Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The Dallas move, Status updates, questions and concerns6722

Collector Triplecdad private msg quote post Address this user
So I drive the two hours to Phoenix Comic Fest (which by the way is apparently changing its name because it no longer wants to be called a comic book con) to submit 18 of my books. Having never done this before, I am nervous. Some of these, such as FF 49 and 50, I bought off the rack so have held onto them for a long time.CGC is there, but I am terrified of being stricken with Newton Ring syndrome, let alone what might occur with my books, so I avoid that booth. CBCS is helpful and away the books go. That was in May. Honestly, I just checked my dashboard, and nothing is there. But, you know what? They are comic books. They get more valuable with age. The sky is not falling because CBCS cannot grade them overnight. I take a deep breath and think positive. Gee whiz, a small company made a move across the country and its orders got delayed!!! That has never happened before to anyone else . . .
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector RareComics private msg quote post Address this user
@Jake_Fleming Thanks for your post! It means a lot to many of us just to know that someone is still there and listening. Looking forward to any further updates, even very brief ones. I, for one, greatly appreciate all that CBCS does. I know problems happen.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplecdad
So I drive the two hours to Phoenix Comic Fest (which by the way is apparently changing its name because it no longer wants to be called a comic book con) to submit 18 of my books. Having never done this before, I am nervous. Some of these, such as FF 49 and 50, I bought off the rack so have held onto them for a long time.CGC is there, but I am terrified of being stricken with Newton Ring syndrome, let alone what might occur with my books, so I avoid that booth. CBCS is helpful and away the books go. That was in May. Honestly, I just checked my dashboard, and nothing is there. But, you know what? They are comic books. They get more valuable with age. The sky is not falling because CBCS cannot grade them overnight. I take a deep breath and think positive. Gee whiz, a small company made a move across the country and its orders got delayed!!! That has never happened before to anyone else . . .


The biggest issue is when you paid extra for it to be done quickly and it ends up taking longer then standard pass. But even standard passes CONSISTENTLY going over deadlines is unacceptable IMO. Should they not be held responsible for their TaTs? Hell, how about no one is held accountable for deadlines....Hey doc that STAT surgey lets do it next week. Hey innocent guy in jail we are pushing your trial another year don't worry you will have 3 hots and a cot in the mean time.

Maybe CBCS should take a survey for those who actually care about deadlines and those who don't...those who do get their sh!t on time while the others get it when CBCS gets to it?
Post 78 IP   flag post
CBCS TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
There are a couple of things I'd like to mention that may or may not have been addressed.

1) ABSOLUTELY no one is more disappointed and frustrated with CBCS right now than those of us that work here. We're doing as much as we can as quickly as we can to get things back on track but it's going to take some time.

2) We're not operating at 100% (obviously) and the main reason for that is not everyone in the company made the move to Dallas. Most of the graders made the move but we had a number of people in Customer Service/Receiving, Production and Shipping that did not. The simple solution to this is hire more people, however, it's not that easy of a fix. Sure, we could just bring whoever in to fill the positions that are vacant right now but is that what anyone really wants? We'd much rather screen potential new hires effectively and make sure that the people that will be handling your books fully understand how to do that properly.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
There are a couple of things I'd like to mention that may or may not have been addressed.

1) ABSOLUTELY no one is more disappointed and frustrated with CBCS right now than those of us that work here. We're doing as much as we can as quickly as we can to get things back on track but it's going to take some time.

2) We're not operating at 100% (obviously) and the main reason for that is not everyone in the company made the move to Dallas. Most of the graders made the move but we had a number of people in Customer Service/Receiving, Production and Shipping that did not. The simple solution to this is hire more people, however, it's not that easy of a fix. Sure, we could just bring whoever in to fill the positions that are vacant right now but is that what anyone really wants? We'd much rather screen potential new hires effectively and make sure that the people that will be handling your books fully understand how to do that properly.


