Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original Artwork

New Original Art, commissions, sketch covers thread6768

Collector El_Dub13 private msg quote post Address this user
I just got this one. Contacted the artist (Esteban Salinas) through IG because of all the horror related covers that he's been doing during the shutdown. We hashed out the details and this is what I got. It's painted and varnished.
I plan on getting him to do a couple more for me.

Post 676 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Just in the mail today!
huh...colours don't quite come through as nice on the scan

Post 677 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Just in the mail today!
huh...colours don't quite come through as nice on the scan

Very nice. Who is the artist? Could not make it out.
Post 678 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips it looks like Mike Hoffman's work to me. @KatKomics will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure this is his art. I follow him on Facebook and absolutely love some of his work. I believe you can buy a commission from him on eBay.
Post 679 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@BrianGreensnips it looks like Mike Hoffman's work to me. @KatKomics will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure this is his art. I follow him on Facebook and absolutely love some of his work. I believe you can buy a commission from him on eBay.

100% correct...check him out on etsy to save some $$ vs the ebay prices
Post 680 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

100% correct...check him out on etsy to save some $$ vs the ebay prices

I completely forgot about the etsy account!! He is one I'd like to get a commission from someday. I think a snake woman in battle from him would turn out great. Good going on the two pieces you got!!
Post 681 IP   flag post
This one is a little bit different than what we usually post. It's not directly comic related. However, I know this person in real life and was surprised when I got it today. She said she had made something for me, but that was 5 or 6 weeks ago. LOL Anyway, I thought it looked pretty cool and I now have it hanging by some other art I have hanging in my room. I hope you all enjoy it.

Post 682 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Happy Birthday William Shatner! 🎂

Here is a page I own from Star Trek: The Ashes of Eden which is a comic based on the first Star Trek novel that he wrote. It's also signed on the top right by the man himself as well. 😁

Post 683 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
My 10th Paul Smith piece from his website.
They sell out quite quickly.
I have been looking for & purchasing only X-Men characters; but when I saw this guy, my X-Men goal changed right there and then.

Post 684 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this scan of a finished commission!

Post 685 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
ASM 129 recreation by Stefano Landini.
Post 686 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
My 10th Paul Smith piece from his website.
They sell out quite quickly.
I have been looking for & purchasing only X-Men characters; but when I saw this guy, my X-Men goal changed right there and then.

That’s a really nice one. I’ve been on there a few times, do the good ones sell out instantly??? I have a commission he did for me a very long time ago. He is one of my favourite creators I ever met.
Post 687 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite I'm curious about the commission process. How does it go from what you have in mind to the artists finished product? Are you verbally describing what you want? Are there confirmation steps along the way, or do you just give them a general idea and they take it from there?
Post 688 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia It depends on a couple of things. Sometimes I know exactly what I want and can describe it in great detail or even provide a rough sketch myself.

In all cases, I spend a lot of time finding the right artist for a particular subject. While there are certain artists I would gladly take any art I can get, I think a lot about what artist’s style best conveys the mood and style I’d like. Or sometimes I’ll see an artist that catches my eye and I search for an idea to fit it.

Clayton Crain is very well known for his work on Spider-Man, Venom, and Carnage so you see a lot of commission of those characters. When I got the opportunity, I looked at his work on Ghost Rider and from what I saw there I thought he would be a great artist to do the Phantasm, a character he likely never drew before if he was even aware of them in the first place

I got Billy Tucci to do a Bombshell Harley Quinn which confused a lot of people because he’d never illustrated Harley professionally. But I’ve known Billy for several years and he’s done excellent work on WWII comics like Sergeant Rock and I knew he really liked the character, which was why I asked him to do the character. Lo and behold a little while later and he illustrates a Bombshell Harley story

Sometimes I have a vague idea but I was attracted to the artist’s style so I’m more confident in letting the artist make more of the decisions. I also feel its important to let other ideas in since sometimes a great idea may come that you didn’t even consider. In all cases, I try to provide references at least for characters, but sometimes also for mood, composition, or style.

It also depends on how the artist operates. I’ve had a couple of artists where I’ll describe a general idea and they’ll do a rough sketch that we can discuss before they move on to the final. Some artists, I just provide a description and the next thing I know they’re done.

The Batman above I basically described as “Batman confronting the Phantasm in the graveyard near Bruce’s family’s grave” with some reference for the kind of look I wanted for the graveyard and The back as “Andrea holding the laughing Joker while the theme park explodes behind them” along with a screen caps of the scene from the film. I also knew that I wanted to make use of the corners of the borders similar to the borders on old film title cards so I provided some reference and a quick mock up

With this artist, that was all I saw until he sent me a scan of the completed piece.

Another artist I’m working with has a process going from rough concept to rough sketch before the final inked piece. I wasn’t sure exactly what I wanted. I sent him several rough ideas and for his concept stage asked him to iterate on any ideas he liked from the ones I provided and add his own. We ended up going with one of my ideas and I’m currently waiting on the rough
sketch
Post 689 IP   flag post
Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
I've cracked out a couple in the last few weeks...they're so much fun

Post 690 IP   flag post
@mediaslave You did these?
Post 691 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@mediaslave You did these?

Yeah, The painting ones were an experiment, as I haven't painted since highschool 20 years ago. So was the ghostrider.

Usually I do black and white ink stuff.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNin2L4g8aG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLvkfsmgNkz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLH-AYcAc9L/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL-M5wAgiAX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Post 692 IP   flag post
@mediaslave very cool. The Ghost Rider is awesome. Nice work.
Post 693 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@mediaslave very cool. The Ghost Rider is awesome. Nice work.

Thanks man! Got some better stuff coming in the next couple weeks, since I've been learning a thing or two.
Post 694 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
@mediaslave Dude, they're all good but I love that Ghost Rider.
Post 695 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckster
@mediaslave Dude, they're all good but I love that Ghost Rider.

Thanks man. That was my first time drawing on black, so the whole thing was just an experiment. Next one will be better.

I have 3 black venom books to do. Just bought an airbrush again too, so I'm doing some alien covers too
Post 696 IP   flag post
was thinking of getting a commission and came across the piece of preliminary art.....maybe down the road I can get it light boxed and inked or something?
14x16....not sure I'll be allowed to frame and hang it!!! lol!!

Post 697 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics Nice! That's a Hildebrandt right?
Post 698 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
@KatKomics Nice! That's a Hildebrandt right?

yup!
I was thinking of getting a small commission or maybe a cover and was looking through what was for sale on the site....and well..1930's 40's pulp inspired caught my eye!!
Post 699 IP   flag post
@Darkga yup
Post 700 IP   flag post
I'm not very good at speaking up or asking for things that I would like but I gave it a shot with this sketch.....for $50 Mr. Hildebrandt cleaned some things up and better defined others - reallly pops now!!
even changed up his signature!

revised

original!

Post 701 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user

Post 702 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Not the best photo. Some of the ones that made their way into my son's collection over the last year. He's in 1st grade. Not a bad start.

From left to right
Liefeld, Matt Wagner, Kevin Eastman, Mike Zeck, Liefeld
Eddy Barrows, Kevin Eastman, George Perez

Post 703 IP   flag post
Just got this scan of my latest commission! They should be on their way to CBCS soon!

Post 704 IP   flag post
Collector EddieTheComicGuy private msg quote post Address this user
This isn’t one of my sketch covers but I finished it last night. Thought everyone would like to see it.
Post 705 IP   flag post
600777 722 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?