Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The SILVER AGE's greatest hits, misses and ground outs:6837

Collector CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Still hoping someone will bring up short lived series like Marvel's Amazing Adventures that turned into a showcase for Steve Ditko's Amazing Adult Fantasy before the final issue became Amazing Fantasy and introduced Spider-Man or D.C.'s Showcase and Brave & The Bold tryouts that didn't quite make the cut. These are all interesting and discussion worthy.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
The monster books are all pretty similar.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica - Speaking about Showcase, the Spectre was another Golden Age character that was resurrected in that title. After a few appearances in Showcase, he as given his own (short-lived) series. He then appeared in various titles over the years, and was given lead status again later in (Weird) Adventure Comics (with some killer covers by one of my favorite Batman artists Jim Aparo).

Here’s the first issue of his SA series.

Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I find Magnus, Robot Fighter a failure, although it was my favorite read as a very young kid. 46 issues, 22 by the great Russ Manning. His mini skirt was a bit weird, though.
Post 30 IP   flag post

When Amazing Adventures came out Marvel was already looking for something to move beyond the monster of the month flavor.

Don't get me wrong, I have an enduring affection for all those invading monster books and collected them ravenously for several years as a kid. That said, I was also fond of Amazing Adult Fantasy and became a devotee of Steve Ditko's finely stylized uncluttered art and AAF's O'Henry-esque plots.

Loads of fun, but apparently neither themed book had the circulation Martin Goodman and Stan Lee envisioned when the idea was pitched. The only sure-fire winning concept would turn up in Amazing Fantasy #15 (the Adult part of the title was dropped). After that issue the title was abruptly cancelled to focus on Spidey's first foray in his own magazine.

Magnus and Spectre seemed to fare better within their limited sphere of influence although both series popularity failed to knock one out of the park as other more popular SA series did.
Post 31 IP   flag post
It would be interesting to do a run down (not literally running down) all of the early D.C. try out characters in Showcase and Brave & The Bold that failed to take off. There are a lot of curious SA themes in those books. Alas, I didn't collect many D.C. books from that era, but these two titles are intriguing. Showcase started in '56 I think. What year did Brave & The Bold start?
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Surprised that these characters lasted as long as they did.

mm
Post 33 IP   flag post
@martymann Metal Men was a silly concept, but a lot of fun for awhile. The idea of giving various metals personalities based on their strengths, functions and comparative values was clever. However, the plots seemed to hit a brick wall after awhile.

It's sort of like telling a great joke or story: once everyone knows the punchline you have to keep embellishing on it just to hold folk's interest. I think the series probably just ran out of steam.
Post 34 IP   flag post
188962 34 9
destitute