Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleQuestions

No Luck Selling Comics Looking For Feedback.6686

Collector Wizardrex private msg quote post Address this user
I placed 41 comics on ComicLink's exchange about a month ago and have had no luck selling any of the comics. I've received about 6 bids combined across all the comics I have for sale. Here are the comics along with the prices.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #238, CBCS 9.0 VFNM $160
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #239, CBCS 9.6 NM+ $60
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #252, CBCS 8.5 VF+ $85
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #265, CBCS 9.4 NM $70
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #298, CBCS 9.2 NM- $75
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #299, CBCS 9.8 NM/MT $250
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #300, CBCS 9.4 NM $525
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #301, CBCS 9.2 NM- $60
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #316, CBCS 9.8 NM/MT $300
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #344, CBCS 9.8 NM/MT $200
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #361, CBCS 9.0 VFNM $100
AVENGERS #57, CBCS 7.5 VF- $350
AVENGERS ANNUAL #10, CBCS 9.2 NM- $75
BATMAN #612, CBCS 9.8 NM/MT $90
BATMAN #635, CBCS 9.6 NM+ $110
BATMAN: HARLEY QUINN #1, CBCS 9.0 VFNM $90
BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS #1, CBCS 9.4 NM $180
BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS #2, CBCS 9.6 NM+ $90
BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS #4, CBCS 9.6 NM+ $55
BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE #1, CBCS 9.8 NM/MT $170
DAREDEVIL #158, CBCS 8.5 VF+ $70
DAREDEVIL #168, CBCS 6.0 FN $85
DC COMICS PRESENTS #26, CBCS 8.5 VF+ $140
INCREDIBLE HULK #449, CBCS 9.6 NM+ $70
JOHN BYRNE'S NEXT MEN #21, CBCS 9.6 NM+ $160
NEW MUTANTS #87, CBCS 7.5 VF- $110
NEW MUTANTS #98, CBCS 9.6 NM+ $400
NEW TEEN TITANS #2, CBCS 9.2 NM- $220
NYX #3, CBCS 9.8 NM/MT $825
PREACHER #1, CBCS 9.0 VFNM $90
SANDMAN #1, CBCS 9.6 NM+ $130
TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS #44, CBCS 9.2 NM- $75
TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS #44, CBCS 9.6 NM+ $120
UNCANNY X-MEN #141, CBCS 9.8 NM/MT $350
UNCANNY X-MEN #142, CBCS 9.4 NM $80
UNCANNY X-MEN #266, CBCS 9.0 VFNM $110
WOLVERINE #1, CBCS 9.8 NM/MT $200
X-MEN #1, CBCS 9.8 NM/MT $55
X-MEN #121, CBCS 9.8 NM/MT $400
X-MEN #129, CBCS 8.0 VF $100
X-MEN #137, CBCS 9.6 NM+ $110

I got these prices from Go Collect as a reference point which averages prices from eBay sold items. I am looking for feedback on why these may not be selling. Also I'd like other experiences from people that have sold their items on these websites for additional insight into this market.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Your prices may be a little too high.

I started out consigning books to Comic Connect before selling on ebay.

Usually it seems to me that the books go a little faster on ebay.

Also, there are only so many collectors looking to pay retail. Lots of people want to get the books for less so they can flip them. Even using GPA for pricing the books only sell so fast.

I wouldn't do anything as crazy as switching to an auction but every couple months you may want to cut the prices a little until the books sell.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Wizardrex prices are little high but I will probably make a few bids.

Note CL charges like $30 for shipping of 1 or 4 slabs so personally I only sell high-end stuff on CL
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Wizardrex I have bid for a few of your books with what I feel are fair offers. Just doubled the number of bids you have received

Just PM me if any questions
Post 4 IP   flag post
I guess I'm confused. Go Collect data is derived from actual sales on eBay. These comic book auction houses state a seller will net more on their website than eBay. If I receive a bid at 80% or even 90% of prices sold on eBay I will net less taking out the selling fee. Not to mention I have to pay to ship to ComicLink further reducing what I actually net from the sales.

