Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Toys

Newsstand: Trend, or here to stay?6652

Collector robo_beardo private msg quote post Address this user
I seem to remember that not too long ago the whole newsstand vs direct market thing... wasn’t. I understand the argument that it’s “harder to find a good condition newsstand copy” but, how much rarer does that actually make the book? And I also understand that the market is dictated by what people will spend, but this is one thing I just don’t get. Am I missing something else that has created what feels like a recent fervor surrounding newsstand copies?
Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Here to stay. Getting an off the rack or newsstand copy in NM condition is harder to do as a book has passed through many more hands. Very niche thing, but still...
Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
here to stay.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Sloptimusgrime private msg quote post Address this user
I believe here to stay as well, although when making purchases for myself I don't always necessarily need to have a newstand copy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Staying Alive!
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo_beardo
I seem to remember that not too long ago the whole newsstand vs direct market thing... wasn’t

Except that it...was! You just hadnt heard about it. I’ve been collecting newsstand since the 90s, with a few years hiatus here and there. It’s nothing new, but is now catching on a lot more.

Man Of Steel #19 was my first hunt in the early 90s, just a few months after it had come out it was very difficult to find a newsstand of it in great condition. I’ll always remember the random find at a Dowe’s Drug on consignment for $12. That was a lot of loot for a new non-key book back then even with all the hype.

Short answer is yes, collecting newsstands is here to stay. Comic collectors like rare things, and high grade newsstands are rare 🍺
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo_beardo
I seem to remember that not too long ago the whole newsstand vs direct market thing... wasn’t

Except that it...was! You just hadnt heard about it. I’ve been collecting newsstand since the 90s, with a few years hiatus here and there. It’s nothing new, but is now catching on a lot more.

Man Of Steel #19 was my first hunt in the early 90s, just a few months after it had come out it was very difficult to find a newsstand of it in great condition. I’ll always remember the random find at a Dowe’s Drug on consignment for $12. That was a lot of loot for a new non-key book back then even with all the hype.

Short answer is yes, collecting newsstands is here to stay. Comic collectors like rare things, and high grade newsstands are rare 🍺

Love that cover! I enjoyed the whole storyline.
Post 7 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
It’s here to stay. I unwittingly collected newsstand books as a teen in the 90’s (no nearby comic shop) then got back into collecting 2016. I learned newsstand books were 3 years dead from Marvel and then started buying DC newsstands at B&N and BAM 2017. It started as a nostalgia thing for me that has evolved into a rare book search consisting mostly of 2011-13 Marvel newsstands, as they seem hardest to find.
Nowadays the only superhero newsstand books I can find are Alterna and they’re only $1.50, so that’s cool. Still getting my nostalgic fix.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Here to stay. Personally, I don't go out of my way for newsstand copies unless it's the nicer of two books at an identical grade and price. The stores around here don't draw a distinction on newsstand vs direct either, apart from Spawn #1 newsstand, so there isn't an outrageous premium to pay if there are newsstand copies in the back issue bins. But, I definitely have my share of newsstand books from before I acquired a license and had to walk or ride my bike to the drug store or grocery store and hope they had what I was looking for.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Here to stay. A few months ago, my older son did a statistics project sampling 40 books with Newstand / direct edition books with 10 confirmed sales of each type (800 books total). The titles and issues were selected at random. On the sampled books, his results were newstands were selling for just over 19% more on avergage than direct edition books. He sampled 100 collectors (online, in person at cons and LCS). 70% of collectors said that if books were identical (condition, page quality, presentation, etc.) they believe newstands were more valuable. 65% said that for identical books, they would rather have the newstand. Made him wonder why 5% would rather have the Direct edition, so he followed up with some of those collectors and the most popular answer is they don't like the barcode.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Like @Joosh I do it for nostalgia. My parents were in the military and I used to live abroad as a kid, the only place I could get comics was at the PX or base bookstore.

Now, for me anyway, newsstands just add another constraint in collecting, especially for moderns. The challenge of finding a high grade modern newsstand adds to the fun of collecting.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Many people believe Newstand copies are a legit differentiation to Direct Market and because of this its here to stay.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector brandon77 private msg quote post Address this user
In my collecting heyday (mid 80s) it was way cooler to get a direct market copy with the spidey head or whatever instead of that ugly UPC code. You know what else was cool? Betamax.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Betamax was superior to VHS. The barcodes are still fugly, yet I still buy them from time to time.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector brandon77 private msg quote post Address this user
oh I know, we were so proud of our Sony Super Betamax!
Post 16 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Betamax was superior to VHS. The barcodes are still fugly, yet I still buy them from time to time.

To be fair, the newer books all have barcodes.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Newsstands are here to stay.

Trade me all of your 1979-80 Direct Editions for my 1979-80 Newsstands.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
You all already know my opinion on this subject.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
There’s a fair amount of collectors who don’t care if a book is Direct or Newsstand. But the Newsstand collectors will definitely keep that market alive.

For me, grade & Paper quality are my first concerns if I’m in the market for a given book. But if it’s a book from the 90’s or later, that barcode is a serious bonus I’ll pay a little extra for. I won’t pay double or anything, but maybe 10% more?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck

Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hilarious!!!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
lol. Newsstand market is here to stay but you have to understand that it is really just a segment of newsstand books that people actually care about. There are lots of newsstand books across many publishers but it is really only Marvel and DC books that people care about. I would also say that it is a relatively small population of collectors that actually care and really only if the newsstand variant has a different value to it. So as with many market trends these days you kinda have to do some investigation to understand that it is not across the board that a "trend" appears.

Collectors are anything but consistent ... except on being inconsistent.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
As time passes on... more will jump on this wagon. Trust me.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Here to stay. Not really a question. The question is whether or how soon it will gain widespread acceptance/popularity. And will it become something most collectors will want to have. Those are harder to answer.
Post 25 IP   flag post
My take on the “why” is along the lines of what @Hcanes said; that there are a lot of folks from the 90s getting back into collecting, but most of the nostalgic items are common as dirt. Where’s the fun in that? Enter newsstand. Now the game is on.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Trend
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Trend

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Just because you guys like newsstand doesn’t mean collectors as a whole care about it. If it lowers the price of direct editions so I can buy them for less, great!
Post 29 IP   flag post
It makes drek more interesting.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601366 44 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?