Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Events

Unofficial CBCS SDCC meetup planning682

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So with SDCC coming up, I thought it'd be neat if we could organize a meetup of CBCS members for drinks and food at a local restaurant/bar. Hopefully others are interested as well, and the invitation extends to Steve Boroxk and the rest of the CBCS staff that's in town for the show!

My personal suggestions would be to hold in on Saturday, July 23rd at a location close to but not in Downtown San Diego to get away from the craziness a little.

I'm thinking maybe the Shakespeare Pub on India Street. Good British pub atmoshphere. The cons are that parking is always difficult.

Gordon Biersch good beer and good food but it is a little pricier than some of the other options.

Lazy Dog Good food and the prices are decent. Not as beer-focused as the other options. They do have a nice fireplace on the patio that could be fun to gather around.

The Yard House used to be Downtown but now at the Mission Valley Mall. Great selection of beers, good food, maybe a little pricey, but they do have the nice half-yard glasses of beer

Stone Brewery A great space with good beer. A little further than the other options and a little pricy. The food isn't amazing and the beer selection (which changes often) tends to focus on IPAs, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your taste in beer.

My top 3 would probably be either Shakespeare's, Yard House, or the Lazy Dog

Anyone interested in joining? Maybe other places you'd like to meet instead? Or is this a fool's mission that's doomed to fail?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
So with SDCC coming up, I thought it'd be neat if we could organize a meetup of CBCS members for drinks and food at a local restaurant/bar. Hopefully others are interested as well, and the invitation extends to Steve Boroxk and the rest of the CBCS staff that's in town for the show!

My personal suggestions would be to hold in on Saturday, July 23rd at a location close to but not in Downtown San Diego to get away from the craziness a little.

I'm thinking maybe the Shakespeare Pub on India Street. Good British pub atmoshphere. The cons are that parking is always difficult.

Gordon Biersch good beer and good food but it is a little pricier than some of the other options.

Lazy Dog Good food and the prices are decent. Not as beer-focused as the other options. They do have a nice fireplace on the patio that could be fun to gather around.

The Yard House used to be Downtown but now at the Mission Valley Mall. Great selection of beers, good food, maybe a little pricey, but they do have the nice half-yard glasses of beer

Stone Brewery A great space with good beer. A little further than the other options and a little pricy. The food isn't amazing and the beer selection (which changes often) tends to focus on IPAs, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your taste in beer.

My top 3 would probably be either Shakespeare's, Yard House, or the Lazy Dog

Anyone interested in joining? Maybe other places you'd like to meet instead? Or is this a fool's mission that's doomed to fail?

I would prefer the Lazy Dog. Mission Valley is further from downtown and should not be bad at all.

But if people need to go to a location closer to their hotels in downtown, I would probably prefer Dick's Last Resort. Kinda has a road house feel but the tables are long for plenty of seating. Most likely be insane with the con going but it is close.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@roarzola Yeah, I definitely think Mission Valley is the prime location since it's away from Downtown but not too far. There's also a trolley stop that's not too far from the restaurants so people staying in Downtown can get out there.

So +1 for the Lazy Dog

I'm fine doing it downtown if enough people want to but yeah, it'll probably be crazy packed, to say nothing of both the foot and car traffic
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Designer_Toast private msg quote post Address this user
I'm definitely in.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Need to do one of these for FanExpo in Toronto
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Wolverine Man, I'd love to visit Toronto but I won't be able to make it this year. Next February I might make it up to Vancouver but there's no Comic Con there at that time that ai'm aware of.

@Designer_Toast Awesome! How do you feel about the Mission Valley locations or is there somewhere you think you'd think would be better?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Wish I could be there, but will miss this year's festivities after six straight (virtual manly tears icon). Looking forward to imbibing brews with fellow collectors at Chicago Wizard for those who can attend that August occasion. In the meantime, please raise a toast in honor of my absence as I'll be there in spirit...
Post 7 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica We'll miss seeing you there! Hopefully this can become a thing we do every year so you won't be absent too long!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Wish I could be there, but will miss this year's festivities after six straight (virtual manly tears icon). Looking forward to imbibing brews with fellow collectors at Chicago Wizard for those who can attend that August occasion. In the meantime, please raise a toast in honor of my absence as I'll be there in spirit...

I will partake of some fine ale in your honor.
Post 9 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in. Just tell me when and where.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector qube private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

I feel your pain. This will be the first year missing SDCC in five years for me 😢
Post 11 IP   flag post
Looks like that's 4 in so far!

@SteveRicketts No problem! I'll let go a litte longer just to see if we get any more input and make an official time and date announcement in a day or two
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Designer_Toast private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
I'm in. Just tell me when and where.

. I feel like this year's SDCC is going to be special.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Wish I still lived near SD. I would definitely be there. Last time I was at SDCC, I got Michael Turner to sign a book for my then girlfriend.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Wish I still lived near SD. I would definitely be there. Last time I was at SDCC, I got Michael Turner to sign a book for my then girlfriend.

That was quite a while ago. Like I said above though, hopefully this isn't just a one-time thing and it becomes a yearly thing with more and more people each time
Post 15 IP   flag post
Alrighty guys, here's the info:

Lazy Dog Restaurant & Bar
Saturday, July 23rd @7:30pm

Westfield Mission Valley, 1202 Camino Del Rio N, San Diego, CA 92108
(619) 481-6191
https://goo.gl/maps/vKQPNgtNzEq

Taking the TrolleyFor those of you staying in Downtown and will be taking the Trolley, you'll want to the the Green Line to Santee and get off at the Mission Valley Center stop. The restaurant is a few blocks walking from there.

Post here or send me a PM to let me know how many you're coming with and I'll make the reservation next Friday, the 15th. I'm sure small changes after that will be fine.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to get that info for you.
Post 16 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I'll probably have at least a few more going. I'll have to check with the guys going to the show.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts I look forward to hearing from you!
Post 18 IP   flag post
I sent out PMs to everyone who indicated interest in the meet. If anyone else is interested in joining in, just send me a PM
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm going. Unfortunately, my super hot ex-model girlfriend will be working that night so she will not be able to join us.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@roarzola Well tell her we'll miss her and wish her luck on that third PhD she's working on
Post 21 IP   flag post
600502 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?