Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleComics Modern AgeFor SaleQuestions

Shipping/Mailing Slabs from US of A to Canada?6670

Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone do it often?

What do you suggest?

I am thinking USPS International Priority, but its' a whooping 47 some dollars.

Anyone know or that could quickly walk me through the process + customs paperwork?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel85301
Anyone do it often?

What do you suggest?

I am thinking USPS International Priority, but its' a whooping 47 some dollars.

Anyone know or that could quickly walk me through the process + customs paperwork?

About 2 out of 15 of my buyers are located in Canada or the UK.More in Canada.

Higher value slabs/raws, should be shipped USPS Insured Priority.

Lower value slabs/raws should be shipped USPS 1st Class International Air.

I would only ship via 1st class international air if I trusted the buyer, as well.

I have shipped about 15 boxed to Canada, over the past year thru eBay.

Highest was in the low $300'a (2 slabs), lowest was 2 raws at about $75.

There is nothing to walk you through, that is different from a domestic shipment.

eBay prints out the customs form, it is part of the mailing label that you buy from eBay.

Just pack well,but it really is the same as any domestic order, of equal vslue.

Online tracking is included, same as a domestic shipment.

1st class air is about $25-35 I'd guess offhand, for a slab or 2 for me. (NJ to Canada).

Mskes sense to keep costs down for buyers, they will spend more if shipping can be cheaper, without any sacrifice in packaging/security.

Just like anyone else you sell to though, you should always vet your buyer first.

Check these two lists:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/328716-ebay-blocked-user-list/

Copy/paste all of those user ID's to prevent d-bags from bidding on your books, as well.

Only other thing is to check his feedback not only as a buyer and/or seller, but his feedback left for others.

If you posts a lot of complaints, or anything looks odd like a lot of bidding retractions, revised feedback etc....cancel the sale and refund him.

This is all stuff you should do for domestic buyers, as well....not really any different for Canadians.

Wether it is a $20 book or a $800 book, always vet your buyer.
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I don't do it. It's a super pain in the ass, eh.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I use eBay international shipping program. That way it's all calculated for the buyer. But you need to provide accurate shipping information (size & weight) so the buyer gets a good estimate from eBay...otherwise I think you can hose them, like a hoser.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
..otherwise I think you can hose them, like a hoser.

lol!!!!!! harious!!!!! 😂
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I don't do it. It's a super pain in the ass, eh.

How it it a PITA?

eBay calculates everything, at least , if you set it up ptoperly.

Literally all I do put the label on the box... tape it up & ship.

For international buyers,I put down the "weights", which is a guess on my part, from experience.

I have shipping pre-selected to be charged at actual weight, and shipping discount on 2+ items is set to subtract 16 ounces per additional item.

With my eBay postage discount, I break even after a box etc is accounted for.

I put the weight of a slab at 2 pounds,6 ounces; which is what a boxed up slab weighs.

Single books I put down at 16 ounces per book...how I pack raws, it works out fine.

Really, there is no difference between domestic and shipping a package anywhere in the world,....you just have to have it all preset.

Just like fomestic shipping.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Depending how close you are to a border you could get a US mail service - really cuts down on shipping charges.
Only been pulled over once recently for a $270 purchase but you only have to pay the GST on the converted USD to CAD amount so for me was $17 - still way cheaper than shipping to Canada (also lets me buy things from sellers who only ship to the US).

Gonna see how the next month or two plays out...I may no longer be making US purchases
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
I wasn't selling something on eBay. I am trying to avoid eBay on all measures because of the cut both eBay and PayPal both take. I'd rather cut one of them out, eBay of coarse. I mostly sell items on Facebook comic sales groups. I only ship USPS within the US but more lately I have had Canada buyers ask me why I won't ship there.

I wanted to research it out that options when doing so.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Archie10cent private msg quote post Address this user
@Gabriel85301, I agree with you on the cuts that PayPal and eBay takes from each auction after final bid ended. Super pain in there, to the point I stopped selling regularly years ago in there.
I still have my seller account... just never used.

Been thinking to try out on Facebook groups but unsure how it works with so many invoices thru PayPal sent on books I sell?

BTW, I do have my U.S. shipping account over the border to receive parcels for pickup when I need go buy cheap gas there. Much cheaper than pay customs if sellers use with UPS or FedEx.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel85301
I wasn't selling something on eBay. I am trying to avoid eBay on all measures because of the cut both eBay and PayPal both take. I'd rather cut one of them out, eBay of coarse. I mostly sell items on Facebook comic sales groups. I only ship USPS within the US but more lately I have had Canada buyers ask me why I won't ship there.

I wanted to research it out that options when doing so.

I'd rather pay 10% and sell a book for generally more on eBay, than sell for less on Facebook.

I buy from Facebook groups/auctions, I can't see how selling on Facebook groups pays.

I do know a couple of dealers who sell cheesy copper/modern hot books on Facebook, for more than the book sells for on eBay.

They don't run auctions, they just have dedicated followers who overpay, not knowing any better.

I could sell like that, but it'd take more time and effort than I'm willing to put in to selling over priced hot books.

Unless you have the following on Facebook, the 10% vig to eBay pays for itself, easily.

As far as shipping slabs internationally, in your situation, I'd only ship via USPS International Priority, with insurance.
Post 10 IP   flag post
601311 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?