Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

Favorite GA Artists67

Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusterMark
There are WAY too many amazing GA artists to even begin to narrow it down ...

EC artists don't count, since EC Comics aren't golden age. That'll help you narrow it down.

If, like most collectors, you define the GA as 1938-1955, then they fall precisely in there. If you use the Atomic Age, they still fall into the period before the start of the SA
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
If, like most collectors, you define the GA as 1938-1955, then they fall precisely in there.

That's not true. Only Noobs think the Golden Age lasted until 1955.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Only Noobs think the Golden Age lasted until 1955.

I think the Golden Age of comics died after the war.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Quote:

Actually I don't agree with the cut-off of 1945 that Overstreet uses either. Even though it's 1945 for most collectors, I consider the end 1950, with the rise of EC.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Bill Benulis and Jack Abel

Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
If, like most collectors, you define the GA as 1938-1955, then they fall precisely in there.

That's not true. Only Noobs think the Golden Age lasted until 1955.

Only Newbs think they have a lock on when the GA ended. I prefer 1947 but will readily admit there is no definitive answer.

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/152/page/1/the-start-of-the-atom-age/#1
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

EC artists don't count, since EC Comics aren't golden age. That'll help you narrow it down.

If, like most collectors, you define the GA as 1938-1955, then they fall precisely in there. If you use the Atomic Age, they still fall into the period before the start of the SA

A flaw here is it sounds like "EC artists" never drew comics until they started working for EC.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovRow
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A flaw here is it sounds like "EC artists" never drew comics until they started working for EC.

+1

I thought this was about Golden Age artists!
Post 33 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone mentioned Bill Ward (Torchy), Mac Raboy (Master Comics and Captain Marvel Jr.), or Dan Zolnerowich (Ranger Comics and Kaanga)?

PS - Unfortunately, I do not own these books, so I "borrowed" the images from the web. Hey, Catman, from what I have seen of your impressive collection, could you post a few works of these guys for me and the rest of us "Oldies but Goodies?"
Post 34 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Quote:

Collectors have a wide range of views on this. As I see it, the GA started in 1938 and lasted until the last patriotically themed costumed heroes were decommissioned around 1949. But there are examples of costumed heroes closely identified with WWII, such as Wonder Woman & Blackhawk, whose tour of duty extended well beyond that.

There is an overlap of the GA with the Atomic Age which is usually considered starting around '46. The Atomic Age radiates from the atomic bomb bringing an end to WWII. Interest in all things nuclear mushroomed after that extending it's blast radius well into early SA (I'll duck and cover now).

Pre-code was a relatively short lived period overlapped completely by the Atomic Age dominated by horror (my viewpoint, OMMV). Some fans drool over the idea of pre-code cutting deep into the market in 1950 with EC, Atlas, et al., having arisen from the grave of early crime comics which peaked in the late 40's. In any case, pre-code was cruelly decapitated by the CCA in '55.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
started collecting in 80s.Back then it was believed the golden age started with Action 1. And finished at the end of world war 2. Atom age started and ran till showcase 4 the superhero revival which ushered in the silver age. Then changed to Bronze age with the new 15c cover price and finished late 70s. 80s is when copper age started and im not sure when that finished. maybe the end was the gimmick covers and selling one million plus issue ones of spiderman and new x-men ?
Post 36 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
as for favorite GA artists. I like the Sub-mariner character and his creator Bill Everett drew a great underwater action.
As for cover artists. Cant go passed Alex Schromburg. He was the Alex Ross of the 40s.
if you were a publisher and wanted to stand out on the newsagent comic book rack from the other books. You had him draw up a action filled cover.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Schomburg and Everett are my two faves. Guardineer and Fessel rank up there, too.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector 1952MB private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntfeedthemnkys

my favorite GA artist and Master GGA artist.

any one in this boards owns Baker OA????
Post 39 IP   flag post
597883 39 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?