Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Stan Lee is the Last OG creator6830

COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
He's the last original gangster creator left.

Ditko, Simon, Kirby, Seigel, Shuster, Kane and Finger. They're all gone.

Ones like Byrne, Adams, Claremont, Thomas, even Wein and Wristghtson are legends but not true OG creators.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Ny85 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine

Ones like Byrne, Adams, Claremont, Thomas, even Wein and Wristghtson are legends but not true OG creators.

Don’t forget his brother
Post 2 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine

Don’t forget his brother

Larry Lee?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector LB_Buddha private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn’t say Stan is the last since Joe Sinnott is still around imo.
Post 4 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_Buddha
I wouldn’t say Stan is the last since Joe Sinnott is still around imo.

don't forget John Romita Sr. Ken Bald is one of the few remaining golden age guys around as well. and hes appearing one final con this weekend as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Man, seriously.

I just got a relatively hard-to-find Hulk #1 reprint & I was hoping to get it signed. Unfortunately, Stan is the only surviving contributor to the original fist issue.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Steranko is pretty old school. He might qualify for O.G. status. But Stan helped Marvel become a powerhouse, that’s for sure.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector TheImmortalGI private msg quote post Address this user
This is an incorrect and ignorant thread. if "OG" creator means Golden Age, then there are actually several creators still with us.

Joe Sinnott, Russ Heath, John Romita Sr, Joe Giella, Ken Bald, Larry Lieber (Stan Lee's brother, still alive) Bob Fujitani(I think? Can't confirm but he'd be like 98 years old)

Anyway, it's a shame how underrated some of these guys are. Stan is hardly the one and only singular "OG" Creator...
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector chameleoncolors private msg quote post Address this user
I would not Call this thread ignorant, I get what the op is saying the main people that did the "most for comics" were really bob Kane (wait sorry did I say bob Kane, silly me I meant bill finger) : Batman, jerry Siegel and jow sushter: superman, Jack Kirby: too many to name, joe Simon: cap, Steve ditko: doctor strange and spidey, and stan lee: a good amount. Yes joe Sinnott is still round Larry Lieber and people like them but in my opinion, did they contribute in many ways... yes but did they really create a really popular hero... no. Is stan overrated... a little, but he is still a legend alongside Kirby and ditko. He is a big creator who eveloutioned marvel and a little piece of the comic industry, (if you countamrvel as a little piece) Kirby created a lot of charchters with stan lee and apt on his own which makes him a "original creator" Steve ditko was actually credited for gaveling the entire idea of doctor strange, not stan. Which makes him a "creator of a significant charcher" and same goes for sushter, Simon, and sigal spa ice a few others of course. The things with Larry Lieber,is underrated... YES! But in truth what did he really do... he helped stan out, he had ideas he did the stories but the cahrchters were not thought out by him and same for Sinnott as well romita sr. who of course did a lot too but not enough to even compare him to the others like stan or Kirby. And now giella is he important to the industry yes, he is very but he brought handle golden age charchters he did not create any Band new ideas which have been extremely successful. That's. My philopsly
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
@TheImmortalGI Summer down sunshine. It's just a thread. Jeez. And I never called Stan the " one and only singular creator" so just take a xanax and relax. Thought we are allowe to discuss things here?
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImmortalGI
This is an incorrect and ignorant thread. if "OG" creator means Golden Age, then there are actually several creators still with us.

Joe Sinnott, Russ Heath, John Romita Sr, Joe Giella, Ken Bald, Larry Lieber (Stan Lee's brother, still alive) Bob Fujitani(I think? Can't confirm but he'd be like 98 years old)

Anyway, it's a shame how underrated some of these guys are. Stan is hardly the one and only singular "OG" Creator...

This is an incorrect and ignorant response.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Let's not forget Joan B. Lee; Stan's wife. Her inspiration and encouragement to Stan to when he was about to throw in the towel and leave comics, gave us the Fantastic Four with the more true to life writing style that changed everything. Probably the most pivotal if not one of the most pivotal moments in comic book history.

Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Would be interesting if someone put together a list of the true "OG" creators. IE, popular Characters introduced in the golden age. Nodell (RIP)/Green Lantern, Siegel/Shuster (RIP)- Supes, Chester Gould (RIP) - Dick Tracy, etc etc

@00slim Steranko is great, but I wouldn't put him in with the likes of Stan, Shuster, Nodell etc as OG Creators. Steranko got his start working under Kirby, whom he referred to as "The undeniable Master" in conversation, and was/is about a generation behind those guys.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
None of these are still alive but what about Dick Ayers, CC Beck, Schaffenberger, Otto Binder, Andru, Will Eisner? It's only after them that we get Stan Lee, Bob Kane, Bill Finger, Leo Nowak (or is it Nowack?), Steve Ditko, Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, Jack Kirby. Then there's other talent like Dick Sprang and Kurtzman

I'd also add

Joe Kubert
Gene Colan
Nick Cardy
Romita Sr.
Frank Frazetta
Win Mortimer
John & Marie Severin
Carmine Infantino
Wally Wood

*Edit: Marie and JRSR are still alive
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I would definitely classify Larry Lieber as an OG creator and he is still with us. I can appreciate how some may not consider Romita Sr. and Sinnott "OG" creators but they definitely fit that mold for me.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
I would definitely classify Larry Lieber as an OG creator and he is still with us. I can appreciate how some may not consider Romita Sr. and Sinnott "OG" creators but they definitely fit that mold for me.

