Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversComics Modern AgeQuestions

Complete white cover over Batman 506797

Collector VictorCreed private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone else pick one of these up? Its a Batman 50 blank variant. Im wondering why it has a comoletely blank cover over the normal blank cover. Never seen this before.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I bought two yesterday.

It does add an extra layer of protection to the actual cover but I would have to think that if you had a sketch you would:

A - Want it on the actual cover instead of the blank sheet
B - Want to see the sketch instead of having a blank page over it

With that said, removing the extra blank page would seem to be a good way to reduce the value or condition of the book.

I would have preferred they did not add the extra blank cover.
Post 2 IP   flag post
My thoughts exactly.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector iggykoopa30 private msg quote post Address this user
I seen this also. I'm not certain as to why this was done... Has anybody removed the white cover? Would removing it really reduce the value of the book? I'm so confused because I've never heard of this happening before.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggykoopa30
I seen this also. I'm not certain as to why this was done... Has anybody removed the white cover? Would removing it really reduce the value of the book? I'm so confused because I've never heard of this happening before.

Much like the Tatooz in ASM 238 I would think that removing the extra white cover would reduce the value of the book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Most (perhaps all?) blank cover comics are produced with that outer layer of tissue paper. It keeps the books from getting marked up during production, and the tissue is removed before the books are shipped. In a few instances books get out of the factory with the tissue still attached. Books without the tissue aren't downgraded because thats how they are supposed to be produced
Post 6 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Do you know if the entire print run of Batman 50 blank cover had this 'cardboard like' tissue left on the books?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggykoopa30

Someone asked CGC on Facebook about this "extra paper" thing and this is what they replied:

Blank sketch covers and books with foil/acetate covers are usually shipped with an individual piece of wrapping paper attached to the staples for each book to prevent scratches and scuffing. Despite being initially attached to the book, it is not considered an actual “part” of the book, and would be better described as packing material.

Normally, this wrapping paper is removed by hand somewhere along the distribution line, but in the past 12 months, for some unknown reason (time-management and/or cost saving) some books have actually been making it onto store shelves with the wrapping paper still intact.

In order to properly grade one of these books, the outer wrapping paper has to be removed (just as if the book were in a pre-sealed poly-bag) either by the owner or by the graders at CGC.
Post 8 IP   flag post
601487 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?