Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Change in billing practice?6779

Collector fivestar private msg quote post Address this user
I'm still new, so I haven't submitted enough to recall how it played out previously without digging through CC statements etc

And I know this is answered somewhere, but I'm currently mobile and not finding it.

When is your order billed?

I thought it was at the Billing stage (right before shipping) but just got hit with a charge for an order that I JUST submitted for 2 tiers, for the entire invoice

Based on my previous submission (the one I'm still waiting be refund/credit for due to delay) I thought it would be 2 payments when each tier went to billing. (So 1 this week for the 2 day modern and 1 in ~6 wks for the modern FP)

So which order did they screw up? Or now that they are in Dallas are they charging for everything up front? Of the latter, I'm just not going to be able to send in 10-20 books at a time in multiple tiers which sucks when TAT is so far out :/
Post 1 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
A couple of years ago CBCS switched to charging within a few days of receiving books. The same way CGC operates.

Believe it or not CBCS actually ran a poll on this before changing it on their Facebook page and a large majority of respondents wanted to be billed immediately. Apparently a lot of people don't actually keep track of how much money they have. They look online at their account - and if they have $$ spend it. So when billed a few months later didn't have the money and got hit with rejections and/or overdrafts.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I have a friend that collects coins and sports cards. He uses pre-paid cards for anything he sends in for grading or buys online. He says its a very easy way to avoid the issue @IronMan discusses and helps to avoid getting scammed and having his bank account ripped off. I'm going to try this out with my next submission.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector fivestar private msg quote post Address this user
Ok. Then I'm even more annoyed that my 2day modern, submitted before the move, got sent on to Dallas in the first place and definitely going to get a credit/refund

This order is fine, money is available, but just hadn't expected it in full right away.

As far as future orders I guess I just deal with paying extra shipping costs or deal with paying for multiple tiers upfront if it's a big batch I want in ASAP :/

Good tip on the Prepaid cards for those worried about spending the $ before the payment comes out. Am going to setup a virtual card through my CC specifically for CBCS for added security.

Given the current concerns since the move and lack of communication etc I'd rest better knowing my actual CC isn't in the system.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Unknown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
A couple of years ago CBCS switched to charging within a few days of receiving books. The same way CGC operates.

Believe it or not CBCS actually ran a poll on this before changing it on their Facebook page and a large majority of respondents wanted to be billed immediately. Apparently a lot of people don't actually keep track of how much money they have. They look online at their account - and if they have $$ spend it. So when billed a few months later didn't have the money and got hit with rejections and/or overdrafts.

Hmmm, good to know. That’s not how I pay CGC and will strictly inhibit my ability to submit to CBCS. Not sure what other business I have ever paid to stand in line.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Wait..my books say submitted but I have not been charged - should I have been??

I would like to be!! - my cost has already gone up ~$50 due to exchange rate changes.

By November when TAT says I should be done, my exchange rate could be really bad because of idiot in white house who doesn't know that Honda and Tesla have the most US production (larger % than Ford or GM or anyone else) of their vehicles!!!

Trade war can really screw me on FX
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@Unknown
Grading companies are the only ones that come immediately to mind as far as paying upfront and waiting. But when I take a moment I can think of other examples. A lot of artists doing commissions expect payment or a partial payment upfront. Hundreds of thousands of people have paid $1000 to be in line to get a Telsa Model 3. And apparently some of them have been able to sell that "spot" in line for 2-3x profit. Season tickets for professional sports. It isn't common - but give it some thought and other examples come to mind.

But I wasn't joking when I said CBCS ran a poll. They were getting lots of complaints about over the limit and insufficient funds charges from customers when they were billing months later when books were done. When they announced they were going to change, some people including myself said "wait a minute, I like the current way of business better."

CBCS being the fan friendly company they are, put it to a vote on their FB page. IT WASN'T EVEN CLOSE. The overwhelming majority wanted to be billed right away.

@KatKomics you won't be billed until the status says "billing" or "processing". When the status shows "submitted" your books may have been received by CBCS but have not been entered into the workflow management system (tracking)
Post 7 IP   flag post
@IronMan Oh well, I'll just hang on then....if I can scrounge a few bucks I may buy $600 or $700 USD now as a hedge against FX changes.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Unknown
Grading companies are the only ones that come immediately to mind as far as paying upfront and waiting. But when I take a moment I can think of other examples. A lot of artists doing commissions expect payment or a partial payment upfront. Hundreds of thousands of people have paid $1000 to be in line to get a Telsa Model 3. And apparently some of them have been able to sell that "spot" in line for 2-3x profit. Season tickets for professional sports. It isn't common - but give it some thought and other examples come to mind.

