Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Mile High (Priced) Comics6755

Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience buying books from these guys before.

Their prices always seem to be way waaaaay out of market value, but obviously have the inventory to back them up.

They have a few books I want for con signings but I am also worried on their grades.

Thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Sign up for the email newsletter and every few months you’ll get a 40% off codewaord. Dont buy without that, bc you’re right; mile high prices.

Others have not been happy with grades, but I’ve bought from them quite a bit and have yet to be disappointed.

At this very moment there is a 50% off sale. Codeword at checkout is JULY4TH
Post 2 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer you are amazing

Thank you!
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
@shrewbeer you are amazing

Thank you!

Thanks 🍺

His business model is much like Kohls department store. Huge markups with deep discounts to make people think they are getting a great deal. The 40% usually brings prices around fmv, but the 1/2times per year 50% does offer some decent deals
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
my experience has been books are overgraded and the prices are high

ymmv
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I've only ordered when they run a 50-60% off sale and haven't been upset with their grading. I also don't buy any keys, but the markups can be ridiculous even with 60% off. They pack the books well, but not everything is bagged/boarded properly. Modern comics in SA bags with no board for example so just be prepared to re-bag and board everything.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

His business model is much like Kohls department store. Huge markups with deep discounts to make people think they are getting a great deal. The 40% usually brings prices around fmv, but the 1/2times per year 50% does offer some decent deals

This +1

I shop Milehigh only when they have their 50% or over sales. Usually the books I am after are B-Character X-"insert team" keys and are not priced terribly too high.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
They've been a crapshoot since I've been buying from them in the early 1980's.

The "NM" Mile High II copies I bought back then were gorgeous, the few I've had slabbed came back 9.6's.

I've bought run fillers that I've been pleased with and others have arrived in grungy shape.

The most irritating issue I've had with them is when I purchase a book they have listed on eBay, only to find out 7-10 days later it's not available for some reason...and then see a similar copy listed a few days later for a higher price. At one point that happened with 3 consecutive attempted purchases and they kept giving me coupons for 10% off my next order. The last time I told them to stuff their coupon because what good is it if I can never use it? I haven't bought from them since.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I've called Mile High a couple of times looking for specific issues to complete sets/runs. The website is hot garbage; rather than navigate that masterpiece of early 90's web design I call the warehouse. The staff is always helpful & professional. The the prices for the things I've been looking for have been high, but nothing outrageous; but if I can't find it locally, you guys don't have it, and even eBay comes up empty, the only options are to wait or pay what the man wants.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with most of the comments above - don't buy unless you have that 40%-60% discount code.
I have been mostly ok with the quality 'NM' is a large range and books have always been somewhere in that 9.2-9.8

And yes...the web site is just horrible (and I'm still working with hot keys and no GUI or mouse on some of the software at work [1980's!!!!])
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a book from them on eBay and got an email a week later saying they were out of stock. Not only did they credit my Paypal account, but they also gave me $20 credit for a future purchase. I wound up buying some early Adam Hughes' Maze Agency with the credit.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
i was there there visiting my wife sister. in denver Co. went by the wherehouse, it a very big place, with lot of stuff in there. but there overpriced on all there comics i have to say. i will post some pics of the over pricer comics later tonight.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Are there a lot of people buying overpriced comic??? Always wondered how they stay in business (or at least have a brick and mortar) with such a large overhead.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Are there a lot of people buying overpriced comic??? Always wondered how they stay in business (or at least have a brick and mortar) with such a large overhead.
I've always heard they do a good deal of mail order with overseas customers, so there's that.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
They even have my ONE MHC exclusive on there, ha ha...

clickable text

Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have noticed that on Ebay, some books I have been looking for, they have at lower prices than other sellers. And I am talking about graded books in slabs.

What could go wrong?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Chuck believes in one stop shopping. His goal is to have every comic ever made in stock. There are high cost in making that available to his customers. If he had a comic that I wanted and it saved me two years of looking at shows and other comic shops, I'd pay more. If I'm trying to complete a set of Topps comics, most dealers are not going to waste their time pricing and listing it all. Chuck would. There are some newsstand variants of Continuity Comics I'd buy if they could be found at comic shows. Most are worth so little and scorned by dealers that they'd be hidden away in some storage facility rather than in their shop.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@X51 but in a world with online commerce, that sales method is archaic. The whole premise of ebay is to level the playing field.

