Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original Artwork

New Original Art, commissions, sketch covers thread6768

Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Picked this up around 10-12 years ago. My first piece of OA. From my favorite SA artist Carmine The Great!

Ms. Marvel (1977) Issue 14 page 1

Post 501 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Just in! I have been waiting a looooong time for this Tim Truman piece done for and published in the Grateful Dead Almanac. Love the skeleton of Jerry's hand!

Post 502 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock sweet!!! "What'll you raise?"
Post 503 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user

Just got this cool sketch cover by Ken Risner. hat do you guys think? Should I submit it for an original art program?
Post 504 IP   flag post
Collector monjoody private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett

Just got this cool sketch cover by Ken Risner. hat do you guys think? Should I submit it for an original art program?

Personally, I'm planning on doing that with all of my sketch covers (currently have five raw, and four graded). It's up to you, but I'd opt for grading and signature verification with that beauty.
Post 505 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I would just have Art designation and not graded. If it got anything other than a 9.8 I'd be pissed looking at it, rather than just enjoying the art.
Post 506 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Personally I would just have Art designation and not graded. If it got anything other than a 9.8 I'd be pissed looking at it, rather than just enjoying the art.

I do see your point.

In that case, why not grade screen it and opt for the ART designation if it doesn't pass?
Post 507 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Thinking more about it,

In a way, it is not really a comic at this point. It is more original art. You dont have original art graded on a 10 point scale. You let it speak for it self. Grades are only important to designate condition of the comic for resale. The subtle mistakes and damage that the artist might have made to the medium only add to its authenticity.

I have an artwork done by quesada and you can see the pencil Mark's and scuffs before it was inked by palmiotti. When I showed it to an original art guy that was the first thing he mentioned. It showed that it wasnt just a polished print for mass consumption. It was one of a kind even with those errors.

Edit.

No offense. This is only my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own and none are better or right versus someone else's.
Post 508 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thinking more about it,

In a way, it is not really a comic at this point. It is more original art. You dont have original art graded on a 10 point scale. You let it speak for it self. Grades are only important to designate condition of the comic for resale. The subtle mistakes and damage that the artist might have made to the medium only add to its authenticity.

I have an artwork done by quesada and you can see the pencil Mark's and scuffs before it was inked by palmiotti. When I showed it to an original art guy that was the first thing he mentioned. It showed that it wasnt just a polished print for mass consumption. It was one of a kind even with those errors.

These are all great points. When I sent in my sketch covers, I was very back/forth on whether I wanted them graded or not, for the same reasons. As you mentioned, art is imperfect. I love looking at the pencil lines of the sketches before they were inked in. And, especially in the case of sketch art, is a 9.8 gonna matter to a collector if the character drawn (or artist that drew it), isn't who they're looking for?

But at the same time, a sketch that has been well preserved/framed will command more IF you sell it, over one that wasn't cared for. So, at least for me, I opted for the grade on them. I wasn't expecting a 9.8 on any of them, as I have a 9.4 and a 9.2 (the latter is my favorite, by far) in my collection, but I was pleasantly surprised. As long as they didn't come back at >8.5, I would've been happy.

That said, the ART designation is a really cool option that's offered.
Post 509 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I agree. For example, I have an Iron Man sketch done by George Perez. He first did rough pencils and finished it in marker. I love seeing the pencil lines. I love how raw it looks.
Post 510 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte You beat me to it. That's one of the things I love about original art. Even the pages used. When you see the original, you see the white out, the blue notes, and the imperfections you don't see on the finished page. I love that stuff. It makes it seem more "real" to me. That's my thought on it, though. To each his own.
Post 511 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
Question, if we submit sketch covers for the ART label, does the artist have to fill anything out? Or is it just a "ART - Sketch on Blank Variant" label?
Does the ART label have to verify the artist?

Cause I have a stack of covers I would like to send in for the ART label, but I would not want to have to go back to all of them (Some are not really famous anyway) and ask them to fill out paperwork.
Post 512 IP   flag post
@Puckster

I own one piece by tony daniels. It was done on a DC logo paper. (I would imagine its authentic, but I'm too poor / cheap to verify) that piece always made me wonder if it ever was a cover art.

But yes, even the media itself made it special and kinda makes your mind wonder the possibilities...