But I wasn't joking when I said CBCS ran a poll. They were getting lots of complaints about over the limit and insufficient funds charges from customers when they were billing months later when books were done. When they announced they were going to change, some people including myself said "wait a minute, I like the current way of business better."

CBCS being the fan friendly company they are, put it to a vote on their FB page. IT WASN'T EVEN CLOSE. The overwhelming majority wanted to be billed right away.

@KatKomics you won't be billed until the status says "billing" or "processing". When the status shows "submitted" your books may have been received by CBCS but have not been entered into the workflow management system (tracking)

I can understand down payments. When I buy houses I give a deposit to show how serious I am.

As far as the examples of paying all of it up front they have a guaranteed date. They are also “fan” based transactions. I have to assume if the majority voted to be billed immediately then most customers must be collectors. Can’t say I have any experience with a business asking to pay up front. The cash flow aspect is just more important.

I simply would not loan a company a possible $50k to “hold my spot”. A 10% deposit? Perhaps. I like the incentive of getting paid to be in place for a transaction like this.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@IronMan Oh well, I'll just hang on then....if I can scrounge a few bucks I may buy $600 or $700 USD now as a hedge against FX changes.

Are you a collector? I don’t see why they can’t have both payment options. It is quite easy. I am also Canadian. I buy/sell and keep everything in US except my monthly CDN exchange to pay the CC.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
Quote:

Are you a collector? I don’t see why they can’t have both payment options. It is quite easy. I am also Canadian. I buy/sell and keep everything in US except my monthly CDN exchange to pay the CC.

Yeah..I keep thinking about getting a US dollar account and credit card - maybe someday - although the current political climate has me moving to not spending any USD and reducing my "made in USA" purchases in the future as much as possible
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
Quote:

Yeah..I keep thinking about getting a US dollar account and credit card - maybe someday - although the current political climate has me moving to not spending any USD and reducing my "made in USA" purchases in the future as much as possible

I hear ya. Sad but true. I might cancel NYCC if things keep trending this way.

If you do get a US account I recommend RBC or TD to get a US based Us$ account.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I would like to be!! - my cost has already gone up ~$50 due to exchange rate changes.

By November when TAT says I should be done, my exchange rate could be really bad because of idiot in white house who doesn't know that Honda and Tesla have the most US production (larger % than Ford or GM or anyone else) of their vehicles!!!

YOU are not a US citizen, so quit mouthing off about my US President. Have your books graded in Canada if you don't like it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Unknown

This is NOT true. My ordered was received on March 10 (with a 12 week TAT) My Credit Card was billed March 19 (9 days later) 12 week TAT is now approaching 16 weeks. They should not be charging my card for services until the Status is SHIPPED.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

YOU are not a US citizen, so quit mouthing off about my US President. Have your books graded in Canada if you don't like it.

The right to an opinion is not limited to the US. :-)
And he never mentioned President Trump. :-p
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Any chance they could have charged all the Florida orders before moving and then standard charging practice for new books received in Dallas?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
@Unknown

This is NOT true. My ordered was received on March 10 (with a 12 week TAT) My Credit Card was billed March 19 (9 days later) 12 week TAT is now approaching 16 weeks. They should not be charging my card for services until the Status is SHIPPED.

I'm not sure what you are saying is "not true". I didn't say what was "fair". I said what was. They billed your credit card nine days after receiving your order. March 9 was a Friday, odds are good they didn't actually enter your books into the system until a several days later. So what I said was 100% truth. CBCS - just like CGC - bills credit cards soon after receiving your books. The status will show billing or processing on the web portal. "Submitted" books are not actually in the CBCS system. Even if they have arrived.

I also preferred CBCS's original method of billing when done. But the overwhelming majority of collectors that expressed an opinion on CBCS's Facebook wanted to be billed right away. I remember watching the FB posts/voting and being astounded that 2 out 3 collectors said "bill me right away". But this was FB. You could see their posts.

But like it or not doesn't change if it's true. Been this way a couple of years now.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
But the overwhelming majority of collectors that expressed an opinion on CBCS's Facebook wanted to be billed right away.

I care very little for Facebook.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Comic_Playhouse private msg quote post Address this user
I have always paid up front and leave a card on file for extra charges. I submitted books at Heroes Con on June 19 and paid only to receive a bill on August 8th. Anyone ever get billed when they paid at a Convention? I felt something was different when I didn't see the computers.
Post 19 IP   flag post
597868 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?