Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signatures

creator signature costs6835

Collector CHUNKBOX private msg quote post Address this user
greetings,

is there a site that has updated costs creators charge for signatures (non graded signatures)?

this would be helpful in planning to attend a convention and being able to prepare what books to prep and bring.

thanks-
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector chameleoncolors private msg quote post Address this user
Usually the convention posts the prices I think creators change how much they charge depending on where they are going. I mean I have heard creators sign for 10 at a small con that is not really too popular vs SDCC which they charge now 20 because there is more demand. My philosophy I don't like that creators charge money for autographs. Of course I don't blame them since flippers on eBay and sites lien that have ruined the autograph game for everyone. Stan signed for free in the 90s now he signs for 175 a signature...
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
It is just that kind of talk that promotes the idea of artists raising their fees or limiting just how many books they are willing to sign.

There is no reason to demonize flippers or dealers. They only do what they do because people who can't or won't go to a show are willing to pay a premium to get the signed books.

If anything they help the artists get more money for the time they take out of their schedule to attend shows giving everyone else more opportunities to get a greater quality and quantity of artist signatures at each show.

I would be curious to hear why you believe that you are any more deserving or less greedy for wanting signed books than a flipper or dealer that is helping other collectors to obtain the same.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
Liefeld is $40 for non key, $80 for key issue.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@drchaos What I believe is what a lot creators also believe and some still believe, fans are the reason why these. Artists and writers have a job . There books become sold by fans, fans pay there rent. Yes if they are busy I understand they want to be paid for their time, who would not. People like jim starlin, a big creator who could easily be getting 30 dollars out of a signature signs for free. Why? Because he believes in that philosophy, the fans are why he has a job why he was successful in the first place so he believes it is only right to sign something and repay a fan in a simple way. A creator takes what 5 seconds to sign a book depending on their signature size or length. Is 5 seconds of their lives worth 50 bucks of a hard working fans money which this fan is the reason why they get to do what they do. And I get it they have lives, but creators that are devoted to their fans who care more for another fans happiness then a quick buck is just cool to see, now once a guy comes in with 10 30 100 books for a creator to sign at that point he should say I will charge you because you are clearly trying to make money out of me. I really enjoy when a creator does 1 free signature then after that 5 each than 10 ext. when they do that I know they care about heir fans. A college student who has a hard time making money and spend 5 or 15 dollars on a comic he the wants his favorite writer to sign it. But the writer is charging 30 dolaalrs for a signature. So the kid who can't pay that now leaves. Now I said that wrong I did not mean I have anything against flippers I understand they want to make money and they give the chance of other fans out their who cannot attend shows a chance to have s signed book, it's the dealers that originally made autographs cost so much. Someone like stan lee I understand why he charges. Thousands of people want to meet him. He is too old and does not have time to sign for free but a creator who gets a few people here and there why should they charge a fan. But then again how do they know who a fan is from a dealer that is why they charge. And it's not me just saying this creators have spoken up and said themselves why they charge and this is the reason. I like what Robert kirkman used to do he would sign for free but only allowed a certain amount of people to get semhitng signed. He wanted to make his fans happy but also does not have time for the thousands of Walking dead fans so he signs for a few. I understand and respect that. Once again if the artist or writer wants to charge tehre is nothing wrong with that they want money for their time but the dealers have made it much more than what it should be.

P.s I never said I was more deserving or greedy for wanting books signed. I am able to pay, 30 bucks for a creator I really want to meet is not a problem for me it's a problem for the fans who can't pay 30 bucks for a creator they want to meet

P.p.s never said I hate dealers or flippers that want to "help other fans get a book" I dislike the declarer that do it for the sole purpose of making money on fans. I am not just talking about comic creators. Celebrities, live actors and actresses, novel writers, anyone of that nature who people want to make money out of not because they care about fans but because they know fans are willing to pay big bucks
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic
Liefeld is $40 for non key, $80 for key issue.

Is that how much that asshole pays me to sign my books?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
The dealers, promoters, and comic publishers are all out to make a profit but the simple truth is that they make it possible for comic artists, writers, etc. to make a living creating comics full time.

Most comic dealers started out as fans and probably continue to enjoy comic books as much as we do. Selling comics for a living is not an easy thing to do.

I understand the mentality of getting upset about the idea of others making money on your hard work (as an artist) but this view is misguided as those who are making these profits only serve to promote the work of the artist allowing them to continue making art for a living while helping more fans find out about their work.

I don't like the trend of higher fees any more than you do but I see many artists at shows and most of the increases (aside from increased demand / movie hype) is from peer pressure. Many artists that are charging for signatures are pressuring artists with lower fees to raise them.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@drchaos I agree. Nuff' said
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Artists and writers want their cuts from people getting yellow labels and immediately selling. They see what goes on Ebay. They're not dumb. Whether we say it in a positive, justified, light way or a hard, cold, rough way it's still what it is.
Post 9 IP   flag post
600889 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?