Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
What about a little Cosplay?

Here’s the wife & I on our way to Stockton-Con about three years ago:

Post 26 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
George Pal speaking at The American Nostalgia Convention, Dallas, July '74...

Post 27 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica dude!!!!! those pics are so beyond cool!!!! I love them!!!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@CatmanAmerica dude!!!!! those pics are so beyond cool!!!! I love them!!!!

Thanks!

Here's something more recent, but only fandom related when you start identifying the players. This is the "Chicago Wizards" basketball franchise from about 5 years ago...

Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Who is the guy in the front holding the bottle? He looks familiar.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Roy Delic (Vintage Comics, Canadian dealer)
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Thought some might like to see some comic book prices fron 1989
Check out the price of tickets

Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Roy Delic (Vintage Comics, Canadian dealer)

He has an uncanny resemblance to a guy I knew in the 90's. It's not the same person I knew.
Post 33 IP   flag post
70's catalog from Rogofsky..

Post 34 IP   flag post
Rockets Blast Special #8 - These were published by G. B. Love (SFCA - South Florida Comic Association) who edited a lot of good quality offset fanzines in the 60's & 70's supported by his successful adzine The Rockets Blast Comic Collector. The cover for this zine was done by Don Newton who'd eventually become a highly regarded illustrator at DC with a distinctive style. Tragically, Don died at 49 after a massive heart attack in 1984 as his career was really taking off in ernest.

Post 35 IP   flag post
Sharknado movie promo parade, SDCC several years ago...

Post 36 IP   flag post
The awesome Rare High Grade party (SDCC, 2015)- Annual gathering of high grade GA comic collectors. The ultimate comic geek's show & tell...

Post 37 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
1981 wholesale price list from PASSAIC BOOK CENTER.

mm
Post 38 IP   flag post
Friends caught on my IPad hangin' out at our booth at the 2016 OAF-con (Okla.)...

The late great John Verzyl, wheelin' dealin' Steve Borock, & skyscrapin' Richard Evans.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector RareComics private msg quote post Address this user
This was given to attendees of the 1970 Multi-Con.

Post 40 IP   flag post
@RareComics I was there as well; my second major Convention in fact. The Oklahoma Alliance of Fans sponsored Multicon '70 as part of a tri-city alliance (Okla. City, Dallas & Houston). A system was devised to alternate annual shows ...thus spreading out the workload and reducing volunteer burn-out... starting in 1967.

Alas, the alliance broke down in the early '70s as fandom grew exponentially over a short period of time and the regional fan clubs involved in con-sponsorship decided attendance growth would now support more regional shows that'd be profitable with less risk spread around. They were right.

Fortunately, the clubs remained civil & did their best to coordinate away from each other's summer scheduling dates to insure optimum attendance. It just meant more convention field trips for us crazed fans, which was tough going for a college student on a budget (although we did occasionally break hotel room occupancy rules by stacking fans like cordwood to cut housing expenses).
Post 41 IP   flag post
Through this thread I've tried to avoid posting anything resembling selfies or posed photos with other fans and/or guests, not that I'm opposed to them or other's posting them, but simply because I'm trying my best to focus attention on other fans and pros I've met over the years.

Still, I keep coming back to pics I'm in from the distant past. In some cases, like the one below, I can't provide one of the names, but the image is worth posting, nonetheless. So, here is a photo taken between '80 & '82 at a Texas convention (Houston, I believe) with my late friend Wilson (Bob) Tucker, first fandom author. The young woman standing between me & Bob was much more impressive than either of us, but her name eludes me.

If memory serves, Bob and I were costume contest judges that weekend and she was one of the contestants. Her attire represents early cosplay even if the costume was specifically worn for the contest.

Yeah, I know, geekiness runneth over.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Some photographs of art on display at Dragoncon 2010. The Steranko page is the most interesting.

Post 43 IP   flag post
What happens when you're wired on too much caffeine at SDCC? Well, you can end up being chased by a Disney dragon from the How To Train You Dragon series ...that's what!

Post 44 IP   flag post
'79 D-Con Program...

Post 45 IP   flag post
I posted this in the cooler than cool thread too, so apologies for the redundancy. This very much fits into both the cool category and fan geek category. This is a reminiscence of a convention outing that included Bernie Wrightson, Archie Goodwin, Steve Leialoha, Bob Wayne, my ex (Kathy), and your's truly to a bowling alley in Tulsa, ...and no, I'm not making this up!