That's the one thing I like about original art, it isnt just a 8.5.x 11 drawing. It can be a comic back board or a DC logo paper.

Enclosed are 2 pieces that I thought were unique, Neal Adam's 5 minute sketch (or so I was told) and the aforementioned daniels art.

Post 513 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips

Fo you have a photo of that iron man?
Post 514 IP   flag post
@ThorneArt

A member of the forum. @dielinfinite created this thread and it has I think some pertinent information on your question.

A cursory glance i think suggests that it will be given blue label if you dont have documentation for getting yellow. (It was a quick glance and you are better off reading than taking my word in it)

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/9896/page/1/cbcs-101-a-newbies-guide/#30
Post 515 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@ThorneArt

A member of the forum. @dielinfinite created this thread and it has I think some pertinent information on your question.

A cursory glance i think suggests that it will be given blue label if you dont have documentation for getting yellow. (It was a quick glance and you are better off reading than taking my word in it)

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/9896/page/1/cbcs-101-a-newbies-guide/#30

Thanks for the link, I agree, looks like they would be blue labels.
Post 516 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Had this done by Rob Guillory of Chew and Farmhand fame. I didnt realize I could have had him send this to CBCS for yellow label. Live and learn.

Deadpool vs. Wolverine

Post 517 IP   flag post
Here is an original sheet from Chew 20 (pg 14) that I ordered off Rob Guillory's website maybe 8yrs ago

Post 518 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@Hcanes I own some of his work including a Farmhand cover. Easy to deal with and items get shipped out very fast.

Anyone heard anything about the Farmhand show he was working on?
Post 519 IP   flag post
@Towmater agreed. He turned this commission over in a month. Super easy to deal with. Great guy in person as well. I had the chance to meet him at Wizard World New Orleans a while back when I went down to Baton Rouge to visit a friend.

As far as the TV show I haven't heard anything new.
Post 520 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@BrianGreensnips

Post 521 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
@BrianGreensnips

Love it. A George Perez Iron Man was the first commission I ever got. I've been hooked ever since.
Post 522 IP   flag post
This is a quick pic that the artist (Armando Ramirez) sent me; should have the physical version in-hand tomorrow.

Post 523 IP   flag post
I had two of my Punisher commissions digitally colored by Dennis Lehmann(they're in this thread a couple pages back). Here are the results.

Post 524 IP   flag post
I've had these connecting sketch covers for a couple of years now and I finally decided to have them digitally colored as well.
Stefano Landini - pencils/inks
Dennis Lehmann - colors

Post 525 IP   flag post
I've been toying with the idea of getting a Punisher commission from Ramona Fradon. I've searched high and low and couldn't find any example where she'd drawn him before. So I decided to go for it. We'll see how it turned out in about a month. Hopefully.
Post 526 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
This one is on its way from the artist!

Post 527 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Just in today!!! going to get framed on the weekend maybe??
This was offered through CGC so I got 2 magazine size done (since CBCS doesn't have that size) and this!!

I know this is like the 1 sketch he does but damned!!! I love it!!!
Little bit of finer pencil still left that doesn't quite show on the scan

This is on...I don't know...golden age backing board?? 7 3/4 x 10 1/2

Post 528 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
I've been toying with the idea of getting a Punisher commission from Ramona Fradon. I've searched high and low and couldn't find any example where she'd drawn him before. So I decided to go for it. We'll see how it turned out in about a month. Hopefully.

I have 2 Aquaman and 1 Aqualad sketch from Ramona - even at her age she is doing great work!! I should probably get something else - just cant think what....Black Manta maybe??
Post 529 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics What I don’t understand is that Beckett has a magazine-sized holder, so why doesn’t CBCS use it (but with their label), at least until they get their version done? My only thought could be that maybe it’s not designed for protection to a sufficient standard (the inner well looks a bit iffy) but that seems like an easier hurdle to jump than going 6 years without a magazine-sized holder.

Sure CBCS could announce a magazine-sized slab tomorrow as one has been rumored for the end of the year but even then, they’ve been owned by Beckett for years now and it really seems they could’ve brought a much-needed service to market some time ago but just haven’t for some reason.

Post 530 IP   flag post
600884 722 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?