Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

😭😭😭 Ever received Damaged Books?684

Collector Verde private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a Skottie Young variant of Spider-Gwen, and it was damaged via USPS and I'm on the verge of tears...

Have you guys/gals ever bought a book from eBay with massive anticipation and it shows up damaged?

That one crease damaged every page of the book. Even the back cover... Sigh.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
get a refund if you bought it on eBay.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector samediarchon private msg quote post Address this user
Oh yeah. I always ask for insurance if it's something I want to have graded or something I want to potentially resell.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Verde private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to see if it can get replaced. I need it for Cincy Comicon. Skottie Young is gonna be there, and want it signed and graded by CBCS who is also gonna be there... I can't submit a damaged book.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ohhh yea thats a definitive bummer.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Absolutely, usually from sellers who have no idea how to package comics for shipping.
I usually will send them back, leave negative feedback and never purchase ANYTHING from them ever again.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Captain_Aspirin private msg quote post Address this user
You'd be surprised how many big comic sellers on ebay have no clue either.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Captain_Aspirin

thats Frightening....
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I've been lucky, I've only had one poor packaging experience from eBay, 99.99% of my eBay purchases have come very well packed.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
I got a couple ones from midtown with a bunch of spine creases. It's a zenescope comic, so not really worth anything. Still annoys me to this day though.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Shame, looks like an easy press job.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Man, I have a package in transit from Midtown as we speak, way to jinx me.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Man, I have a package in transit from Midtown as we speak, way to jinx me.

I'm sure it'll be ok. I've gotten hundreds of comics from them and it was an isolated incident.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
All the time. I despise media mail, yet some sellers prefer to use it because it's cheap. You get what you pay for, I guess. I bought a set of Bishop 1-4 and it was shipped media mail. Looked like the Macho Man came off the top rope onto the package. It was bent totally in half. Seller was cool and did a complete refund. Other times, it's because sellers don't know how to pack. Usually just putting a book in an envelope and shipping it out. Had a couple of those recently. Most times, everything is good to go.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I once received an order from ebay for a set of "High Grade" comics. Came with a packing slip that was signed by the employee for quality assurance. They were taped to the bottom of a box, beat up, and one issue had rusted staples. I contacted to seller and they basically told me since I paid under $20 that I didn't pay enough money to get what was advertised. Thousands of positive feedback, been selling for years. Well known seller too. It's safe to say 50% of what I buy on ebay comes damaged.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Aspirin
I once received an order from ebay for a set of "High Grade" comics. Came with a packing slip that was signed by the employee for quality assurance. They were taped to the bottom of a box, beat up, and one issue had rusted staples. I contacted to seller and they basically told me since I paid under $20 that I didn't pay enough money to get what was advertised. Thousands of positive feedback, been selling for years. Well known seller too. It's safe to say 50% of what I buy on ebay comes damaged.

Tell us the name!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I despise media mail, yet some sellers prefer to use it because it's cheap. You get what you pay for, I guess.

Agreed.
However I just sent out a book using media mail, but I pack VERY well and I don't use it for high grade items, only VG/FN or less.
High grade books go out via 1st class or priority depending on value, but still very well packed.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I despise media mail, yet some sellers prefer to use it because it's cheap. You get what you pay for, I guess.

Agreed.
However I just sent out a book using media mail, but I pack VERY well and I don't use it for high grade items, only VG/FN or less.
High grade books go out via 1st class or priority depending on value, but still very well packed.

I've been getting packages via Media Mail on Ebay for 18 years. I've never had one opened/postage due and have never had a well-packed comic arrived damaged.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Some of these sellers are doing so much volume they can have dozens of negatives and still have 99.8% feedback. That's why I try to only deal with 100% sellers and if they are 99% I always check the number of negatives.

A lot of sellers I've been buying from have been using the Gemini mailers made specifically for comic books, and those things are great, never any signs of damage when I get those.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
I've been getting packages via Media Mail on Ebay for 18 years. I've never had one opened/postage due and have never had a well-packed comic arrived damaged.

Well-packed books never do arrive damaged.
That's the difference between someone who cares about the books and their buyers and someone who's just out to make money.
I want my buyers to be happy with their books(And come back to buy more.)
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Tell us the name!

The seller, after multiple emails and getting ebay involved refunded my money, and gave some excuse that is probably untrue. My story was meant to convey that even experienced comic sellers suck at shipping, and usually to save a buck. Normally I'd share the name but it was an ebay transaction and they seller is also a member here. I'm not here to call anyone out, just to share. It was resolved in the end, however time consuming an frustrating.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
I contacted to seller and they basically told me since I paid under $20 that I didn't pay enough money to get what was advertised.

Wow, that's BS!
I don't care if you spend $6 or $600, the customer should get what they expect and be happy with their purchase.
If a seller misrepresents the product they are selling they should absolutely be outed at every opportunity, if for no other reason than to shame them into being a better person.
Such business behavior is reprehensible.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tell us the name!

The seller, after multiple emails and getting ebay involved refunded my money, and gave some excuse that is probably untrue. My story was meant to convey that even experienced comic sellers suck at shipping, and usually to save a buck.

Boooooo! Names or it didn't happen.

Quote:
Normally I'd share the name but it was an ebay transaction and the seller is also a member here.

Even more reason to tell us his ID!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Damn peer pressure from people I don't know and will probably never meet.....Here is the ebay name.

anthonyscomicbookart-online

That means it did happen now...right?
Post 24 IP   flag post
However to stay on the topic of bad shipping, all four comics were stacked and packing tape held them to the bottom of the box. All other things aside, that is not how you ship comic books.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
However to stay on the topic of bad shipping, all four comics were stacked and packing tape held them to the bottom of the box. All other things aside, that is not how you ship comic books.

Clearly that person has no business handling paper collectibles of any sort.
Thanks for the name, now I know not to buy anything from him.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
I've only had one bad experience (knocking on wood as we speak). Purchased a copy of ASM 238 on eBay, graded a 9.4 by CGC (old case). Seller put the slab in the bag it came in, taped a piece of cardboard to the front and back, put it in a bubble mailer envelope, and called it good. Needless to say the slab was ruined when it arrived. The only damage to the book itself was from a piece of the slab that fell down inside the slab and was wedged between the book and the slab. It created a very tiny dent in the front cover. Luckily, it will press out easy enough. The seller offered to replace it but truthfully I didn't completely trust him after that. He blamed he bad packaging on some app he was using to ship items he sold on eBay. I planned on cracking and resubmitting to CBCS anyway so I kept the book and sent it to CFP Comics to be pressed, cleaned, and submitted. The packaging job was just terrible. On a good note, I received a package today from a member here that was packaged excellently not to mention he gave me a great deal!

Everything you see in this picture is what was used to ship the book. Just awful.

Post 27 IP   flag post
It's funny. Every time I buy a slab to crack open and get signed it's shipped to be pretty much bomb proof. When it's one to keep, pretty much like yours above.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It's funny. Every time I buy a slab to crack open and get signed it's shipped to be pretty much bomb proof. When it's one to keep, pretty much like yours above.

I guess I was "lucky" because I was going to crack it anyway. Only bad experience so far.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Damn peer pressure from people I don't know and will probably never meet.....Here is the ebay name.

anthonyscomicbookart-online

That means it did happen now...right?

Wow, I've never had a problem buying from Anthony's store other than their not having a book I purchased once, but we swapped it for something else, NP.

"...didn't pay enough money to get what was advertised"

Post 30 IP   flag post
600869 47 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?