Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Can't believe I found this image! This is the officially approved Squa Tront shipping envelope from the late 60's that delivered the first couple of issues to me. Yes, the postage was that cheap! Yes, the envelope and contents arrived in great condition (U.S. postal service was pretty darn good back then). Yes, the parcel was delivered to the correct address with only my middle name "Cat" and no first or last name. No, I haven't lived in Oklahoma for several decades, so the address on the envelope is totally invalid.

Post 101 IP   flag post
Art demo at Mile High Con (Denver, CO) 2010, your's truly & Donato Giancola...

Post 102 IP   flag post
FENCON (D/FW Metroplex) art auction emceed by a suspiciously familiar auctioneer ...

In order to prompt bidding at these events, an auctioneer has to have good comedic timing and be entertaining. SF con patrons are a tough crowd!
Post 103 IP   flag post
OAF-con 2014, smaller show set-up, no wall display, just a mobile marque to promote our upcoming Morganville film...

Front shot of our table display cheerfully maintained by my charming assistant that weekend, author Rosemarie Clement-Moore...

Post 104 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica - If my eyes don’t deceive me, might that be one of your two 9.4 copies of The Human Torch #23 in front of Ms. RCM?
Post 105 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@CatmanAmerica - If my eyes don’t deceive me, might that be one of your two 9.4 copies of The Human Torch #23 in front of Ms. RCM?

Your vision is 20/20.
Post 106 IP   flag post
Dealers room shot mid-70's. Alas, at the moment I can identify neither the dealer nor his customers. However, I can say with some degree of certainty that Ringo Starr is on the wall...

Post 107 IP   flag post
Not sure whether these fans were impressed with the comics or the dealer's creative PVC wall rack construction...

Post 108 IP   flag post
Christmastime in fandomland. Little John, your's truly & the legendary John Verzyl celebrating the arrival of a new book to my collection a couple of years ago...

I miss my friend John Sr., but Little John stepped up as the new big John at SDCC. We all wish him success, ...comic dealing can be a challenging adventure.
Post 109 IP   flag post
Founders of the Oklahoma Alliance of Fans (early comic fan group started over 50 years ago) including Bart Bush and Robert A. brown (third & fourth members on right) at the 2017 OAFcon, Norman, Okla. ...

Post 110 IP   flag post
HoustonCon Revisited (Aug. 8-10, 2014)...

This was a reunion of fans and dealers who'd attended the HoustonCon/StarTrekcon annual cons in the early 70's. Nice little get-together of old-time fans and traders at the Hilton Houston North. Actually better attended than suggested by the shots I took. Lots of rare paper collectibles. Venders included Bedrock City from Houston, Lonestar Comics from Dallas and Mannup Collectibles from all over.
Post 111 IP   flag post
This thread is beginning to look like MacArthur's farewell address. When crickets are chirping as the thread scrolls off the main page, somethin' ain't workin' right. I suspect there may be some degree of difficulty connecting with images of the elder statesmen of the hobby if you don't personally know them.

Folks apparently want more NOW fandom, ...maybe a few cosplayer images from SDCC or Chicago Wizard would liven things up. Whatever works and passes muster with board moderators is fine with me.

So, if you've got recent fan images you'd like to share, please feel free to post them here, but try to attribute images by date to the convention or event where they were taken for context.
Post 112 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I have no connection to the Texas scene. I recognize a few faces of people I've never met.
If I take a camera to a show, I usually don't feel like snapping pictures. I like buying Sketchbooks at shows...

Post 113 IP   flag post
@X51 That Jones Sketchbook is really cool.

I get what you're saying about photos of folks with whom you only have a passing familiarity. This helps me figure out what others are more interested in seeing in a thread like this.

Although I don't take many pics at conventions, over the years I've accumulated quite a few from regional shows. While I thought those might be interesting, scanning the fanzines I've collected may have more general appeal than the photos.

Appreciate the input.
Post 114 IP   flag post
Fanzine get lost in obscurity. Here are some I've acquired over the years... typically real cheap when stores are going out of business.

Post 115 IP   flag post

Post 116 IP   flag post

Post 117 IP   flag post
I still like sketchbooks better

Post 118 IP   flag post

Post 119 IP   flag post
@X51 Nice looking zines!