@poka I appreciate the bids. As of now I am steering more towards pulling the books altogether and re-posting around the holidays. In addition no matter where you buy comics from the shipping would be quite high as I would think that insurance would be added to such a purchase which greatly increases the price of the package.

"prices are too high" fair enough, is there another website other than Go Collect that someone...anyone can reference for a price point?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Marximus private msg quote post Address this user
GoCollect's data is largely extrapolated from sales of CGC slabs. Also, the FMV is an estimate, and doesn't always indicate recent trends.

A. Your slabs are CBCS, which some perceive as less desire-able. (I don't know why)

B. Folks are looking to 'get a deal'. Not pay full retail. If you want full retail+, be prepared to wait. If you want to sell fast, price your books 10-20% off FMV.

One month on the market isn't very long, IMO. The books you are selling? There's a lot of those out there. Be patient.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardrex
I guess I'm confused. Go Collect data is derived from actual sales on eBay. These comic book auction houses state a seller will net more on their website than eBay. If I receive a bid at 80% or even 90% of prices sold on eBay I will net less taking out the selling fee. Not to mention I have to pay to ship to ComicLink further reducing what I actually net from the sales.

@poka I appreciate the bids. As of now I am steering more towards pulling the books altogether and re-posting around the holidays. In addition no matter where you buy comics from the shipping would be quite high as I would think that insurance would be added to such a purchase which greatly increases the price of the package.

"prices are too high" fair enough, is there another website other than Go Collect that someone...anyone can reference for a price point?

@Wizardrex - very simple - if your books don't sell = prices are too high. Anyway - hope you manage to sell your books at the prices you are looking for
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Take your listings off of ComicLink and list them on here. If they don't sell here, then move them to eBay.

I would actually be interested in some of them, but I am not going to pay ComicLink's shipping charges. Plus, I prefer to not deal with a middleman.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Did you look to see what competition you have on comic link or eBay? Maybe they're not selling because there are cheaper options.

I agree with @Marximus and @DrWatson . I'm not paying the same price for your books as I can get on eBay. I can get 15% off with coupons and possibly free shipping....so I see CL as costing me $20 more on average that what I'd get on eBay. Plus they put an annoying sticker on their slabs that difficult to remove.

I recommend Go back and look at CL and recent eBay sales and let us know what you think. Basically don't rely on one set of data. Actual sales is key.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes books take a little time to sell. I wouldn't sweat it if they haven't sold in a month.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
The conclusion I can draw off of this thread is that CBCS copper keys absolutely do not sell at go collects value on Comic Link's exchange.
Post 11 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
ComicLink really isn't the place for sit & sell books.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
You are asking top or near top dollar. Doing that on comiclink is not the way to go with fairly common collectable books.

Like poka and maybe others already stated. If they ain't sellin', you are asking too much, for a comiclink offering.

Perhaps those prices might work here, with a little negotiating on those prices due to not having to pay any fees to a middle man like comiclink or Ebay.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Prices are too high.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Wizardrex - I just checked one out that I was interested in. Congratulations, it looks like it sold for $10 over your asking price.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
I feel that a lot not all but a lot are over priced. Even a 9.8 Xmen 121 isn't a #400USD book. Maybe 120 but not 121. You are trying to get top retai price for some of these books.

Have to remember the cost that goes along with getting a book graded.

Can somebody get a NM or close to book raw and pay to have it graded for much cheaper? That's also a factor. There are a few I'd be interested in but I could buy the book and get it graded for half as much.

Also gotta see what margins your trying to get. If you paid 400$ for a book and your just trying to get your money back i see that but if you paid say 150$ for the book and your asking 400$ you may just want to ask a bit less to move them.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I appreciate the feedback as well as PM's. I went ahead and pulled the books off of ComicLink. I'm a data (numbers) driven person. So I'm going to hold off until I get enough data to reassess selling these books.

General Question : Where do you prefer to buy comics from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
Prices are too high.

How so? data source? where have they sold for less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Wizardrex - I just checked one out that I was interested in. Congratulations, it looks like it sold for $10 over your asking price.

