Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

Grading: CGC vs PGX vs CBCS (YouTube video)670

CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
That's what grade screen is for. It's the easiest way to have us evaluate the books. Just put a 9.4 or 9.6 grade screen on them.

Easy, peasy.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Do you have the serial number of the book? I'll post the notes.

Steve,
How long does CBCS keep graders notes and can we access them for books we've bought at auction?

https://cbcscomics.com/grading-notes
Go there and enter the serial number for the book.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Nico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
I have cross graded a few books myself. This is an very small sampling as I've only had about 10 books cross graded overall, but most of the time the books have come back with the same grade but for these 2 exceptions: A PGX Avengers #6 graded at 9.0 came back 9.4 from CGC. Here's the real puzzler to me though, a CBCS Spider-Man #70 graded 8.0 which I thought was waaaaay under graded in the first place, I then sent to CGC and they give it a 9.4 which seemed to be more in line with the actual condition of the book. I only picked this book to send to CGC because I really felt CBCS badly missed the mark on its grade so I kind of felt vindicated it got a better grade from CCG. I think it just goes to show how subjective grading can be in some instances and as much as we want it be, it will never be an exact science.

What did the notes say on that ASM #70? (from cbcs)
Any small stain or light foxing would do that to the grade.
Cbcs is extremely Hard on those two errors.

A friend of mine had an Iron fist #14 looking near mine Come back a 7 due to "light foxing"

And I had two Iron man 55s Come back a 3 and 4 for stains. The 4 was thought to Come back Atleast a 6 by the One cleaning and pressing Them
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
I would like to think production flaws carry less weight if any in a book's grade. Books can have distributor's ink, date stamps, Marvel chipping, mis-cut or mis-aligned pages and so on. I believe to be fair, a book's grade should be in relation to how much its condition has changed from when it was first new and made available for purchase; production flaws or not.
I know in grading baseball/sports cards they take off the grade for production errors which just drive me nuts. The card can be in perfect condition, but if it's mis-cut 60/40 they slam the grade. Of course in some cases, severely mis-cut cards can command a premium.

So if All of the production is cut in half but otherwise perfect, it Should be a 10?

If you don't take away from One error, then what about the next and the next, then it goes to shipping damages from Diamond to Retailers,...
Then No deduction from hanging on the wall...

It's a slope.... Where do you See the line fir errors not coubting
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
Quote:
I have cross graded a few books myself. This is an very small sampling as I've only had about 10 books cross graded overall, but most of the time the books have come back with the same grade but for these 2 exceptions: A PGX Avengers #6 graded at 9.0 came back 9.4 from CGC. Here's the real puzzler to me though, a CBCS Spider-Man #70 graded 8.0 which I thought was waaaaay under graded in the first place, I then sent to CGC and they give it a 9.4 which seemed to be more in line with the actual condition of the book. I only picked this book to send to CGC because I really felt CBCS badly missed the mark on its grade so I kind of felt vindicated it got a better grade from CCG. I think it just goes to show how subjective grading can be in some instances and as much as we want it be, it will never be an exact science.

What did the notes say on that ASM #70? (from cbcs)
Any small stain or light foxing would do that to the grade.
Cbcs is extremely Hard on those two errors.

A friend of mine had an Iron fist #14 looking near mine Come back a 7 due to "light foxing"

And I had two Iron man 55s Come back a 3 and 4 for stains. The 4 was thought to Come back Atleast a 6 by the One cleaning and pressing Them

Here are CBCS's notes of that book:

tiny crease bottom right corner front cover barely breaks color
light wear top & bottom spine
spine stress breaks color
tiny wear top right corner front cover

Here's CGC's notes on the same book:

spine multiple bend breaks color

I no longer have this book so I don't have any images to put up and I must have erased the images I had on my computer.
In hand this book looked super, like virtually brand new. It didn't even need pressed. What got me was of all the books in that particular order, I thought this one was one of the strongest and it got the lowest grade of the bunch. As far as I could tell, it seemed to be every bit as good as other books in that order that got 9.4's and 9.6's. Most of the time I'm pretty close on the grades and it just seemed this one was an outlier compared to how close or right on I was on the other books. That's why I decided to get a second opinion from the other grading company.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Damn... Those notes make me think of 9s far more than the 8 it got :o
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Great video!! Thank you for sharing that. I was warned about PGX and CGC. CGC is over priced and pretty liberal while CBCS is more conservative (which I like). I believe CBCS give a more true evaluation.

