Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkComics Silver AgeMovies TelevisionPop Culture

In Memoriam...RIP Steve Ditko (1927-2018)6814

Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
The “JD Salinger of comics” has passed away at age 90. On June 29th Steve Ditko was discovered lifeless in his apartment apparently having passed a couple days prior. He has no known survivors. His legacy then, truly is his work and if I would dare assume anything about him, I think that’s probably what he wanted.

Let’s dedicate this thread to civil discussion of the man, the myth, the artist to honor and celebrate his legacy, complex though it may be.
clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post

Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Very sad!
Post 3 IP   flag post

Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Very sad!

I agree. Although I feel like I would be sadder if he hadn’t wanted to be so reclusive. I’m sad because so many people who were impacted by his work never got to meet him and thank him. Even though his beliefs did not require adulation, an artist always likes to know his work is appreciated. Maybe he didn’t care, who knows. That’s why I’m sad, mainly because we know so little about one of the mediums most influential contributors. He lived his life as he saw fit and that was his right but personally I wish I knew more about his professional life at least. The guy was strangely fascinating.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@esaravo Nice! His Charlton work was awesome.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
@esaravo Nice! His Charlton work was awesome.

Ditko was around years before Spider-Man (and Doctor Strange too), and after Marvel he was a big contributor to Charlton and DC comics. I think his work for those companies is way under appreciated.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
Huge loss. R.I.P. Mr Ditko.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Mr. Ditko spoke through his art. Most would probably agree his character Mr. A was not but a thinly veiled likeness of his own deeply held beliefs.

Post 10 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I'm no fan of Ditko, but I sure do respect the man and his legacy in our hobby. If ever a man lived that did it his way, Steve Ditko was that man.

I raise my glass to you, Mr Ditko. May your soul find peace in the next life.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Ditko was one of the greats. His unique style and approach to comics was both complex and deceptively simple. An artist who charted his own coarse and stayed true to himself and still retained the respect of his fans. RIP Steve.

Post 12 IP   flag post

Post 13 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts I second that notion. I disagree with much of his personal philosophies but not many artists have had such a monumental impact the way he did. Respect is definitely due to his dogged determination to say what he had to say, no more and no less.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I always thought his rendition of J. Jonah Jameson was the best. He defined the character so well.

Post 15 IP   flag post

Post 16 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
A true legend no doubt!! Spiderman, Dr. Strange, The Question, Hawk and Dove, The Creeper...deep thinker...artist truly ahead of his time. A powerhouse and pillar of the art form. He will be greatly missed.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
A great loss; may he rest in peace.

I had this on my watch list for the past two weeks, while I debated whether I should pull the trigger and send it in for VSP. I took a chance and just picked it up...

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user

Post 19 IP   flag post
My favorite Ditko Spider-Man story.

Post 20 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

incredible!!!!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

incredible!!!!!

Don't you mean AMAZING!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

incredible!!!!!

Don't you mean AMAZING!

Ha! indeed!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
A great loss; may he rest in peace.

I had this on my watch list for the past two weeks, while I debated whether I should pull the trigger and send it in for VSP. I took a chance and just picked it up...

That! my friend, is gold!!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
May he rest in peace. I think he changed the world more than most people know.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
@SteveRicketts I second that notion. I disagree with much of his personal philosophies but not many artists have had such a monumental impact the way he did. Respect is definitely due to his dogged determination to say what he had to say, no more and no less.

it's exactly how all artists should be...true to themselves and their convictions....uncompromising and visionary.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector ccmp99 private msg quote post Address this user

R.I.P. Steve
Post 27 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga You'll have to wait on VSP until CBCS grades magazines.

@ccmp99 Seems only yesterday I was young lad of 12 years "marveling" at that page and hanging on every word and narrative of what is arguably the best Spider-Man story ever.

Sad day. The old masters are nearly all gone.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
R.I.P. Mr. Ditko

Back in the 60's you were very instrumental in my migration from coins to comics.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Steve Ditko can not be given enough credit for his part in shaping the Marvel Universe and comics as we know them. He was truly one of the great ones.😔
Post 30 IP   flag post
601338 37 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?