are reprinted as "First Edition, Second Impression" for instance and I agree that it is a minefield and not one I would wish to argue.

I was merely trying to simplify the difference between US pence variants and foreign books. I specifically did not want to get into the reprints/editions debate.

My post was in answer to a question from another poster. I presented some facts to let him make up his own mind as to how to answer his own question. This was/is intended to be good-humoured and not at all contentious.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Redshade Could it be something in your browser settings that's preventing it from loading?

Now you're getting a little too technical for me. I am a self-taught senior citizen and non too savvy about modern technology.

All I know is that my laptop is windows 10 and I use a firefox search engine.

PS. Thanks for your reply but please don't waste any time on the matter.

PPS. I just searched in a new tab "foreigncomiccollectors" and got in without any problem. I wonder if that final "/" was throwing my system?
Post 17 IP   flag post
WRONG EDIT
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Now you're getting a little too technical for me. I am a self-taught senior citizen and non too savvy about modern technology.

PPS. I just searched in a new tab "foreigncomiccollectors" and got in without any problem. I wonder if that final "/" was throwing my system?
If it makes you feel any better... I'm 46 and suffer from the same hindrances when it comes to technology.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If it makes you feel any better... I'm 46 and suffer from the same hindrances when it comes to technology.

And yet my nephew's daughter was calling great grandma on the phone before she could even talk. At age 5 she was appalled that a house didn't have wi-fi (someone had lied to her).
Post 20 IP   flag post
My only German comic

Post 21 IP   flag post
@X51 Great cover!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Here's a couple from my site. I don't recall off the top of my head what issue(s) of Superman are in this one from Belgium.

This one's a bit more interesting IMO, it's an adaptation of Jaws from Argentina.

Post 23 IP   flag post
I just googled "Panini Italy" and "Panini France" and have posted links below.

http://comics.panini.it/store/pub_ita_it/magazines/cmc-m.html?dir=desc&order=pnn_data_uscita&pnn_layered_available=761179

http://www.paninicomics.fr/web/guest/home

I'm sure that there will be other countries which have Panini comics in their own languages.
Post 24 IP   flag post
For really hard-core collectors have a look at this listing from ebay Italy :

https://www.ebay.it/itm/LUOMO-RAGNO-SPIDER-MAN-lotto-completa-1-649-STAR-COMICS-MARVEL-ITALIA-poster/391575192795?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20170831090034%26meid%3D997ab5e37db74490a5592cc3378b9279%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D401564901578%26itm%3D391575192795&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
@X51 Great cover!

I worked with the sister of a band member. She got me the comic.

https://theother.de/
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
For really hard-core collectors have a look at this listing from ebay Italy :

https://www.ebay.it/itm/LUOMO-RAGNO-SPIDER-MAN-lotto-completa-1-649-STAR-COMICS-MARVEL-ITALIA-poster/391575192795?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20170831090034%26meid%3D997ab5e37db74490a5592cc3378b9279%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D401564901578%26itm%3D391575192795&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
My advice on that would be to assemble the run yourself, for 2 reasons.

1) The thrill of the hunt and a sense of accomplishment once it's completed.

2) It can be done for far less than 3,600 Euros.
Post 27 IP   flag post
For anyone interested in foreign comics, the Foreign Comic Collectors Forum has just added a marketplace. It was just done today, so there isn't anything posted on it at the moment, but word is getting spread. There is even a section to post in if you are looking for copies of certain editions. Swing by and check out the whole forum!!

FCC Forum
Post 28 IP   flag post
This Mexican edition of Detective Comics #359, that CGC graded a 3.5, just sold for $305 plus shipping tonight. Not too bad if you ask me!!

Post 29 IP   flag post
What a terrible label.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601460 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?