I agree, I think he should be considered! While Romita is like 3rd or 4th wave, he was on the team that gave us Punisher and Wolverine. He also created Mary Jane. He's one of the few guys at the time who could step in and do a good job after Ditko left ASM.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I don't disagree, but giving us characters like Wolverine, Punisher, Kingpin, Rhino, Bullseye, Luke Cage, Hobgoblin, Mary Jane, etc, it's hard not to classify him as "OG"
Post 17 IP   flag post
Also I know it's unrelated but there is a "new" genre of OG creators like Todd Mcfarlane, David Michline, dan slott (sort of), and Robert Kirkman (if we are talking about comics in general and not just super heroes) we also have people like rob lifeld (hate him all you want but he did deadpool)
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks

Oops, I forgot to write "I agree"! lol
Post 19 IP   flag post
We could do OG's of each "Age"

Golden - Eisner, Beck, Binder
Atomic - ??
Silver - Ditko, Lee, Kirby
Bronze - Thomas, Claremont, Byrne
Copper - Miller, Gaiman, Moore
Modern - McFarlane, Jim Lee, Kirkman
Post 20 IP   flag post
Also forgot about bill Everett no one has said him yet
Post 21 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Please don't say "John Byrne", he is an imitator and contributor to nothing original, just someone who rides on the backs of truly great writers and artists. Byrne was a good illustrator on UXM with a hefty contribution to Terry Austin's inks. Otherwise, Byrne has spent his career mainly mimicking the greats like Jack Kirby and Neal Adams to a much lesser success.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I think what this thread is saying is who we're the people who made the comic industry what it is today, and who is the most important, this is going to be a very controversial reply so you guys can redo my list as you please,

I think we cannot argue that the most important people in the comic genre today who have done the most is simply

1. jerry Siegel and joe sushter: they created the first superhero idea

2. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby: they worked together to make marvel what it is today

3. Bob Kane and bill finger: for Batman and the joker (alongside jerry Robinson)

4. Stan lee and Steve ditko: Spider-Man and doctor strange (I know Spider-Man should be higher but like I said this is going to be very controversial)

5. William Moulton Marston And H.G. peter: for making really the first true woman hero, Wonder Woman

I have always thought that this is what the top 5 list of creators who impacted the most should look like. Once again controversial but out of all of these creators who is still alive... just stan. That is what I though the op was trying to say and I can't say I don't agree.

Of corse this is taking about the most famous and influential charchters that evolutionsed comics superman, the Kirby lee creations (Thor, avengers, hulk, ant man, daredevil (with evertt) iron man ext.) Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Still with us is Bob Bolling, 3-4 years younger than Stan, but he did a Navy stint and finished college before working in comics. I would add Bob Montana and Harvey Kurtzman to any list of GA creator "greats" as well.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
Don’t forget Allen Bellman. He is still with us.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevgoli

Meeting him this weekend, can't wait!
Post 26 IP   flag post
The Scar Giver Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'm surprised only one person has mentioned Russ Heath. In my opinion, he is probably the most under appreciated artist out there. The guy has a tremendous portfolio!!! He co-created "the Haunted Tank" and "Sea Devils". He drew war comics for DC. He drew a story in EC's Frontline Combat #1. If you've ever seen the Roman soldiers or Revolutionary soldier full page ads in comics from the '70's, that was drawn by Heath!!! I'd definitely place him in the OG category since he started with Timely in 1947.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevgoli

Meeting him this weekend, can't wait!

Awesome, I'll be at SuperCon too!
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens
I think what this thread is saying is who we're the people who made the comic industry what it is today, and who is the most important, this is going to be a very controversial reply so you guys can redo my list as you please,

I think we cannot argue that the most important people in the comic genre today who have done the most is simply

1. jerry Siegel and joe sushter: they created the first superhero idea

2. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby: they worked together to make marvel what it is today

3. Bob Kane and bill finger: for Batman and the joker (alongside jerry Robinson)

4. Stan lee and Steve ditko: Spider-Man and doctor strange (I know Spider-Man should be higher but like I said this is going to be very controversial)

5. William Moulton Marston And H.G. peter: for making really the first true woman hero, Wonder Woman

I have always thought that this is what the top 5 list of creators who impacted the most should look like. Once again controversial but out of all of these creators who is still alive... just stan. That is what I though the op was trying to say and I can't say I don't agree.

Of corse this is taking about the most famous and influential charchters that evolutionsed comics superman, the Kirby lee creations (Thor, avengers, hulk, ant man, daredevil (with evertt) iron man ext.) Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman.

Great post.

However, I would argue that the predecessors to the top ones, who laid some of the very first groundwork for them, should be high up that list. EC Segar (Popeye), Chester Gould (Dick Tracy), Paul Terry (Mighty Mouse, which Stan Lee wrote stories for in his very early career as a teen for Timely), and even Walt Disney. Walt created Mickey and Donald for animation, but the latter especially spawned massively popular comic books published by the then-powerhouse Dell, with Carl Barks at that helm.

Do Seigel and Shuster put together superman without having read Popeye?

Does Stan Lee go on to create a plethora of awesome superheroes without first writing Mighty Mouse stories?

Do Bob Kane and Bill Finger put together Batman and Joker without reading Chester Gould's adventures with Dick Tracy and his various villans?

Post 29 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer I can't agree more
Post 30 IP   flag post
603982 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?