Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

What comic(s) did you read today?6832

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Just a place to share and talk about what you’ve read recently.

I’m currently reading the Marvel Knights Elektra run. I finished Bendis’ stint on it a couple of weeks ago and I was glad to be done with it. I started Rucka’s run and though it starts off with a three issue story and a short, it’s already a step up from Bendis’ story. Unfortunately, Chuck Austen’s terrible art persisted for another two issues but is replaced by someone more competent.

I’ve also started reading Garth Ennis’ latest Punisher story, Punisher: The Platoon. Really enjoying it so far and I love how Ennis makes it very much a Vietnam War story but subtly and significantly relates it to the Punisher character he’s built up over the years

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user

I go over some stuff I read here:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/07/08/the-reading-pile-week-2/
Post 2 IP   flag post
I wrapped up The Platoon today. I really enjoyed it. It was nice to see Castle at a point when he was more optimistic and more heroic than he would become as The Punisher. There’s still violence but it’s not the Punisher’s never-ending war, instead it’s Lt. Frank Castle trying to get everyone in his platoon back home alive. I liked the smaller, more intimate and at times more mundane story (like a small subplot about the Castle and his men smuggling in their favored M14 rifles to replace the breakdown-prone M16s they’d been issued. It of course has to end with a battle but again, it kept the story about the men in Castle’s platoon and didn’t try to outdo the bloodbath of Valley Forge.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector VisceralDreams private msg quote post Address this user
THE HAUNT OF FEAR 13 1956 EC COMICS

I recommend everyone read these golden age ec horror books, they rule! This issue has 4 self-contained stories told by three pun-happy narrators; the old witch, the vault keeper, and the cryptkeeper. This is the first golden age book i've ever read and i have to say the quality is amazing in the art and storytelling. I feel as if i'm watching the television show. As i'm reading i can visualize the story in detail. Check them out! Also DM me with some EC golden age horror for sale or trade. Thanks
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Isola was in my pull this week... Its fast becoming my favourite comic for 2018, if it isn't already! (spawn was it at the beginning of the year because of the awesome dark horror story arc but since todd mcfarlane took over writing duties, though still enjoyable, its slid back into the pack)
Post 5 IP   flag post
I read the two issues of the classic Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut. The story certainly delivered on the title since it’s basically two issues of Spidey being entirely ineffective against the Juggernaut with everything from his webbing, dropping buildings on him, to driving a gasoline tanker into him. It was interesting to see Spidey just getting more and more frustrated and seeing his realization that those extreme measures could have lead to him taking a life (albeit the Juggernaut’s and he didn’t really keep Spidey in suspense) was something that I’d love to see explored in more detail (and I’d be surprised if it hadn’t). The ending when Spidey just holds on to the Juggernaut to blind him, since that is literally the only thing he can do that affects him, all the while taking powerful blows from the unstoppable fiend until he finally catches a break was a bit touching, especially seeing how badly the encounter left Peter shortly afterwards.

I was also surprised to see that it was illustrated by John Romita Jr. By this point he hadn’t yet developed his unique visual style and instead, I think his work bears a great resemblance to his father’s.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Just finished a quick little read:

Fun. Different.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Finishing vol 1 today.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DJC_II I’ve been curious about that one since the title alludes to Alan Moore’s wonderful Superman Story, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
Post 9 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite yes! Which I haven't read yet actually. But now that I've read this.

I had always heard good thing about this read... it's neat, but if have already heard of the one cool aspect, then the rest is meh
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Been re-reading early Spawn 1-20 so far via comiXology. Forgot how great the artwork is.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Frontier2Xterra I know this sounds funny but I actually prefer them in their original prints.

It's the paper they used, and how it took in the ink. I found the digital versions to be quite flat.
Post 12 IP   flag post
600866 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?