I pulled all my comics down pending further data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
ComicLink really isn't the place for sit & sell books.

I'm open to suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Did you look to see what competition you have on comic link or eBay? Maybe they're not selling because there are cheaper options.

I agree with @Marximus and @DrWatson . I'm not paying the same price for your books as I can get on eBay. I can get 15% off with coupons and possibly free shipping....so I see CL as costing me $20 more on average that what I'd get on eBay. Plus they put an annoying sticker on their slabs that difficult to remove.

I recommend Go back and look at CL and recent eBay sales and let us know what you think. Basically don't rely on one set of data. Actual sales is key.

Unless I'm mistaken Go Collect data is just that, Sold eBay prices averaged out over the past 25 sales. So their FMV is essentially an average of these sales. At the very least it should be an alpha taking into consideration any price deviations either above or below.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback as well as PM's. I went ahead and pulled the books off of ComicLink. I'm a data (numbers) driven person. So I'm going to hold off until I get enough data to reassess selling these books.

Quote:
Prices are too high.

It is very simple as stated before. If you are looking for a sale now then the prices are too high or they would sell. Does not matter what price reference exists. If you are willing to wait - some of the books will probably sell eventually.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’m interested in your Spidey 239 if you’ll do $50 Direct through PayPal. Shoot me a PM.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Quote:
Prices are too high.

It is very simple as stated before. If you are looking for a sale now then the prices are too high to they would sell. Does not matter what price reference exists. If you are willing to wait - some of the books will probably sell eventually.

Exactly what he said
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Prices are too high.

It is very simple as stated before. If you are looking for a sale now then the prices are too high to they would sell. Does not matter what price reference exists. If you are willing to wait - some of the books will probably sell eventually.

I don't see any books that are priced too high to sell, on eBay.

ComicLink, however, is waaaaay different than eBay on copper/moderns ...especially lower dollar slab, like the OP had listed.

I'd argue that his prices don't need to be dropped, if listed on eBay via BIN.

CL doesn't get the copper audience that eBay does....add in a $30 minimum shipping charge at CL, and that explains why none have sold.

I'd suggest that the OP offers 10% off the above prices with US shipping at $10 flat, on here.

Run that for 3 days, than pop them all on eBay at fixed BIN's, full sticker.

Domestic shipping at $10 flat.

Have the shipping discount/incentive set to give a $5 discount on each additional slab.

Most sellers charge $10 for the 1st slab, than $2 per add'l slab.

Set international shipping at cost, with a 16 ounce deduction for each additional item and $5 off each additional item.

He'll get Canadian and UK buyers right off the bat, most sellers kill international buyers on shipping.

What I wouldn't do is run a blowout on this board.

10% off is fine, though.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine

Can somebody get a NM or close to book raw and pay to have it graded for much cheaper? That's also a factor.

This is precisely why I have never purchased a slabbed comic post (roughly) mid 80s and never will. Why spend 100s of dollars more for a book when with a decent eye one can get within 0.2.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Prices are too high.

I don't see any books that are priced too high to sell, on eBay.

ComicLink, however, is waaaaay different than eBay on copper/moderns ...especially lower dollar slab, like the OP had listed.

I'd argue that his prices don't need to be dropped, if listed on eBay via BIN.

CL doesn't get the copper audience that eBay does....add in a $30 minimum shipping charge at CL, and that explains why none have sold.

I'd suggest that the OP offers 10% off the above prices with US shipping at $10 flat, on here.

Run that for 3 days, than pop them all on eBay at fixed BIN's, full sticker.

Domestic shipping at $10 flat.

Have the shipping discount/incentive set to give a $5 discount on each additional slab.

Most sellers charge $10 for the 1st slab, than $2 per add'l slab.

Set international shipping at cost, with a 16 ounce deduction for each additional item and $5 off each additional item.

He'll get Canadian and UK buyers right off the bat, most sellers kill international buyers on shipping.

What I wouldn't do is run a blowout on this board.

10% off is fine, though.

Thank You!

This is the kind of response I was looking for.
Post 23 IP   flag post
598060 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?