Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Thearrow private msg quote post Address this user
I'm on the fence of getting my Brave and the bold #28 signed by Joe Giella at terriccon. Was just trying to get some opinions on it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector MedicAR private msg quote post Address this user
If you want his signature that bad, I've got it on a Millennium Edition of the same book CGC'd. I would gladly trade you straight across to save a nice key from having a guy scribble on it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
People either like autographed comics or they don't. Most of the "don'ts" are old school collectors. If you like autographs there isn't any reason to not like them on key books.

Maybe if your book is a high grade copy - 8.5 and above is rare for this book - you might want to consider NOT getting it signed. Otherwise I see no reason to not get one of the most important books a creator worked on signed by said creator.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector MedicAR private msg quote post Address this user
Don't get me wrong, I've got hundreds of signed and certified comics and hundreds of hardback books signed as well. It's fun to find items signed by their creators and others that had some input on their creation. It's more fun to get out there and get them signed personally. I am also a firm believer in the idea that it's your property and you can do what you like with it. I just shudder at seeing genuine keys being signed anymore. Bronze and modern? Those are fine. Silver and gold? I wouldn't do it.

But that's me and it's your book, so do as you will!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in agreement with @MedicAR

A comic survives 40 years with no writing on it and people want to get it signed by a guy who barely remembers working on it. I don't see the point. I bought some art from an artist and he says "Would you like me to sign it?" I said "There's nothing more personal than knowing you drew everything on the page but you can sign it if you like." Some comics were solicited as being signed. An artist was selling me a personal unsigned copy and said "Would you like me to sign it?" I said "no" because an unsigned copy was more rare... and the signature by itself without some other people signing it would make it look incomplete. For me, a signature is just a remembrance that I met the creator. I don't need to take an expensive comic and get it signed. A napkin would do.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I think y'all should get all the signatures you can on your golden, silver and bronze age books.

Can't help but make my un-signed gold/silver and bronze books more valuable in the long run.

Get Stan Lee to sign EVERYTHING, no matter if he had anything to do with them or not. Get everything you have signed by someone. Please.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
People either like autographed comics or they don't. Most of the "don'ts" are old school collectors. If you like autographs there isn't any reason to not like them on key books.

Maybe if your book is a high grade copy - 8.5 and above is rare for this book - you might want to consider NOT getting it signed. Otherwise I see no reason to not get one of the most important books a creator worked on signed by said creator.

A witnessed signature of a key book that a creator worked on tends to help a books' value; if it is lower grade.

Coverless/incomplete up to 3.0, at the highest, would not be a bad move.

But once you get past the 3.0 mark, signatures usually have little (if any) effect on a book.

Past 3.0, they tend to have a bit of a negative effect.

That negative effect gets more pronounced , as grade gets higher.

I would put the reasonable threshold at 3.0 , as a general rule of thumb, on silver age keys.Well removed from 8.5.

Last time I had a SA key that was signed, I could not sell it at even close to GPA for a blue label of the same grade.

It was an ASM #31 8.0 WP CGC SS Stan Lee.

First Gwen Stacy cameo.

It floundered on eBay for about 3 months IIRC.

Tried the CGC Forum.

One poster even remarked that if it wasn't signed, he'd buy it be of its' WP designatuin, at 10% above GPA average for the book. Which is what I thought it was worth, due to the WP designation.

IME, and from what I've seen, sigs on keys that aren't beaters, is a kick in the balls.

I ended up trading the book for $800-$1000 in credit, to a LCS/dealer friend of mine.

He got full sticker, or close to it, for it from a store customer, about a $1000.

Of course this is not concrete, but if you look at keys in GPA, my assertion holds water more often than not.

There is also the cost of re-grading to consider and SS fees, which can be several hundred dollars when all is said and done , on a book like this.

Let alone the chance that it taken when a slab is cracked and it gets down graded, at some point in the signing process.

If the OP goes that route, he could minimize the risk by getting a reputable SS/AW.

There are those like Celestial and Desert Wind Comics, who are well known to butcher signings.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few signed books...Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Joe Simon, Alex Ross etc. but generally speaking I am not a fan of signatures. The books with the mentioned sigs above are all on relatively new books with the exception of Jack Kirby's which is on New Gods #1.

I collect only silverage and golden age books with some bronze age exceptions. I would not buy a signed silver/golden/bronze age book (slabbed or otherwise) unless it was a great deal (i.e considerably lower than it's unsigned counterpart). But that's me...not sure if I'm the mainstream on this opinion.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
If on indicia on pre 1990ish books - I'm in.
If on cover of pre 1990ish books - I'm out.

Now that there is no indicia for the last 25+ years, cover is fine. (Option for indicia sadly is gone)

I prefer autos on inside of tpb and hardcovers more than any comic book.

It's that simple for me
Post 9 IP   flag post
598060 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?