So that's it? All those negatively effected are S.O.L? No sort of good will gesture? Here is an idea free membership renewals. It costs you nothing and may keep some if not all your customers who are annoyed and contemplating going to the other side of the street. Remember CGC on average still sell for more, TaTs are better(ATM,) and they have enough clout/money to have exclusive rights to conventions (re reading that sentence makes me wonder why I'm still here lol) as a newer business, reputation is extremely important as I'm sure you guys know. It Might be a hard pill to swallow for those who only have a couple of submissions for slabbing that are effected but again it costs you NOTHING and I'd imagine will go a long way in the long run. Just my 2 cents. Only grading company I've ever used is CBCS never bothered with the other guys, I like rooting for the underdog Mark and the rest of the ASP team are good guys that I like dealing with. Here's to my overdue submissions all coming back as 9.8's or better
Post 80 IP   flag post


CBCS TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@teacha777 I'm just trying to provide some further information as to how and why things got to the point they currently are. You keep talking about getting a free membership renewal, well... that's not my call to make. Whether or not there's any sort of compensation is a decision for the higher ups to decide.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user
@TimBildhauser First, i'd like to thank you for the info. It's nice to get some kind of intel on what's going on. With that said, I'm still rather disappointed with the whole debacle. I used to work in the auto industry at a machining plant. One thing we used to do was "PM" or Preventive Maintenance. Replacing a tool on my machine before a catastrophic failure was imperative so that I could complete my production of parts on time or even early. To me, it would seem that the powers that be would have seen the bumps in the road for the big move, such as losing personnel not coming with them. People could have been trained ahead of the move and been in place and maybe things might have gone more smoothly. At any rate I hope the best for everyone concerned.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Collector Excelsiorcomix private msg quote post Address this user
If I took my car to a mechanic, which I need for work... and the mechanic says it will be ready in 2 days, but then later says that the car may take well over a month, well then I may lose my job. Many people that submit comics with 2 day, quickstream, etc, do so because they resell, and are dependent on the certain level of service that they in fact paid for. Much like the stock market, books are volatile. Who can we speak with as far as partial refunds/comp memberships etc? Because at this point, my phone calls, emails, requests on here futile. At this point cbcs we know was not proactive, is definitely not being reactive, and looks like there are more than a handful of very upset customers.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
@teacha777 I'm just trying to provide some further information as to how and why things got to the point they currently are. You keep talking about getting a free membership renewal, well... that's not my call to make. Whether or not there's any sort of compensation is a decision for the higher ups to decide.


Well yea I'm talking some sort of compensation from December to now I've spent thousands of dollars with you guys and have nothing to show for it ATM. I haven't gone around the net slandering your name, just posting on your forum my opinion. I don't want to do private email/calls because I think everyone effected deserves some sort of good will gesture. If I went with CGC I would of got most of my books back already from what I hear and been able to sell them for the same value or more! Present value of money>future value generally speaking FYI. And I don't mean to single you out but you have more clout at CBCS then me....I might of paid a mortgage payment or 2 for an employee but that's it lol.

Thanks for your speedy reply!
Post 84 IP   flag post
CBCS TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
You're right, a lot of this could have been prevented. People should have been hired and trained to in advance of the move. However, that wasn't done and I don't know the details of why that occurred. I've mentioned before that I work remotely, I have limited information on the day to day goings on at the Dallas office. My intent is to try and provide at least some amount of information regardless of how limited it might be.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
Would be smart to stop accepting rushed orders until stuff is under control because now my order is entering week I think 15 or 16 because all the other orders get pushed ahead and my stuff and sure others keep getting pushed back

My order was received back on March 12th
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector Unknown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
There are a couple of things I'd like to mention that may or may not have been addressed.

1) ABSOLUTELY no one is more disappointed and frustrated with CBCS right now than those of us that work here. We're doing as much as we can as quickly as we can to get things back on track but it's going to take some time.

