Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Another Comic Bubble Thread6690

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
We have had a couple threads over the past few years regarding the 90s crash and today’s market. A little while ago (some time last year) I made a thread (it’s since been archived) asking what your thoughts are on today’s market and if we’d see a crash or something akin to what we got in the 90s.

Well, I finally got finished with what I was working on and it went live today. I was working on so many other things that I had back-Burnered this video for a while. I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on this although a good group of you commented on the last thread with great insight and perspective so thank you!

Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Lots of posts on the other guy's forum about bubbles or moderns / variants being trash yet the prices keep going up.

With all the TV show and movie announcements the gold rush continues.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting listen to a complicated issue. Will the modern monopolies like Disney and Diamond with their deeper pockets be able to stifle their greed and not kill or wound the golden goose a 2nd time?
I prefer to stay in the safe zone of Golden, Silver and original art and am confident that older classics will ride out the next corporate driven downturn better than most investments.
Moderns, who knows? But some of those covers are very cool.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks @doog!
Gold, Silver and OA are definitely a great place to be, smart play
Post 4 IP   flag post
For reference, here are the threads that I was referring to in my OP:

Bubble Threads
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
There are so few books printed these days.. Most comics do less than 50k a month... Hard to see this as a bubble imo..

And with moderns some of the really cool covers are only issued as 3000 or 1000 books etc... Not like the 'collectors editions' of the nineties that sold a million copies of each variant
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Lower print runs are one thing, but there has to be a demand for the books in order for there to be a value increase.
Post 7 IP   flag post
yup - supply/demand
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@JLS_Comics Good video.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Lower print runs are one thing, but there has to be a demand for the books in order for there to be a value increase.
sure.. And movies etc are increasing demand and affecting prices now. But they are also increasing exposure of all these famous characters to a new generation (plus new characters too)

Most of us know the power of nostalgia combined with the ability to finally be able to pay for what you want. In 20 years time it's not hard to believe today's moderns, especially sought after key variants, are going to be hard to find and quite alluring for some collectors.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Unknown private msg quote post Address this user
The vast majority of money currently in the system is due to the green pastures of comics and the decreasing numbers of viable options. The current rate of growth is obviously unsustainable. Which issues will survive and which will not is anyone’s guess but if you believe this market will maintain its current level and growth then I got a bunch of stuff to sell you.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
sure.. And movies etc are increasing demand and affecting prices now. But they are also increasing exposure of all these famous characters to a new generation (plus new characters too)

Most of us know the power of nostalgia combined with the ability to finally be able to pay for what you want. In 20 years time it's not hard to believe today's moderns, especially sought after key variants, are going to be hard to find and quite alluring for some collectors.

It will be very interesting indeed to see what the hobby will look like in 20 years. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Some have talked about the popularity of comic book movies fading. What about the people growing up now? When the movie "fad" fades, won't they experience nostalgia for the films they grew up with (just like Im sure most of us do now)? That nostalgia will drive collecting at that time in whatever form it looks like then.

I am of the opinion that, at this point, only an economic depression will crush the state of collecting. That said, if you watched the video in the OP, I do say that the hobby today is far from healthy. There is vast room for growth and opportunity on multiple fronts. I am sure a downturn and/or a market correction is on the way because, as @unknown said, the current rate of growth is unsustainable.

But a crash? no way.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Newer generations are addicted to tablets and phones. Why would you want a room full of collectibles when you can get anything you want online? Comics are so grossly "tangible". Ewww!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
There is a video, JLS? All on my screen in first posting is a huge blank spot
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
There is a video, JLS? All on my screen in first posting is a huge blank spot

There was! I believe the forum is experiencing an issue with flash. It happened on another thread today as well

Here is a link to it:
Comic Market Crash

I am doing one soon on newsstand/direct market soon that I think youlll like
Post 15 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Video link fixed!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
To remain viable collectibles require sufficient rarity to elicit interest and competition. In the end, the appreciation of any collectible is dependent upon supply and demand. Without it, no collector's market is sustainable.

From the earliest days of comic publishing to about 1965, the public's interest in comic books was marginal at best. Without rehashing the history of comics from 1938 through the eventual decline of the industry at the hands of reformers in the mid-50's, let's just say that until the advent of fandom comics were generally considered disposable entertainment. Marvel's SA changed all that by making the collecting of comics cool.

Another way of looking at it is that there are limited quantities of surviving books from the Gold and early Silver Age. From '65 on, ...with the growth of comic fandom and increasing interest in hunting back issues... collecting & preservation of comics grew into a mainstream culture. First, as a fannish pasttime, then as a speculator's sport for adults with investment cash.

What I'm getting at is that in order to discuss comic collecting in a clear eyed manner we can't assume that "comics" are a single market, but rather multiple cross generational markets with different risk factors and rewards. When a large number of speculating collectors warehouse long boxes full of duplicate copies and variants hoping for a big score or retirement fund, they're contributing to a Ponzi scheme of their own making. Risk bubbles are nothing more than a holding pattern for market dumping.

Where a known quantity of books exist and demand remains constant or exceeds supply, there are fewer risks of a crash. In my estimation, the risks associated with collecting abundently available books that everyone is speculating on is far greater. It doesn't take much to impact a market that's top heavy. Just a few fans dropping out and trying to sell or auction off their modern collections could potentially force a market downturn.

I'm not predicting gloom & doom for any sector of the market, but a wise collector is also a realist. Those buying moderns and variants as speculation for some sort of future windfall may find themselves tilting at windmills like Don Quixote. Folks should continue enjoying modern comics and collecting their favorites. My caution is to hold firmly to a realistic perspective on the limitations of that market.

Collectors will continue to collect even if some or most refocus their interests on other areas of the market. As for the GA, pre-code and early SA side of the hobby, collectibles of prior generations will continue to have that special "drool-factor" that inspires desire for ownership of the rare and/or unique. IOW, a music collector needn't have grown up with the Beatles or even collect LPs to admire and appreciate the value of a first state Butcher cover.

Post 17 IP   flag post
@BLBComics Here is the direct market video I was talking about. The next one is about corner and UPC code boxes

Post 18 IP   flag post
598060 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?