Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics MagazinesComics Modern AgePop CultureQuestions

Diamond damages... An ongoing epidemic!6845

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user

In the video, Bryan from Phil's Comic Shoppe in South Florida is talking about the ongoing epidemic of damaged shipments from Diamond. Not only the initial order delivery but the hassle with reorders and the costs associated with lost sales and storage of returns.

He makes some great points! I'd love to hear from some other retailers on this subject and your experience with Diamond
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Diamond has been a problem for decades. Decades.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
This happens with all collectibles I used to do Funko presales I stopped because stuff arrives damaged more than people understand to where the profit in reselling is non existent the companies don't care at the end of the day they are going to make money regardless
Post 3 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I agree but unless something is done it will continue to be a problem for decades to come
Post 4 IP   flag post
lol @Robert86m you could sell those as the "crushed corner variants"
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
but unless something is done it will continue to be a problem

As long as Diamond is the monopoly there will never be anything different to cause change. There needs to be another distributor besides Diamond.
Post 6 IP   flag post
https://www.ranker.com/list/dark-facts-about-diamond-distributors/jacob-shelton
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert86m
This happens with all collectibles I used to do Funko presales I stopped because stuff arrives damaged more than people understand to where the profit in reselling is non existent the companies don't care at the end of the day they are going to make money regardless

From what I’ve been told, Funko doesn’t pad the shipping boxes in any way. POP! figures are just tightly packed side-by-side. No paper, bubble wrap, or packing peanuts whatsoever.

I doubt diamond does much better. But I’m not a retailer, so, I don’t speak from experience.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim yup you get crappy shipping boxes with all the pops crammed in it , Looks like both are just as bad shipping
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
https://www.ranker.com/list/dark-facts-about-diamond-distributors/jacob-shelton

I've been active in the hobby for a long time. The article misses a few things. While Diamond has a monopoly and much of what was said is true, the author entirely skips over what started that monopoly rolling. It was Marvel Comics and their (ultimately) failed attempt at buying a distributor (Heroes World) to exclusively distribute Marvel's comics that created the environment that lead to Diamond's eventual monopoly. Marvel in 1994 actually blamed the DISTRIBUTORS for Marvel's declining sales. All those distributors were making it too easy for OTHER companies to sell comics.

No longer able to handle Marvel's comics, the other distributors scrambled to make similar exclusive deals. Diamond signed DC, the other big prize. Capital I believe signed Dark Horse. After Marvel spent months watching their market share tumble and their distribution be a wicked mess, they gave up, resigning with Diamond. It was at that time Diamond ended up being the last distributor standing. Now exclusive distributor for the top two publishers, the remaining small publishers came back to Diamond.

The article also makes it sound as though a $2500 minimum total retailer order is some sort of ridiculous high standard to distribute a comic. This isn't a hobby for Diamond, it is a business. If your comic book doesn't sell even 800 copies through Diamond (there are 2300 comic book stores in North America) then come on. These numbers are indeed "visit comic book stores and beg them to put a few issues out" territory.

As for the initial post - yeah. Damage and shortages on orders from Diamond are not just a problem. They are a problem with no alternative solution. I doubt there is enough money in distributing comic books to attract a deep pocketed competitor.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim @Robert86m At least the Pop! boxes are thin cardboard w/ a slight amount of give. I've purchased two cases of Pop! Stacks (the hard plastic protector) from Funko; they're packaged the same way: crammed in next to each other six to a box, and six boxes to a case. Both times, the eight Stacks at the corners of the big box have been broken; either large cracks or shattered completely. Losing 22% of the product in any given shipment is untenable, so I've given up on Stacks as Pop protectors.
Post 11 IP   flag post
In the video in the OP, he talks about a possible solution. Instead of 2 medium boxes crammed in to a large diamond box at 50-60 lbs (enough that the USPS person doesn't want to carry it) do just one with padding between the medium and large. Shipping costs will go up a little, but the other costs will go down and so will the frequency damages (which means lost sales, storage costs, etc).

Most damages on the books come at the corners where the box is dropped during shipping and there is no padding in the box.

We all know diamond's issues and they've been around for a while. But he provides a viable solution
Post 12 IP   flag post
600633 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?