The Big Lebowsky moment while attending OAF's Dec. Wintercon in Tulsa, Okla., dubbed "Tornado-con" by all who attended because of the unseasonable tornado that threatened the convention. While the tornado was certainly the star attraction that weekend, this was the event I remember most...

Alas, none of us were scouted for openings on the pro-bowler's tour, but everyone on hand had a great time. Bob Wayne, Texas fanzine publisher ...who'd eventually become the VP of Marketing at DC/Time-Warner... was on hand. He sat the game out, but helped keep the scoring straight and tossed in ocassional sarcasm as required.

Alas, the Yale Bowl is no longer around. Bernie and Archie have moved on as well. I toast their artistic & writing talents here in the spirit of that unplanned bowling excursion in Tulsa. Rest In Peace, bros.
Post 46 IP   flag post
RIP Harlan Ellison

A 2004 clip of Harlan Ellison commenting on his fans alongside Peter David.

Post 47 IP   flag post
SDCC 2011 - Mitchell Mehdy holding my just purchased copy of Daredevil Battles Hitler...

Over the ensuing years, I sold this copy, purchased another in higher grade, sold that and now I'm mulling over the prospect of trying to snag another high grade copy (place face-palm here). I don't know what it is about this book.
Post 48 IP   flag post
It's neat, but as always, there are far too many comics that interest me more.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I hear ya. The thing about DBH is that it holds a unique position in the history of comics. As a cover, Bob Wood & Charles Biro's inventive use of that retouched photo of Hitler ...and the promise of featured players engaging in an epic battle to topple the world's most reviled dictator... is the stuff of greatness. It is entirely fair to call this book a classic, and the interior story lives up to the promise.

As a launch for a new book, DBH worked extremely well. Monthly issues followed to great success. Both Wood & Biro would be rewarded by Lev Gleason with editorship of the title and go on to edit other provocative cutting edge crime titles. The Wood/Biro editorship is noteworthy for being heavily weighted toward story content over art.

There is an anecdotal footnote to Bob Wood's career after he left comics. In the late 50's he'd become involved in a drunken tryst with a married woman that ended in her death and a manslaughter conviction. He spent a couple of years in prison, then ended up a victim of murder himself after release (purportedly at the hands of former cell mates to whom he owed money).

Yeah, I know, ...that's TMI. (LOL!)
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I hear ya. The thing about DBH is that it holds a unique position in the history of comics. As a cover, Bob Wood & Charles Biro's inventive use of that retouched photo of Hitler ...and the promise of featured players engaging in an epic battle to topple the world's most reviled dictator... is the stuff of greatness. It is entirely fair to call this book a classic, and the interior story lives up to the promise.

As a launch for a new book, DBH worked extremely well. Monthly issues followed to great success. Both Wood & Biro would be rewarded by Lev Gleason with editorship of the title and go on to edit other provocative cutting edge crime titles. The Wood/Biro editorship is noteworthy for being heavily weighted toward story content over art.

There is an anecdotal footnote to Bob Wood's career after he left comics. In the late 50's he'd become involved in a drunken tryst with a married woman that ended in her death and a manslaughter conviction. He spent a couple of years in prison, then ended up a victim of murder himself after release (purportedly at the hands of former cell mates to whom he owed money).

Yeah, I know, ...that's TMI. (LOL!)

Not TMI. I read the story about Bob Wood about a year ago. I'd forgotten about it, but you reminded me.

I always liked the Lev Gleason art on any comics I've seen. Golden age is not my expertise. It's more of a novelty for me.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Friend & dealer from whom I bought lots of books from over the years, the late great John Verzyl...

It was John's 8.5 DBH I purchased at SDCC. Sweet book, even if it isn't everybody's cuppa.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Weird scenes inside the goldmine (70's convention shots, probably Multicon in Okla. City)...

I see John Harper in one photo and Joe Bob Williams in another. I can identify a few more, but I don't have all the names to fill in blanks. That's part of the fun. If you recognize someone, feel free to dive right in and help identify the mysterious dealers and fans.

Post 53 IP   flag post
William "Whitey" Benedict, character actor best known for his roles in the Bowery Boys & Dead End Kids film series and Republic's Adventures of Captain Marvel serial (June '74, American Nostalgia Convention, Dallas TX)...

Post 54 IP   flag post
Comic dealer Eric Groves, then (mid-70's) ...

...and now (2017 OAFcon):

Post 55 IP   flag post
601461 224 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?