Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original Artwork

New Original Art, commissions, sketch covers thread6768

Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Received a scan of the rough layouts for my next jam. Fantastic Four in the Baxter Building with symbiote in captivity (we all know how that worked out).

Post 226 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Also from SDCC

Tim Vigil

Siggy what am I seeing here...is this one cover that is front and back or two books...its stunning. I assume its a blank front and back? superb drawing for sure....envious
Post 227 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user

Bad luck for Ed Benes on these, but I finally got it.
Post 228 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Also from SDCC

Tim Vigil

Siggy what am I seeing here...is this one cover that is front and back or two books...its stunning. I assume its a blank front and back? superb drawing for sure....envious

Yep, it's a front & back (or back & front) view of a blank he worked on, put together in one image. Thanks
Post 229 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 Bad luck?
Post 230 IP   flag post

Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@etapi65 Bad luck?
Oh, yeah. So, Ed lives in Brazil...apparently the Brazilian postal service is known for massive amounts of theft. They originally printed only 15 blank sketch covers with silver metal logos. Those, along with all other issues that were mailed to Brazil for Ed were swiped...vanished...from the Brazil post office. They basically had to reprint a TON of the comics from the kickstarter with no extra money coming in, get the new ones for sigs/sketches back to Ed, get them graded and then shipped out. Oddly enough, still fullfilled faster than White Widow #1 kickstarter. I paid towards supporting this kickstarter on 8/22/2018 so a long wait, but nothing they could do about it. Feel bad for them that this may not have actually made them any money.
Post 231 IP   flag post
Damn, that sucks!
Post 232 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
@etapi65 Bad luck?
Oh, yeah. So, Ed lives in Brazil...apparently the Brazilian postal service is known for massive amounts of theft. They originally printed only 15 blank sketch covers with silver metal logos. Those, along with all other issues that were mailed to Brazil for Ed were swiped...vanished...from the Brazil post office. They basically had to reprint a TON of the comics from the kickstarter with no extra money coming in, get the new ones for sigs/sketches back to Ed, get them graded and then shipped out. Oddly enough, still fullfilled faster than White Widow #1 kickstarter. I paid towards supporting this kickstarter on 8/22/2018 so a long wait, but nothing they could do about it. Feel bad for them that this may not have actually made them any money.

Yep- shipped 2 packages to Brazil. The first made it to Brazil but then disappeared in the airport. The second one made it
Post 233 IP   flag post
Btw - bought this the other day. Hopefully will receive it safely

Post 234 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user

Post 235 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
One of two recent acquisitions through HA...

Bob Eggleton (cover art, Robert Heinlein's Assignment In Eternity, 4 novellas, 2012)
Post 236 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
One of two recent acquisitions through HA...

Bob Eggleton (cover art, Robert Heinlein's Assignment In Eternity, 4 novellas, 2012)

SWEEEEEET!
Post 237 IP   flag post
Overstreet Price Guide painted cover by J.K. Snyder III

Post 238 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Overstreet Price Guide painted cover by J.K. Snyder III

Beautiful artwork!
Post 239 IP   flag post
Venom First Host #3 pages 16 & 17

Post 240 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I may have posted this in another thread, but Bob Burden added a quick sketch to a book I bought from him recently.

These below are likely reposts from earlier in the thread. I'm not really sure.

A more detailed sketch that was framed by letterer Roxanne Starr.

... and a published page.

Post 241 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I may have posted this in another thread, but Bob Burden added a quick sketch to a book I bought from him recently.

Love Bob's work! I own the OA to the t-shirt "Fortune Favors The Bold". It's a huge piece. Just love it and will try to take a pic and post it here at some point.
Post 242 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 243 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Love Bob's work! I own the OA to the t-shirt "Fortune Favors The Bold". It's a huge piece. Just love it and will try to take a pic and post it here at some point.

He uses oversized paper to draw his original pieces and has a unique source to acquire it.
I've said it elsewhere, but Bob and I hung out at the same comic shops in town and had the same friends. Despite that fact, I never met him until 1994 or so which was about 25 years later. I'd walk into a shop and the manager would casually say "Bob Burden was just here. He dropped this off" I'd say "Who?" They'd explain to me who he was. I'd have to clarify that I'd never met him before. They'd look at me in amazement. It'd have to say it again, "I have no idea who you are talking about!"

