Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPGrading Help NeededQuestions

How bad did i hurt this key FF 486704

Collector BeRealBro private msg quote post Address this user
Hi- Thanks for the help. I had this signed at Emerald City Comic Con 2017. Directly after the signing, at the CGC booth, while I was reading the grading process options, I sat this back down on top of the adhesive flap on the back of the sleeve. There is a big tear on the top of the back cover and a piece missing from me pulling it up, not knowing there was adhesive(new to comic collecting). I was so bummed I cried in front of all those people around the booth and chose not to send it in to CGC that day after all.

What would you grade it as is? And what would it of gotten if I wasn't a careless brute? Thank you!!!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRealBro
Hi- Thanks for the help. I had this signed at Emerald City Comic Con 2017. Directly after the signing, at the CGC booth, while I was reading the grading process options, I sat this back down on top of the adhesive flap on the back of the sleeve. There is a big tear on the top of the back cover and a piece missing from me pulling it up, not knowing there was adhesive(new to comic collecting). I was so bummed I cried in front of all those people around the booth and chose not to send it in to CGC that day after all.

What would you grade it as is? And what would it of gotten if I wasn't a careless brute? Thank you!!!

Don’t torture yourself asking what the grade had been has this not happend.

I would give it a 5.0 but could be a bit off.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
Dont cry over material things bro, they can always be replaced
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
That's a shame . But lesson learned .. Don't use self sealing bags for comics.. Just takes one moment of not really thinking and that adhesive strip jumps onto your book.

They require warning labels. Must be so many books out there damaged by them...
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I once took a Terri cloth to wipe away some fingerprints on a prestige cover comic, forgetting there was a Jock signature on it, how I missed it I don't know. Gone!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Sloptimusgrime private msg quote post Address this user
I've had a situation like this happen in the past with tape or adhesive hitting the cover of an older book. Definitely hits you in the gut.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
This happens more than you'd think - I had this happen to me once....never used self adhesive bags since. Now I use scotch tape instead of self sealing bags. When I go to get signatures and stuff, I take a roll of scotch tape in the backpack...I always fold the scotch tape onto the flap so there's no adhesive at all when the book is going in or out and then re-seal it with fresh tape after the signing...
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user

usually very easy to get off if there's a mishap
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith

usually very easy to get off if there's a mishap

but how long does it last before the glue wars off and yhou have to repate your comic?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I avoid scotch tape as well, religiously. There are self sticking dots or tabs that can be removed from comics without damage, should someone err.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I never used re-sealable bags. I thought they were a great idea and was planning to try them. The collection I just bought has some of them and I absolutely hate them.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
4.0-4.5
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Probably a $500.00 loss in value.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Damn, really sorry to hear that, that sucks....don't feel too bad though, tape pull has happened to a lot of collectors at one time or another. Honestly, I probably would have still submitted it though so you could have at least gotten the yellow label for Stan
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Stuff happens bro. If this is the worst thing in this hobby that happens to you, you will be lucky.

I completely bent the back cover of an Amazing Fantasy #15 by putting it back into a bag, with no tape involved. I was in a hurry to get it back into the bag before something bad happened to it. Ha Ha
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector iggykoopa30 private msg quote post Address this user
Wish you would've still gotten it slabbed, especially with Stan's signature! That sucks what happened! I use blue tape on the backs of all my bags because scotch tape can do some damage. The blue tape is at least forgiving.

Btw, I'd still give it a 5.0.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@BeRealBro not only did you lose money by damaging the book, but you lost quite a bit passing on that yellow label as well. You went from a nice book with Stan’s signature on it, to a damaged book with a scribble on the cover ( in terms of resale) 😑
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@BeRealBro take it as an expensive learning experience. You cannot change things so be positive about it and think that it could have been worse!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Wow I am new to this forum and Im very impressed with the amount of replies to this thread! Thank you ALL...It was my first comic book I bought to collect, to get Stan to sign my favorite characters First Appearance, Silver Surfer. I never noticed the self adhesive, until opening it in line for Stan's signing. Which was my first Comic Con and first signing. I learned a lot that day. I also broke a horn off of Galactus's bust I had Stan sign that day too(brittle things are not my friends obviously). But, Karma came back to me and as I was leaving the CGC/Stan Lee Collectibles area, I saw Ming Chen and got a selfie. Anddd an hour later, in line for a photo op with Robert Englund, I was in front of one of the lines, back turned and he came up behind me, put his hand on my shoulder and said in the Freddy Krueger voice "Pay Attention!".

I hear that a lot, that I should of still turned it in to get graded. But-I never knew CGC SS was the "way" to go, in terms of comic collecting. Im a long time collector of autographs, so I assumed there would be a "send-in" option where they could verify the signature(like all autograph authentication companies do). Now knowing that I also cost my self a bit of value by not getting that yellow SS Stan slab...

But honestly- Im totally ok with a 5.0 CBCS Verified Signature. Because I know its a real autograph. And It created a lasting and learning memory for me. But let me tell you all, I had a Hulk 105 with me that day, and when I heard the "crchhhhhh" of the rip, I closed my eyes and PRAYED that it was the Hulk comic and not the first Silver Surfer...
Thanks everybody!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRealBro
Wow I am new to this forum and Im very impressed with the amount of replies to this thread! Thank you ALL...It was my first comic book I bought to collect, to get Stan to sign my favorite characters First Appearance, Silver Surfer. I never noticed the self adhesive, until opening it in line for Stan's signing. Which was my first Comic Con and first signing. I learned a lot that day. I also broke a horn off of Galactus's bust I had Stan sign that day too(brittle things are not my friends obviously). But, Karma came back to me and as I was leaving the CGC/Stan Lee Collectibles area, I saw Ming Chen and got a selfie. Anddd an hour later, in line for a photo op with Robert Englund, I was in front of one of the lines, back turned and he came up behind me, put his hand on my shoulder and said in the Freddy Krueger voice "Pay Attention!".

I hear that a lot, that I should of still turned it in to get graded. But-I never knew CGC SS was the "way" to go, in terms of comic collecting. Im a long time collector of autographs, so I assumed there would be a "send-in" option where they could verify the signature(like all autograph authentication companies do). Now knowing that I also cost my self a bit of value by not getting that yellow SS Stan slab...

But honestly- Im totally ok with a 5.0 CBCS Verified Signature. Because I know its a real autograph. And It created a lasting and learning memory for me. But let me tell you all, I had a Hulk 105 with me that day, and when I heard the "crchhhhhh" of the rip, I closed my eyes and PRAYED that it was the Hulk comic and not the first Silver Surfer...
Thanks everybody!!

Welcome to the board.

I have to ask, though...

If you had opened the bag yourself, how could you have thought anything but the book you were unbagging, was being torn?
Post 20 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids I had Stan sign two comic books that day. At the CGC booth, I had both comics still out of their respective bags, I sat them both down on, in a stack on top of one of the bags. As I picked them up, I heard the rip, I didnt look down till after I closed my eyes and hoped it was the hulk book.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Thankfully it was just the back cover and not the front. Could have been much worse.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, I NEVER use resealable bags and I NEVER open a taped up bag without ALWAYS removing the tape first. I learned that lesson years ago when I ruined an old early 60's copy of Batman when the tape stuck to and ripped off part of the front cover!! HORRIFIC at the time!
Post 23 IP   flag post
598062 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?