From my personal collection of obscure fanzines, a regularly published Science Fiction Club APA (in this sense an "APA" means Amateur Press Association):

The zine was often thematic so December '80 became the Sagittarian issue, it's cover featuring Jim Morrison, who once proclaimed on stage that he was a Sagittarian, most philosophical of all the signs, ...before adding he thought it was all a bunch of BS.

The publication is Apa Pi, the intellectual appendage of the Norman Science Fiction Association (NOSFA) based at Oklahoma University.
Post 120 IP   flag post
SF Convention programs (1992)...

Post 121 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I got this from a friend of mine who knows I like war comics. Apparently, this is from a conference that was held in 2001. It was focused on the Big 5 DC war titles. The centerfold of a nice color piece of the USS Stevens by Sam Glanzman. It is also signed by him. There is an article in it about Dick Ayers that is also signed by him. The book is not in the best condition, but in my eyes, it is quite a treasure!!!

Post 122 IP   flag post
A multi-faceted assortment of con programs collected over the years. Many of these were printed half page size (5.5" X 8.5" or thereabouts) so, with the exception of those programs with generally familiar artists, I've grouped them six to an iPad photo...

Note: The stand-out art composition in this lot is the NeoCon program cover, by well known SF and gaming illustrator Dell Harris.

Believe me when I say that there'll be more to come, ...I've just started digging through boxes. (LOL! - I'm gonna need a lot more beer)
Post 123 IP   flag post
D-Con '71 Program, Richard Corben cover art...

This was a major red carpet Comic and SF convention in anticipation of Dallas' winning the bid for the World Science Fiction Convention in '73. Unfortunately, the D-Con steering committee came up short and lost the bid to Toronto, Ontario (Torcon II) for the World SF con that year.
Post 124 IP   flag post
Here's a very early mid-60's fanzine. Golden Age #2 was published in limited numbers using stencils and mimeograph printing (early form of photocopying) by the legendary fan GB Love through his South Florida Collector's Association (aka the SFCA)...

Post 125 IP   flag post
I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
So perhaps this is a silly question, but I'd like to ask the older folks how conventions were way back when. I'm in my mid 30's liked comics as a kid, really got back into them about 10 years ago, also started attending cons then. My point being I have a love/hate relationship with conventions at the moment, I love certain aspects like cosplay, talking with like minded people, finding cool stuff, etc. However what I hate is the seeming influx of people who are there just to snatch up exclusives and autographs to resell and make a buck. Here's to you guy with a short box in line to get (insert popular artists name) signature on all 200 books while some guys have one issue. Now dont get me wrong, you want to resell and all that stuff, thats fine, but i've seen people who really arent into the culture or are faking it just to jump on trends to make a buck all the while abusing artists kindness and snatching up all exclusives.

Sorry, that was a rant, point being, were conventions of old similar and I'm just bitter or has there definitely been a change?

I'm of the opinion that I would have enjoyed the culture of a con much more prior to the Iron Man movie in 2008 and all the madness and vultures that brought with it.
Post 126 IP   flag post
The entire hobby was more fun in the 70's. The focus was on owning the comics, not chasing the grade. There weren't long lines for signatures. Artists chatted with real fans, not people getting autographs so they could resell something.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
The entire hobby was more fun in the 70's. The focus was on owning the comics, not chasing the grade. There weren't long lines for signatures. Artists chatted with real fans, not people getting autographs so they could resell something.

Everything was more fun in the 70’s. Sneaking into bars, buying houses on part time income, not caring if you messed up a comic with green Kool-Aid. I amaze my kids with stories from then
Post 128 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Everything was more fun in the 70’s. Sneaking into bars, buying houses on part time income, not caring if you messed up a comic with green Kool-Aid. I amaze my kids with stories from then

Pretty much. Simpler times. You went home to talk on the phone rather than be interrupted every 5 minutes.
Post 129 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Pretty much. Simpler times. You went home to talk on the phone rather than be interrupted every 5 minutes.

The music was better (except disco...that was worse), the movies were better, the cars were better, comics were better...the 70s were a magical time!
Post 130 IP   flag post
601490 224 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?