Plus, with the totals he is overpriced with, you can't even say it's cheaper than getting hit with shipping totals from buying with each separate seller LOL

@conditionfreak the only way that's possible is because he has books that don't sell. Or he's low on staff and haven't been able to update his million count inventory. He does literally have every book.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I used to order from Mile High Comics all the time in the 1980's and was always pleased. I remember quite a few times ordering back issues in Fine and was pleasantly surprised when they arrived and were NM. Back then the sales were great and regular prices not inflated like they are today. In recent years I have placed only a few orders because I was not satisfied with comics that are described as NM and arrive with stress marks or other minor flaws. I have had much better luck with buying in lesser grades. I am appalled at some of the prices I see on Bay & wonder how they stay in business! Also, I refuse to buy from ANY eBay seller who will only post stock photos.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
@X51 but in a world with online commerce, that sales method is archaic. The whole premise of ebay is to level the playing field.

Plus, with the totals he is overpriced with, you can't even say it's cheaper than getting hit with shipping totals from buying with each separate seller LOL

@conditionfreak the only way that's possible is because he has books that don't sell. Or he's low on staff and haven't been able to update his million count inventory. He does literally have every book.

Chuck can decide that. I chatted with him at an Atlanta show he did. He brought obscure drek to the show and wasn't selling anything. He was being greeted by a steady flow of happy customers for his online service. I pretty much decided that his show presence was more of a marketing tool. He really didn't seem to care if he made back his table money. I'd buy from Chuck before I'd gamble with something on eBay. His customer base is huge. He consistently sells out of desirable keys.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
I have seen pictures of that place but I have never been there!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
They are 50/50 sometimes I get some nice stuff than other times no but that's really the risk you take buying comics even with sports cards, grades on raw is really subjective you may have a 9.8 someone says is no more than a 9.6 or something
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I haven’t bought comics from Mike High since probably in nearly 30 years...but I have vivid memories of opening up those two page spreads and ogling over their diverse selection.

I was in Denver about 10 years ago, and didn’t think to go there...I was out of comics (on hiatus) at that time. Haven’t been back.

Chuck seems to be a great guy and has amassed an amazing assortment. Visiting MHC is definitely on my bucket list.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
After watching this video, I understand why the grades fluctuate so much.

And there is a lesson sort of hidden in this video, if you pay attention you will hear it. For those of you who think owning an LCS or selling comic books from your home for a LIVING. Pay attention to the wise words from Chuck. You can not make a living selling comic books. Hence why so many LCS's are about statues, gaming and other sundry things. And this applies to Conventions also, I believe. You need to have much more than comic books for sale. Or you better have a day job.

It is an addiction.
It is a hobby.
It can be an investment.
It can be profitable if you are really good at it.

But it will not make you a living.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
After watching this video, I understand why the grades fluctuate so much.

And there is a lesson sort of hidden in this video, if you pay attention you will hear it. For those of you who think owning an LCS or selling comic books from your home for a LIVING. Pay attention to the wise words from Chuck. You can not make a living selling comic books. Hence why so many LCS's are about statues, gaming and other sundry things. And this applies to Conventions also, I believe. You need to have much more than comic books for sale. Or you better have a day job.

It is an addiction.
It is a hobby.
It can be an investment.
It can be profitable if you are really good at it.

Well, this may be true today, but Chuck built his entire Mile High empire off of one collection of comics he had the good fortune to uncover in the mid-1970's. Edgar Church's family didn't fare too badly either as Chuck had to mortgage his home and take on partners to finance the deal.

BTW, I knew Chuck before he was approached about this collection, back when he was still bumming rides to conventions.

If a savvy dealer came across a similar collection of high grade GA books today, I'd wager that he/she could accomplish a similar feat with quicker, more lucrative results given today's high stakes market place.

Food for thought.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
That place has so many comics it is amazing! I want to go on a trip to go see mile high comics!
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

At the very least.....not an easy living. Being a back issue dealer is so difficult. You have to be constantly buying...all the time.....replenishing stock has to be your top priority. I really believe this is why dealers pay a fraction of the value because they really don't know when (and how big) their next purchase will be. They have to make those profit margins stretch....it must be tough to be constantly on the hunt for back issue stock when its not for your PC.
Post 29 IP   flag post
598088 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?