2) We're not operating at 100% (obviously) and the main reason for that is not everyone in the company made the move to Dallas. Most of the graders made the move but we had a number of people in Customer Service/Receiving, Production and Shipping that did not. The simple solution to this is hire more people, however, it's not that easy of a fix. Sure, we could just bring whoever in to fill the positions that are vacant right now but is that what anyone really wants? We'd much rather screen potential new hires effectively and make sure that the people that will be handling your books fully understand how to do that properly.


I guess the disappointment for me is that if the move and minimizing impact was the priority then why attend 3 cons on the weekend?
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector fivestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert86m
Would be smart to stop accepting rushed orders until stuff is under control


As much as that would suck for me, I'd much rather you say you can't do it until you're caught up than say you're going to meet TATs on a 2 day modern, take my money for that service, and then fail to deliver (which you knew was likely)... At least then I can decide if I just want to sell raw, wait on a longer service, or just send in once caught up.

As someone above mentioned, books can be volatile (especially new/hot books... or spoiled books--thanks for screwing my margins NYT!) and not being able to rely on an expedited service we've paid for can be very frustrating as we watch book values fluctuate/fall as we wait.

Just my $0.02
Post 88 IP   flag post
Collector Varaek13 private msg quote post Address this user
How can you read all these comments Jake, and then try to say that I'm trying to rile folks up? ***edited by moderator*** Best point made was that you all went to cons and accepted orders, knowing you wouldnt be able to deliver on time. Had no problems taking the money out though
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
@fivestar Beckett just did the same thing and turned off 10 day orders to catch up to the other service levels with a backlog they can't keep this up and taking in 2 day or other orders and keep pushing back the other levels if they think I will be sitting here till the end of this month waiting without some kinda refund toward what I spent into the grading they are crazy, I grade sports cards through Beckett hundreds at a time no one knows how volatile a market is until they deal in sports cards and was using CBCS as a suggestion from a rep telling me no problem they will be done in the 12 weeks it's not an issue


Problem right now is CBCS knows they are backlogged at this point and are still taking in every order they can
Post 90 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
I only submitted for the 1st time, ever, in April. My first batch of books of 2 day moderns, and fast press moderns all came back quick, on time, even under suggested tat.
Now my next set of books I submitted all have been affected by a move, that I as a new customer, was unaware of. Now I am not a dealer, I don't plan on submitting tons of books, but when I do/did I pay extra to get them back sooner.
The thing I really don't understand, and I'm not trying to be "dat bish," is why cbcs would continue to even offer "expedited" anything. If you are any sort of business that offers a deadline and you miss it,then compensation should be offered. It doesn't even have to be full refunds, credit on next order, coupons, etc would go a long way. I worked retail jobs for years before my current job, you'd amazed at how many angry customer situations can be resolved by a simple coupon.

Whether anyone realizes it or not at cbcs, this is a business killing fiasco occurring and the seeming lack of concern from higher ups is alarming. At the end of the day all you have as a business is a reputation. Or as Tony Montanna says "your word and your balls." I switched to cbcs because I liked the holder better and heard about great customer service. This is not that. For every dealer cbcs keeps I'm sure you're losing 4-5 casual submissions. I haven't spent a fortune, but I've probably spent about $1000 since April. Maybe that's not a lot compared to some, but a few people like me that stop submitting and that's $5/6000 in "walk in" revenue leaving the business. CBCS should really get their house in order and send something out to all the current customers to stop the bleeding. No other business would do this and survive.
@TimBildhauser @Jake_Fleming
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector Wonderwomen1416 private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS stole my comics!!! I haven’t heard anything from them and I submitted mine at a Comic Con back in April. This angers me so much. I cant believe 12 of my most prized book are gone. I don’t know what to do. Should I get a lawyer? I called and left countless messages. No one got back to me. I’m sick to my stomach overall of this!
Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector Guy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwomen1416
CBCS stole my comics!!! I haven’t heard anything from them and I submitted mine at a Comic Con back in April. This angers me so much. I cant believe 12 of my most prized book are gone. I don’t know what to do. Should I get a lawyer? I called and left countless messages. No one got back to me. I’m sick to my stomach overall of this!