Eventually, he did a store signing at a comic shop I frequented a lot and I met him. Bob, the store owner's wife, and myself had lunch together and he was talking about the Mystery Men characters. I sat through the whole lunch and never picked up on the fact that a movie was in development. He was talking about artwork and the comics and a variant for one issue of Flaming Carrot.

Since that time, I've run into him on countless occasions. I ran into him once at a computer store. Twice I've run into him at restaurants and had dinner with him. He invited me to join him both times. The last time I saw him at a restaurant it was very memorable. He was waiting for Lamar Waldron to show up. That was cool because Lamar showed up and had a lot of great stories. We talked about Dave Stevens and a lot of the creators that Lamar knew. Lamar used to host Atlanta Fantasy Fair and he published Visions Magazine where Bob's first work was published. At one point I owned a copy of that because it was a free giveaway at Atlanta Fantasy Fair.

Bob's good guy. A weird sense of humor, but not quite as weird as mine.
Post 244 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I've only been able to pickup the odd sketch from HA or ashcan with a sketch on the back from ebay etc.

He needs to come to the Toronto Fan Expo - there's maple syrup, smoked salmon and some wine in it for him!!
Post 245 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
He was waiting for Lamar Waldron to show up. That was cool because Lamar showed up and had a lot of great stories. We talked about Dave Stevens and a lot of the creators that Lamar knew. Lamar used to host Atlanta Fantasy Fair and he published Visions Magazine where Bob's first work was published. At one point I owned a copy of that because it was a free giveaway at Atlanta Fantasy Fair.

I loved the Atlanta Fantasy Fair! Best convention I've ever been to. What a blast! It must have been fun as hell hanging out with those two.
Post 246 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 nice Steranko! His stuff is pricey and not as easy to come by as others.
Post 247 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
He was waiting for Lamar Waldron to show up. That was cool because Lamar showed up and had a lot of great stories. We talked about Dave Stevens and a lot of the creators that Lamar knew. Lamar used to host Atlanta Fantasy Fair and he published Visions Magazine where Bob's first work was published. At one point I owned a copy of that because it was a free giveaway at Atlanta Fantasy Fair.

I loved the Atlanta Fantasy Fair! Best convention I've ever been to. What a blast! It must have been fun as hell hanging out with those two.

It was a real comic book convention. Steranko designed the logo.

Post 248 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
so...i couldn't make it to the Toronto FanExpo this year and really I only wanted to get a sketch from Mr. Gilbert
Luckily I won this tonight for less than the price of admission! Thanks HA!!!! Is a little larger than I would like (11x17) but it will do

Post 249 IP   flag post

Post 250 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Siggy Nice score on the Vigil's!!!! I love his work!!! I want to eventually get a nice inked piece of his to add to my collection. I have some prelim drawings in pen that he did, but nothing of the quality you just shared!!!
Post 251 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I kept forgetting to post these ... From HeroesCon in Charlotte this year. The first one is an up-and-comer named AC Zamudio and she is fantastic. I got this one for my dad for Father's Day. He doesn't really know anything (or care) about comics. So, jokingly, I asked him if he wanted me to get him a comic book from the convention. Joking right back he said, "Sure! How about Superman number one?"

Little did he know, there are LOTS of Superman #1's out there. So I picked one up and commissioned this sketch for him, and was just blown away at how well it turned out.

The second one is from Jeff Dekal. He's a great artist, as I'm sure many of you know, and he's also a really nice guy. Reserved, but very good natured, very equanimous. He's also quite picky about commissions. First off he said, only head shots for a comic blank. What? Oh, boy ... there go three of my ideas. So I came up with another suggestion. Nope, not her. Okay, how about [ ... ]? Well, I COULD do her, but with just the head, could you really tell who it was? Oh, right. Okay, maybe [ ... ]?

Anyway, he finally agreed to do this one. I'm curious, though, how obvious it is to everyone who she is? (But I do LOVE the way it turned out.)

Post 252 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid Black Canary?
Post 253 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Tedsaid Black Canary?

Yep! Good one!
Post 254 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid I do like that Superman!!! I like the art style the artist used. It kind of reminds me of the old parody and spoof comics that Cracked did in the '70's. And the Black Canary is quite an intriguing piece. It has a sophisticated feel to it. I feel like I should be in a tux to even look at it!!! And I like that he is basically highlighting the neck. Not many artists would do that. It's kind of a ballsy move, but it works very well in this instance. Overall, I think you got two great pieces there!! Good job!
Post 255 IP   flag post
600656 722 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?