Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPComics Modern AgeQuestions

Autograph verification6618

Collector Kalistyles private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious. I have an autographed Todd McFarlane Spiderman #1 comic(black cover) that I got from a friend for a payment for the movies a few years back. I was doing some research on the signature to see if it matches. It looks really close with the exception of the c. Which Todd seems to put this line in for his. Mine he actually uses the c. Now is there a way to verify if it's real? Also, if I submitted it for grading and it's not his authentic signature does it degrade the comic value? Any help is appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector richgarc private msg quote post Address this user
Todd’s signature was different back then. The best way to figure out if it’s real is to look for a little spiderweb stamp somewhere in the book. Usually placed on the back cover. This was “proof” of the signature as it was stamped when he did any signings
Post 2 IP   flag post
Huh. Ok good to know. I'll have to take a look and see. Thanks for you quick response.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector LB_Buddha private msg quote post Address this user
Post a picture if you can. Many of us can tell if his sig is legit or not. It has changed from back then but easy to verify imo as he doesn’t deviate that much.
Post 4 IP   flag post

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Spider Sense isn't tingling, fwiw.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Sigh. I was afraid I was going to hear something like this. But thanks for your response. So if it's not, what does it do to the value of the book?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalistyles
Just curious. I have an autographed Todd McFarlane Spiderman #1 comic(black cover) that I got from a friend for a payment for the movies a few years back. I was doing some research on the signature to see if it matches. It looks really close with the exception of the c. Which Todd seems to put this line in for his. Mine he actually uses the c. Now is there a way to verify if it's real? Also, if I submitted it for grading and it's not his authentic signature does it degrade the comic value? Any help is appreciated.

What did the friend say about it? Where it came from? Traceability back to TM?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I would DM this pic over to Todd. He’s verified many time before for people in a Facebook group I’m in. But yeah...not looking to legit compared to ones I’ve seen and have. Again, message him to make sure.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I asked him. He said he got it from a comic book store back in the early 90s after it came out. It was a pretty popular comic book store in our area back then. It's not around anymore though. Like most stores in the area.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks. I'll send it on his page and see if he responds.
Post 11 IP   flag post
By the way. Which Facebook group should I send it too?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Not the group. Todd directly. He’s present on all platforms Instagram, Twitter, Facebook etc...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks Buddha!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Average forgery imo

First tm signature I've seen with a ballpoint pen
Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I do not believe it's legitimate, either.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I knew someone who would sign Todd's name on any comic you wanted right there in front of you. Then he'd laugh because he knew how many forgeries were being passed as real. He usually signed some worthless store copy and threw it away.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalistyles
Sigh. I was afraid I was going to hear something like this. But thanks for your response. So if it's not, what does it do to the value of the book?

Grade wise, an unverified signature on the inside of a comic book typically doesn't have much effect on the assigned grade. At least not until you get to the better than NM (9.4) range. I should caution that my statement here is only for sure accurate with CGC. Every signed book I've ever sent into CBCS was sent in for signature verification and passed except one. That books graded didn't seem to be hammered. So I only know 100% for certain that CGC doesn't hit the grade hard for unwitnessed signatures on the interior. I've sent in dozens of TMNT 1-4 with unwitnessed interior signatures to CGC and have had a number of 9.6's (no 9.8's). So the hit on grade must be very, very small - with CGC. I just don't know 100% for certain that CBCS grades the same way. They tend to be very similar - since Steve B "wrote the book" for both companies so to speak.

As for value - it is not an expensive book anyway. I think your signature has little affect on the value of the book. Left unverified and raw it's probably worth a bit more.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thanks for the help and responses everyone.
Post 19 IP   flag post
598065 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?