Grading: CGC vs PGX vs CBCS (YouTube video)670

Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Great video!! Thank you for sharing that. I was warned about PGX and CGC. CGC is over priced and pretty liberal while CBCS is more conservative (which I like). I believe CBCS give a more true evaluation.

What does "CGC is overpriced" mean? Their submission rates aren't much more than CBCS'.
I wish CBCS could get the Expanded rate down to CGC value tier they are a couple bucks more

Is CBCS' Expanded tier a minimum of 15 books too?
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Great video!! Thank you for sharing that. I was warned about PGX and CGC. CGC is over priced and pretty liberal while CBCS is more conservative (which I like). I believe CBCS give a more true evaluation.

What does "CGC is overpriced" mean? Their submission rates aren't much more than CBCS'.
I wish CBCS could get the Expanded rate down to CGC value tier they are a couple bucks more

Is CBCS' Expanded tier a minimum of 15 books too?
no but I wouldn't have a problem shipping five more books if it saved me a few buck on each one. With CBCS I think 10 books at a time will be my sweet spot with the return shipping rates,although 15 could be a sweet spot also if each book was a couple bucks cheaper
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I think what's happening is that production flaws, depending on what they are, may not affect a book's grade, but in the market place, affects its desirability, thus impacting any given book's value either to the negative or the positive. Take double, triple etc. covers for instance, this is a production flaw that usually makes a book in any given grade more desirable, thus usually more valuable.
Post 28 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, production defects are counted in the grade of the book.
Some production defects WAY more than others.

Some production defects...not so much.
Post 29 IP   flag post
As for the grade of the book in the video, I didn't see any pictures of the interior of the book. Many times pieces added and other restore gives the appearance of staining.

I'm not saying this book had it, because I didn't look up the grading notes. I do know that a lot of times, this prevents a restored book from getting a higher grade, although from the outside it appears to be much higher grade.

We do not give restored or conserved books a check mark grade.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts

Good to know, thanks!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:

SO when the graders notes come back online would say a production crease be in the look up notes
Post 32 IP   flag post
Do you have the serial number of the book? I'll post the notes.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Steve I don't have one that I'm worried about but say in a online auction if I look up graders notes would that be something you guys would make a note of in the graders notes
Post 34 IP   flag post
Thank you Steve for your input here. I'm just curious, what production flaws have the most impact to downgrade a book and which ones don't? Does a mis-wrap or tilted wrap affect a book's grade as certain books seem to display this problem more than others. One that comes to mind is Fantastic Four #67 from 1967. It seems a dis-proportionate number of these books have a bad wrap.
Post 35 IP   flag post
A miswrap is not going to affect the grade of an FF 67 unless it were like...severe.
And then it probably wouldn't affect it much if the book is below a 9.4.

Keep in mind that it entirely depends on the book. I'm sure there are books with miswraps so bad that they would be cause for an exception.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Steve I don't have one that I'm worried about but say in a online auction if I look up graders notes would that be something you guys would make a note of in the graders notes

We often note production flaws in grader's notes, yes.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Printer crease runs horizontal through over half the cover. Graded CGC 9.6 for Captain America #241. My understanding of that book is that it is difficult to find without the crease. I've seen a handful in stores and they all have it. I'd like to learn more on which defects are the most egregious in regards to grading.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Ebandy private msg quote post Address this user
Steve is tha man .Most helpful ....thanks
Post 39 IP   flag post
For production flaws, we will only reference them in the grader's notes...
A) If they had any factor in the final grade
Or B) if the defect is visible and we want to make sure the customer is aware that the defect was production related.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Great info. You need some :thumbsup: and :golfclap: emoticons.
Post 41 IP   flag post
👏
Post 42 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Well that sucks. @SteveRicketts I just sent an order in that has Smilin' jack #1 thru #6 from 1948 that are file copies in gorgeous condition. There were only 8 in the series. I have #7 and #8 as well.
The only reason I didn't send #7 in is because it has a production crease that runs through the cover and pages and back cover. This is a flawless book and a file copy along with the rest of the Dells I send into you guys all the time.
Going to see if I can find it in box and send a pic here and tell me what you think.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Well that sucks. @SteveRicketts I just sent an order in that has Smilin' jack #1 thru #6 from 1948 that are file copies in gorgeous condition. There were only 8 in the series. I have #7 and #8 as well.
The only reason I didn't send #7 in is because it has a production crease that runs through the cover and pages and back cover. This is a flawless book and a file copy along with the rest of the Dells I send into you guys all the time.
Going to see if I can find it in box and send a pic here and tell me what you think.

Send it and put a grade screen on it. That way if it grades lower than you want it to, it won't get encapsulated.
Post 44 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Ok so here we go. Here is number 7 and 8. You will see in the name "Jack" (blue cover) the production crease. Then a shot zoomed in and then the inside of the cover page.

