Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Jack Kirby signature, real?6648

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user

Had this Hulk since the early nineties before Jack Passed, bought it with the signature.Appears on first full page splash at bottom, thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Send er in to CBCS for sig verification. Pins and needles for awhile. Because it’s on the splash where they belong I say “count it”

Here is my only one, supposedly done shortly before he died. I see some similarity, but mine, I don’t know eithe. A Dynamic Forces one.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Looks legit and Kirby is known for signing interior, not on cover.

Send it in, definitely worth the certification.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I say questionable. I have several to compare it with if you want, I can post them. The "y" is what has me wondering the most.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I hope all are authentic. Good luck. My favorite artist. Named my new kitten "Kirby" a couple months ago. King Kirby forever. 👑
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector LB_Buddha private msg quote post Address this user
Looks legit to me. Good luck!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm not convinced it's authentic.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
I'm not convinced it's authentic

Actually, from your pics, I think it shows it probably is authentic and an earlier signature (not just because of the actual signature but also because the Hulk is early 60's and the New God's are early 70's). Even your Sig's are kind of all over the place (look at the variations in the "J".)
Post 8 IP   flag post
Just giving my opinion. BTW, mine have all been authenticated by CBCS. The pictures were taken prior to being sent in for authentication.
Post 9 IP   flag post
No worries, I wasn't saying yours were fake, just pointing out that signatures are not uniform and vary from signature to signature and over time.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Changed my mind, here's one that looks more like it

Post 11 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
it's legit...heres mine for comparison. send it to CBCS VSP.

this one was red labelled by CBCS.

Post 12 IP   flag post
I appreciate all the information and input. In awe of all those Kirby signatures . You truly are fortunate...a signed new gods 7 even! I took the time to verify my information for my Hulk 1... Purchased in 1987. I have owned it since then. When I bought it alot of things were different. Kirby was alive and active signing for fans but also signatures we're a novelty at the time and had not become a huge deal like they are now. The dealer who sold me the book said he felt the signature was real but did not ask anything extra for the book. Different times for sure. There just wasn't incentive to do it at the time ...although anything is possible
I also sometimes wonder how the signature impacts value in comparison...for instance a Kirby signature on Kamandi 1 vs Hulk 1...does the sgnature attach a ballpark value that is consistent or do you assign differing values based on signature for a more common book vs something that is a bit of a Grail?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town

Welcome to the forum.

There seems to be some hesitation in between the “b” and “y”. Almost looks like an extra character.

Although, something similar does appear vaguely in @OGJackster’s third example.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I also sometimes wonder how the signature impacts value in comparison...for instance a Kirby signature on Kamandi 1 vs Hulk 1...does the sgnature attach a ballpark value that is consistent or do you assign differing values based on signature for a more common book vs something that is a bit of a Grail?

this is my opinion only, I'm not a fan of signatures with the rare exception of Jack Kirby (because he's the greatest of all time) and Steve Ditko. I especially don't like sigs on grails, again with the above exceptions. But, even with the above exceptions, they mean nothing with atleast a VSP red label CBCS. I can't stress enough the importance of VSP. Great book man!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town Is that a Incredible Hulk #1??
Post 16 IP   flag post
Yes...it is.My friend Emily shows the book off at a recent anime festival
Post 17 IP   flag post
One thing I notice is a lot of people advocating to send it and get that illustrious red label and so forth. Just seeing it from the other side of the fence though...how fast would be likely to take a 14 thousand dollar book and just pop it off into the mail? Aside from that obvious thing, the cost for having a book like this graded and slabbed once the signature is authenticated is well over 500 dollars by itself. Yet another thing to ponder is once this book is slabbed, that autograph you treasure and love so much....you likely wont ever see it again.....because it will be sealed away.
There are some powerful arguments for having the work done for sure, but quite a few that make it a thought process as well.
A 3.5 to 4.0 Hulk 1 right now at GPA price levels sits between 10 and 14 thousand depending what figure you use to determine value. The idea has come to have it signature authenticated for now and eventually slabbed, however that would mean sending the book two separate times thus increasing the risk. Does anyone else wrestle with these worries or is it fairly cut and dried for most?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
One thing I notice is a lot of people advocating to send it and get that illustrious red label and so forth. Just seeing it from the other side of the fence though...how fast would be likely to take a 14 thousand dollar book and just pop it off into the mail? Aside from that obvious thing, the cost for having a book like this graded and slabbed once the signature is authenticated is well over 500 dollars by itself. Yet another thing to ponder is once this book is slabbed, that autograph you treasure and love so much....you likely wont ever see it again.....because it will be sealed away.
There are some powerful arguments for having the work done for sure, but quite a few that make it a thought process as well.
A 3.5 to 4.0 Hulk 1 right now at GPA price levels sits between 10 and 14 thousand depending what figure you use to determine value. The idea has come to have it signature authenticated for now and eventually slabbed, however that would mean sending the book two separate times thus increasing the risk. Does anyone else wrestle with these worries or is it fairly cut and dried for most?

If you are worried about shipping - you could drop-off via a con. Make sure you get receipts and have pictures of the comic.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

very valid points for sure. your hesitation is totally understandable. but without a red label, from a re-sale point of view, that sig is just writing on that book. with my Kirby sig, I took lots of photos so I can see the sig any time. full page photos, close up photos etc. if you send it in, insure it up the wazoo again taking lots of photos of the entire book (with you in some photos as well). Bullet proof packaging as well. Lastly, I believe the cost of slabbing and VSP'ing the book is much less than the value it gives it. it's only nerve racking for the time the book is gone but consider people have submitted Action1, Cap1, Tec27, AF15 etc..
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I agree that having a book like that to keep and spending $500+ out of pocket to get it slabbed is no small expense to eat

I'd only do it if I was looking to sell.

Are there other ways to get signature verified for peace of mind without needing to send it in to cbcs?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Yes...it is.My friend Emily shows the book off at a recent anime festival

What book? Is there a book in that picture?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector chameleoncolors private msg quote post Address this user
This was us from the special edition of art ofkrby numbered to 1000, it looks different from the others but then again it was signed in 1991 a few years before his death... rip the king of comics i
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I usually photograph the signatures THEN send in for red label (if signature is inside). When the book comes back I put a hard copy of the picture with the slab
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I usually photograph the signatures THEN send in for red label. When the book comes back I put a hard copy of the picture with the slab

me too!!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town Your concerns are valid. I had the same exact ones when I subbed my AF 15.

The only difference was that I purchased the AF with the sole intention of having the signatures verified immediately. Since I live in Oregon, I drove 5 hours round-trip to Sweet Home in order to deliver it to Mike Dechellis/Hero Restoration to press beforehand. He then handed it to me at ECCC a couple weeks later and I submitted it at the con to CBCS.

I was fairly sure about the signatures authenticity so I insured it for above FMV. CBCS was great every step of the way. The turn-around time was about a month with the VSP.

I would suggest you go a similar route. Not just for the signatures but for the insurance value of such a rare and expensive collectible. God forbid something happen to it and you have no way of proving its FMV. At least with a professional grade you can have some idea, otherwise grading is purely subjective. Or you could always take it to an antiques dealer and get it appraised raw, as-is. There are a few options.

Congrats on the book though, my not-so-secret dream is to own all the major Marvel SA keys signed by Kirby.
Post 26 IP   flag post
615694 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?