Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Best Vendors to Visit at SDCC?6775

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’m looking for key Silver Age books. Any suggestions about which booths should get priority would be appreciated.

I see “Heroes” will be there. If it’s the Heroes based in Campbell California, I’ll definitely check them out early on.

Any other suggestions?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector MedicAR private msg quote post Address this user
Dale Roberts is always awesome.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve had good luck with Harley Yee if he’s attending this year.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Aside from the above mentioned, I'd add:

WorldWide Comics (Stephen Ritter)
Highgrade Comics (Bob Storms)
Bedrock City Comics (Richard Evans)
Superworld Comics (Ted VanLiew)
Post 4 IP   flag post
Bedrock I’ve heard of, I’ll have to check out the others as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Etkt private msg quote post Address this user
I would take a look at Jamie Newbold's booth (Southern California Comics). His store is in San Diego and has the best Silver Age comic selection in the area that I am aware of.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector helsabot private msg quote post Address this user
You should check out Koops Comics, Tim Kupin. He told me himself that he will have a killer Silver Age collection there just recently slabbed by CBCS. DOnt remember the booth number but it is in the comics section on the east end of the hall.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Bedrock I’ve heard of, I’ll have to check out the others as well.

You can't miss Richard!

Post 8 IP   flag post
The Verzyl family will be running his booth at SDCC. Not sure if they'll be selling books this year or using the booth as a memorial for John. As Rox & I were good friends of John and his family, we'll be on hand part of the time helping out, so please drop by and say hello.

Cheers,
Cat
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I can't remember purchasing from a large dealer in over 30+ years. Retail (or thereabouts), just does not work for me. Never will
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I can't remember purchasing from a large dealer in over 30+ years. Retail (or thereabouts), just does not work for me. Never will

That's a real shame. Knowing reputable comic dealers can produce more satisfying results than auctions, where premiums and anonymous competition between two determined bidders can drive realized prices into the stratosphere. Dealers have the flexibility to negotiate, auctions don't. Of coarse, everybody's mileage varies, I suppose.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

That's a real shame. Knowing reputable comic dealers can produce more satisfying results than auctions, where premiums and anonymous competition between two determined bidders can drive realized prices into the stratosphere. Dealers have the flexibility to negotiate, auctions don't. Of coarse, everybody's mileage varies, I suppose.

I totally hear ya. What I neglected to say who I do always purchase from is small dealers at comic shows. I attend 10 - 12 cons a year and I find that the same comic at big dealer can be 1.2 - 2 times the asking price at small dealer with a messy booth. In the end I just can't go the retail route
Post 12 IP   flag post
If they're set up at SDCC, I'd also recommend checking out booths of the Bunky Brothers (Brian Bunky), New Force (Rick Whitelock, aka Gator) and Metropolis (Probably rep. by Vincent Zurzolo & Frank Cwiklik). I've also done business with A-1 Comics, Dale Roberts, Bedrock City (Richard Evans), High Grade (Bob Storms) and Worldwide (Stephan Ritter) over the years, all great folks to deal with, IMO.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I’ve spent a lot at A-1. Brian has a great selection but man, he doesn’t give me the time of day.
Post 14 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I’ve spent a lot at A-1. Brian has a great selection but man, he doesn’t give me the time of day.

He's that way with a lot of people. He really doesn't need to be an "out front" person.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

He's that way with a lot of people. He really doesn't need to be an "out front" person.

True, not every comic dealer & collector is a people person, but the variety of attitudes and approaches to the business are interesting just the same.

Sadly, we lost one of the most collector friendly dealers earlier this year and It's difficult imagining anyone filling his shoes...

Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

Located a photo I took at the A-1 booth at SDCC circa 2011, the same year I bought a high grade copy of All Winners #21 from Brian, if memory serves...

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
It always gets a little weird with keys at SDCC... You could go to two booths a stone's throw away from each other and find the same book, same condition for wildly different prices. So, shop around!

I wish I was going to be hunting for my GSX this year, but I spent too much on sigs and slabbing, so... more sigs and slabbing for me!
Post 18 IP   flag post
As a writer, are ya gonna have a booth, @thelastbard? Will I see ya there?
Post 19 IP   flag post
@00slim I'll be at booth 2948 - Arcana Comics here and there, signing, chatting, causing trouble, whatever. I'm not sure on official signing times at the moment, unfortunately, but I'm trying to find out. I used to run the publishing side (2010 - 2013), but now I just fly in when they let me know, and I'm still involved with a lot of "other" stuff, so I talk to the owner a lot...

There will be a metallic cover version of my Steam Engines of Oz hardcover and there should also be copies of the Steam Engines of Oz animated feature (based on the same). I think there will also be copies of Dominatrix: Hellbent in Heels, hopefully. Maybe some other stuff, too! When I find out the specific signing times, I'll post them here.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Got your booth on the list, @thelastbard. I hope I run into ya. 👍🏼
Post 21 IP   flag post
@00slim I was just told they didn't bring Hellbent In Heels, just everything Oz... a bit bummed, since Dom really just came out, but whatever. Ugh...

Signings, I was told "make my own schedule," ha ha. Let's see how traffic goes. I'm driving 70 miles each way rather than dealing with hotels.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
@00slim I was just told they didn't bring Hellbent In Heels, just everything Oz... a bit bummed, since Dom really just came out, but whatever. Ugh...

Signings, I was told "make my own schedule," ha ha. Let's see how traffic goes. I'm driving 70 miles each way rather than dealing with hotels.

LOL! "Make your own schedule" is another way of sayin' "buddy, you're on your own."

"...dealing with hotels" I interpret as "($$$$$) ...costs way the hell too much."

OTOH, take it from someone traveling across country by train to get here, 70 miles each way is beyond enviable.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica yes and yes, ha ha... In the however many years I've gone (14? I don't know), I've only stayed in a hotel once, even when I ran a booth. I did live closer until a couple of years ago, though.
Post 24 IP   flag post
600834 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?