Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Toys

Newsstand: Trend, or here to stay?6652

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
My take on the “why” is along the lines of what @Hcanes said; that there are a lot of folks from the 90s getting back into collecting, but most of the nostalgic items are common as dirt. Where’s the fun in that? Enter newsstand. Now the game is on.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Trend
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Trend

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Just because you guys like newsstand doesn’t mean collectors as a whole care about it. If it lowers the price of direct editions so I can buy them for less, great!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
It makes drek more interesting.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Just because you guys like newsstand doesn’t mean collectors as a whole care about it. If it lowers the price of direct editions so I can buy them less, great!

It will not drop direct prices, but it will raise newsstand prices.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I must be sitting on a goldmine of drek!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector sly private msg quote post Address this user
Here to stay!

Better yet, buy Canadian Price Variants from the 1980's ...these are scarcer in high grade....but buy the key books only!
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Is a military commissary bought book a newsstand edition?

My feelings about the "rarer" aspect are these.

There will be those that chase them, for sure.

There will be those that don't chase them, for sure.

But one thing is certain. Rarity is not a predominate factor. Supply and demand is. There are plenty of books that are truly rare, but are a hard sell at even a small price. And the variant market and their production numbers, make the numbers for newsstands seem huge.

How many of you are chasing books that only 300 were made?
Post 34 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Just because you guys like newsstand doesn’t mean collectors as a whole care about it. If it lowers the price of direct editions so I can buy them less, great!

I like direct edition books better. They always seem "cleaner." Like the kid with the Big Gulp didn't take his booger covered finger and flip through all the copies in the spinner rack.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Is a military commissary bought book a newsstand edition?

My feelings about the "rarer" aspect are these.

There will be those that chase them, for sure.

There will be those that don't chase them, for sure.

But one thing is certain. Rarity is not a predominate factor. Supply and demand is. There are plenty of books that are truly rare, but are a hard sell at even a small price. And the variant market and their production numbers, make the numbers for newsstands seem huge.

How many of you are chasing books that only 300 were made?

I look closer at comics with a limited print run. 300 is still a high number. Obviously if the comic is poor quality and undesirable content, I'm not going to be as inclined to buy it.

If condition is the same, I prefer newsstand versions over direct market version regardless of the era.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Here to stay!

Better yet, buy Canadian Price Variants from the 1980's ...these are scarcer in high grade....but buy the key books only!

I'd buy any Canadian Charlton editions in nice grade. I won't pay a lot, but I'd buy them if it was convenient.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
@dpiercy newsstand is uglier
Post 38 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
My stupid story I love to share. When I was a kid I would go to my local comic shop and look through the back issues (even back then I was a completionist) and I would find some issues where the bar code had a diagonal line through it. I figured someone had sold their entire collection to the comic shop after defacing all of them. So I wouldn’t buy them instead waiting until I could find a copy that wasn’t defaced.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEwan
My stupid story I love to share. When I was a kid I would go to my local comic shop and look through the back issues (even back then I was a completionist) and I would find some issues where the bar code had a diagonal line through it. I figured someone had sold their entire collection to the comic shop after defacing all of them. So I wouldn’t buy them instead waiting until I could find a copy that wasn’t defaced.

I like that story. Hmmm.

Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector robo_beardo private msg quote post Address this user
For me, I guess it just doesn’t make a difference. If I see 2 copies of the same book, in the same condition, but one is less expensive, I’ll happily go for the cheaper option.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
My take on the “why” is along the lines of what @Hcanes said; that there are a lot of folks from the 90s getting back into collecting, but most of the nostalgic items are common as dirt. Where’s the fun in that? Enter newsstand. Now the game is on.

Give this man a no prize.👍

This is one of the reasons why I specialize in copper age thru early 90's books.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@sly
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Here to stay!

Just realized I have a high grade Batman #357 Canadian price variant.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector sly private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@sly
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Here to stay!

Just realized I have a high grade Batman #357 Canadian price variant.

Nice, what grade is your Batman #357 in?
Send me a PM if ever you'd like to sell any Key CPV books in high grade.
Post 44 IP   flag post
600638 44 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?