What does "CGC is overpriced" mean? Their submission rates aren't much more than CBCS'.
I wish CBCS could get the Expanded rate down to CGC value tier they are a couple bucks more

Is CBCS' Expanded tier a minimum of 15 books too?
I've seen this mentioned a couple of times here on the forum and would like to address it. CBCS has no minimum for submitting. That goes for grade screened books as well as all other submissions. If you want to send a single book with a grade screen then by all means do so. If you have one (or a few) book(s) out of a group you're submitting you want grade screened, we'll accommodate that as well.

Also... memberships are optional, not required to submit. If you're going to submit 50+ books in a given year's time then signing up for a membership makes sense. If you're only going to submit 10 books or so in a 12 month time frame then don't spend the money on a membership.
Post 57 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
Quote:
I would like to think production flaws carry less weight if any in a book's grade. Books can have distributor's ink, date stamps, Marvel chipping, mis-cut or mis-aligned pages and so on. I believe to be fair, a book's grade should be in relation to how much its condition has changed from when it was first new and made available for purchase; production flaws or not.
I know in grading baseball/sports cards they take off the grade for production errors which just drive me nuts. The card can be in perfect condition, but if it's mis-cut 60/40 they slam the grade. Of course in some cases, severely mis-cut cards can command a premium.

So if All of the production is cut in half but otherwise perfect, it Should be a 10?

If you don't take away from One error, then what about the next and the next, then it goes to shipping damages from Diamond to Retailers,...
Then No deduction from hanging on the wall...

It's a slope.... Where do you See the line fir errors not coubting

Well, I think Steve cleared that up in his statements in a post earlier in this thread. He said:

"Yes, production defects are counted in the grade of the book.
Some production defects WAY more than others.

Some production defects...not so much."

So it looks like production defects are considered in the grade of a book, depending on what they are and how severe.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

This is a strange production flaw.I bought this as a new issue off the rack of a lcs.Did not realise the book had double pages inside a cover. years ago I sent it to CGC but they refused to grade it
Post 59 IP   flag post
So that book has two complete sets of interior pages?
Post 60 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
yes.first set can be read. but the other pages cant be read as they are still joined at the top. the cutting did not cut the other pages during production. I should have realised the book was double pages when I bought it. vut was in high school at the time skipping school to pick up my weekly books so was in a rush
Post 61 IP   flag post

This is a better picture. One set of interiors are still joined at the top. But other set was cut and the book still can be read
Since CGC refused to grade it I might submit this book to CBCS next time I get books graded and see if it can be done. just for a curio
Post 62 IP   flag post
I don't see why we wouldn't grade it.
If the story was incomplete, you probably wouldn't be happy with the grade.
Post 63 IP   flag post
story is complete. one set of pages for the book can be read. the second set of interiors cant be read to well as they are still joined at the top. I have never seen this production flaw. it must have been missed during quality control by the printers
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
If I'm not mistaken I think we had someone send a different book with the same type of production error a few months back and we graded that one.
Post 65 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Wouldn't such a rare production error make the book more valuable? Aren't there collectors who focus on such oddities? And why would CGC refuse to grade it? Did CGC think it was a fabricated book rather than a legit production error?
Post 66 IP   flag post
not sure. they just got back to my authorised CGC dealer and said they would not grade it.
looking at the book its easy to tell its not fabricated. I will have to submit it. it wont grade high. too many spine ticks
Post 67 IP   flag post
598059 67 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?