Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

ASM 800 Hughes Variant6608

Collector bsh private msg quote post Address this user
I just received my 4 book set of ASM 800 Hughes variant. The top and bottom corners are split on all the books. Not too happy about it considering the set cost 135.75 shipped. Did anyone else have this problem?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
And that's why I stopped buying a lot of the sets special variants and such got tired of getting damaged product when I'm spending a lot of money
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Orangestang private msg quote post Address this user
The entire asm800 run has this issue.
Marvel are idiots, this is a 96 page comics and should have been bound like a trade paper back.

Any asm800, reg or variant has this issue. You can still get 9.8 as this is a known issue
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
So far I've received about 10 books of asm 800.. Only 1 doesn't have spine damage of some description ...

Waiting on my others.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
all of mine have spine splits at top and bottom

the best one for me was my polybagged Alex Ross virgin cover
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Unless you ordered a 9.8 cgc/cbcs copy, then you're likely going to have these defects. MI'm curious if even the slabbed 9.8s have these issues.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yes
Cgc and cbcs have issued 9.8s with split ends. Since 95% of the books have this they are not holding this against the grading as it’s poor binding
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Surprised a split book still gets a 9.8 regardless of the cause.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I am not. They won’t hold marvels stupiditiy against everyone
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
That's bad.. The split books should not be getting 9.8

I asked little giant if any of the shattered dont have the defect. "almost all have bindery defect"

If those with spine splits are getting 9.8 books without should be getting 9.9

Ridiculous
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector spideyfan68 private msg quote post Address this user
He does have this posted on his site:

KNOWN PRODUCTION ISSUES
We're honest! Before you buy, we want you to know that the entire print run of ASM #800, both retail copies and retailer exclusives, suffers from production imperfections to the spine and corners. These imperfections are typical with bigger books (ASM #800 has 96 pages). Our print run is no exception and presents some of the issues found on other ASM #800 copies. Our print run is not significantly damaged and does not qualify for an extensive re-print.

We have extensively reviewed our inventory for quality and selected the best possible copies to fulfill orders placed on our web store. While we are shipping quality stock, note that you may still find some issues with corners and spines. These known issues are present on all copies to various degrees.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

You should see it before I worked on this book...

Terrible...shame on Marvel. Boooooooo
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector bsh private msg quote post Address this user
@spideyfan68 what site is that from?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsh

scott campbell
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, as mentioned in another thread, these should have all been printed prestige format... price covered it even given the page count. Not really an excuse. By saying "prestige" and using a standard UPC, it keeps it classified as a normal comic, rather than a graphic novel, which can have fewer pages, actually. It's all just in the wording.

Stinks!

I got one regular and one Ramos variant, and both have the same defects, but I knew they would, so I'm annoyed, but far from surprised.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector spideyfan68 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsh

sorry should have read the post closer, that was from JSC website not Hughes. Seem this is going to be a very common problem for this book and the unicorn will be the one(s) without the spine tears.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Loiselle313 private msg quote post Address this user
Same thing happened with ASM 700 as well as ASM 1 (vol. 3). I had several copies graded 9.8, be it standard copies or retailer exclusives.

They all had binding issues at the corners. It is a manufacturing defect and just a result of Marvel not using a thicker/heavier card stock for the cover.

IMO, because it was a $10 book, and should have had a thicker cover. DC is know ln for putting thicker/heavier card stock on their covers of books containing more pages.

But people will get 9.8’s with the bindery issues.
Post 17 IP   flag post
600703 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?