Join the club.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector fivestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwomen1416
CBCS stole my comics!!! I haven’t heard anything from them and I submitted mine at a Comic Con back in April. This angers me so much. I cant believe 12 of my most prized book are gone. I don’t know what to do. Should I get a lawyer? I called and left countless messages. No one got back to me. I’m sick to my stomach overall of this!


I know it might feel that way, but unless they have specifically told you they can't find them, I'm sure they are fine.

I'm annoyed as well, but nobodys stuff has been "stolen". I have no doubt that stuff is going to be completed to the same standards as always, I just wish they could step up the communication/transparency, figure out how they will make it up to people (or even just officially announced they are looking into compensation options), and shut down any new expedited submissions until the backlog is under control.

People will understand that.

Alternatively, people will continue to fill the void left in the absence of official announcements with assumptions/rumors/fears etc

CBCS/Beckett - time to right this ship!

I and others here are happy to help you do so, but it has to start with you/from the top

Let's do this
Post 94 IP   flag post
Collector Wonderwomen1416 private msg quote post Address this user
I never got a dash board or an e-mail or a simple call back. I called about 100 times and carry a receipt with me just in case. Dude this is the worst feeling in the world. I went through so much trouble and income to Obtain those comics just to intrust them in the wrong hands. I’m so devastated because I trusted this company to make good.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
You're right, a lot of this could have been prevented. People should have been hired and trained to in advance of the move. However, that wasn't done and I don't know the details of why that occurred. I've mentioned before that I work remotely, I have limited information on the day to day goings on at the Dallas office. My intent is to try and provide at least some amount of information regardless of how limited it might be.


Tim thanks for the info and the efforts at CS. But if you work remotely and don't know much of the details, can you get someone on here that does know the details?
Post 96 IP   flag post
Collector Unknown private msg quote post Address this user
I actually got some grades today. Been doing this for over 10 years and have never received such low grades. I was excited at 1st.

It is what it is. Will be happy to see a completed cycle.

It is a 2 day modern that they likely received about 2 weeks ago.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Collector Excelsiorcomix private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah I got some disappointing grades. Cracked em. Got one book back with a tear, that wasnt there prior. But whatever...
Post 98 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Would be smarter if they stopped taking any submissions at all until the current books are received and in grading.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Collector fivestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsiorcomix
Yeah I got some disappointing grades. Cracked em. Got one book back with a tear, that wasnt there prior. But whatever...


I really hope that they'd fess up to damaging a comic, otherwise I'm going to need to start scanning/video taping my submissions to document condition prior to their possession. Lol (kidding/not kidding)
Post 100 IP   flag post
Collector Excelsiorcomix private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Would be smarter if they stopped taking any submissions at all until the current books are received and in grading.


Kapainmyke, that WOULD be the ideal thing to do... but that's common sense, which isn't too common these days....geez, even pgx resolved issues quicker, and responded to emails and calls...
Post 101 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsiorcomix
Got one book back with a tear, that wasnt there prior. But whatever...



Unless there are photographs to back that claim, it is unsubstantiated allegations.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector Excelsiorcomix private msg quote post Address this user
I have pics of all my books
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector Excelsiorcomix private msg quote post Address this user
Got an 8.5, although it was nm/m when I sent it. But again, whatever. I've learned my lesson with 2 of the 3 grading companies.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector Excelsiorcomix private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure the response would be that I packed it improperly, although I've been shipping comics for 20+ years, and haven't damaged one yet. LikeI said, lessons learned...the hard way.
Post 105 IP   flag post
218523 332 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.
destitute