Post 45 IP   flag post
Also the same crease is on the back cover. Here is the back and inside back cover of #7.
I have never seen a #7 up close or in high enough grade to determine if any other 7's look the same. The number 1 thru 6 and the 8 are flawless.

Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Steve,
How long does CBCS keep graders notes and can we access them for books we've bought at auction?
Post 47 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Steve,
How long does CBCS keep graders notes and can we access them for books we've bought at auction?

Every CBCS label has a QR code that links directly to the graders notes.
Post 48 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
You can also type the serial number into the website directly if you can't see the back of the label.
Post 49 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts is there any way I can just send these two books, 7 and 8, in and if 7 looks like the production crease won't affect grade on 7 just add it to the order number that has numbers 1 thru 6 of that series. You guys just recieved last week. I always send in 30 and didn't want to create another invoice fire just two books, as I always send in 30 at atime.
Post 50 IP   flag post
That's what grade screen is for. It's the easiest way to have us evaluate the books. Just put a 9.4 or 9.6 grade screen on them.

Easy, peasy.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Steve,

https://cbcscomics.com/grading-notes
Go there and enter the serial number for the book.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Nico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
I have cross graded a few books myself. This is an very small sampling as I've only had about 10 books cross graded overall, but most of the time the books have come back with the same grade but for these 2 exceptions: A PGX Avengers #6 graded at 9.0 came back 9.4 from CGC. Here's the real puzzler to me though, a CBCS Spider-Man #70 graded 8.0 which I thought was waaaaay under graded in the first place, I then sent to CGC and they give it a 9.4 which seemed to be more in line with the actual condition of the book. I only picked this book to send to CGC because I really felt CBCS badly missed the mark on its grade so I kind of felt vindicated it got a better grade from CCG. I think it just goes to show how subjective grading can be in some instances and as much as we want it be, it will never be an exact science.

What did the notes say on that ASM #70? (from cbcs)
Any small stain or light foxing would do that to the grade.
Cbcs is extremely Hard on those two errors.

A friend of mine had an Iron fist #14 looking near mine Come back a 7 due to "light foxing"

And I had two Iron man 55s Come back a 3 and 4 for stains. The 4 was thought to Come back Atleast a 6 by the One cleaning and pressing Them
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Nico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I would like to think production flaws carry less weight if any in a book's grade. Books can have distributor's ink, date stamps, Marvel chipping, mis-cut or mis-aligned pages and so on. I believe to be fair, a book's grade should be in relation to how much its condition has changed from when it was first new and made available for purchase; production flaws or not.
I know in grading baseball/sports cards they take off the grade for production errors which just drive me nuts. The card can be in perfect condition, but if it's mis-cut 60/40 they slam the grade. Of course in some cases, severely mis-cut cards can command a premium.

So if All of the production is cut in half but otherwise perfect, it Should be a 10?

If you don't take away from One error, then what about the next and the next, then it goes to shipping damages from Diamond to Retailers,...
Then No deduction from hanging on the wall...

It's a slope.... Where do you See the line fir errors not coubting
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
Quote:
I have cross graded a few books myself. This is an very small sampling as I've only had about 10 books cross graded overall, but most of the time the books have come back with the same grade but for these 2 exceptions: A PGX Avengers #6 graded at 9.0 came back 9.4 from CGC. Here's the real puzzler to me though, a CBCS Spider-Man #70 graded 8.0 which I thought was waaaaay under graded in the first place, I then sent to CGC and they give it a 9.4 which seemed to be more in line with the actual condition of the book. I only picked this book to send to CGC because I really felt CBCS badly missed the mark on its grade so I kind of felt vindicated it got a better grade from CCG. I think it just goes to show how subjective grading can be in some instances and as much as we want it be, it will never be an exact science.

What did the notes say on that ASM #70? (from cbcs)
Any small stain or light foxing would do that to the grade.
Cbcs is extremely Hard on those two errors.

A friend of mine had an Iron fist #14 looking near mine Come back a 7 due to "light foxing"

And I had two Iron man 55s Come back a 3 and 4 for stains. The 4 was thought to Come back Atleast a 6 by the One cleaning and pressing Them

Here are CBCS's notes of that book:

tiny crease bottom right corner front cover barely breaks color
light wear top & bottom spine
spine stress breaks color
tiny wear top right corner front cover

Here's CGC's notes on the same book:

spine multiple bend breaks color

I no longer have this book so I don't have any images to put up and I must have erased the images I had on my computer.
In hand this book looked super, like virtually brand new. It didn't even need pressed. What got me was of all the books in that particular order, I thought this one was one of the strongest and it got the lowest grade of the bunch. As far as I could tell, it seemed to be every bit as good as other books in that order that got 9.4's and 9.6's. Most of the time I'm pretty close on the grades and it just seemed this one was an outlier compared to how close or right on I was on the other books. That's why I decided to get a second opinion from the other grading company.
Post 55 IP   flag post
615425 67 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?