Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureSignatures

Comic Con "Experiences", and screwing over your fans6592

Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
First post, going to rage.

Seriously, when did the comic industry become all about artists and creators screwing their fans as hard as possible? When did "gouging for every tiny ass thing" become the norm?

Look at this crap:

MEET SUPERSTAR COMIC ARTIST ANDY KUBERT
Join us for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Whether you’re getting a personalized character sketch from the legendary creator, attending an intimate roundtable discussion, a free panel or autograph signing – there’s a perfect fan experience for everyone.

Original inked head sketch done on 8.5x11 drawing paper or blank comic cover (character of your choice)
5 autographs per person
Exclusive roundtable discussion with Andy Kubert
The best selfie ever! Don’t forget your camera.

$795 + tax

SEVEN HUNDRED AND NINETY FAN-F****G DOLLARS.

Are you kidding me? Thats insane. INSANE. For $800 he should come to my goddam house and draw a lifesize batman on my wall.

Greg Capullo and Scott Snyder are two of the biggest names in the industry, and they are $100 for 5 sigs and a set of signed Metal Variants. That to me shows respect to the fans. Yeah there's still a cost, but it's far more than reasonable and its a great deal. Hell even I bought in, mostly because those two guys rock.

Jim Lee? Free. McFarlane is free (I think). So many big names...free. I don't mean to single out Kubert because he isn't the only one, but man did this piss me right off.

Between this and 3453 variants being released for every single goddam non-key who-gives-a-shit comic, it really feels like being a collector is more about being fine with the industry crapping on your head.

DOn't even start with the "if you don't like it you don't have to buy it" bs either. That's a weaksauce BS argument and doesn't solve the problem.

I fail to understand how bleeding the fanbase of a suffering industry is a sound business plan.

ok I'm good and going to bed. Everybody, drop your bombs on this thread while I'm sleeping.

</ragepost>
Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Welcome to the forum.

lol!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Love your rage against the machine, man.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
You may not be comparing apples to apples here.

It looks like Andy Kubert normally charges $15 to sign a book you are going to get professionally graded and slabbed and $5 for "Raw" signatures. This charging more for books that are going to get professionally graded is becoming more common. You mention McFarlane being free. But that's only at comic cons he attends and books signed by him at comic cons cannot be turned in for grading. He signs 2x a year at his studio books that can be sent into CGC. Last year the signature cost was $50 for those books.

So it's pretty obvious that what you are talking about costing almost $800 is some sort of exclusive, VIP meeting with Andy Kubert. A roundtable isn't usually very large - so you are paying for the opportunity to actually spend a significant amount of time with Andy Kubert. Instead of spending a significant amount of time waiting in line for Andy to sign your book(s).

http://www.comicsketchart.com/andy-kubert-show-signings.html
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Know what else is insane? Paying $80 to hundreds of dollars just to get into a Con.

Love that word, "Con".
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I am all in. When and where does this take place?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know.
I just paid $120 for a dinner with Steranko (26 of us).
Included food and 3 signed items - was a bargain for someone who changed the medium!

What did Andy do again??
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
FanExpo Canada i think.

https://secure.e-registernow.com/cgi-bin/mkpayment.cgi?state=3206&_ga=2.64519407.1171845286.1528945700-527390464.1528945700

Most recently Andy did Dark Knight III
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector VictorCreed private msg quote post Address this user
The same fan experience last year with Adam Kubert was 550. Is Andy worth 250 more?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorCreed
The same fan experience last year with Adam Kubert was 550. Is Andy worth 250 more?

I have no idea.

It's also possible the prices are being set by the show - not the celebrity/artist
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't feel outrage. I'd just laugh and keep walking. I don't even have any interest in meeting Andy Kubert. Don't like his art and don't particularly want anything he's done in my collection. I probably have some comics he drew... but it was for the characters, not his art.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I'm may be one of the "few" but, I'm done with cons. The huge amount of rude people, long lines, and the cost. If you want a truly exclusive item it's usually way overpriced. It's just not that fun anymore... on second thought, I think I'm just getting old LOL!
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I don't know.
I just paid $120 for a dinner with Steranko (26 of us).
Included food and 3 signed items - was a bargain for someone who changed the medium!

What did Andy do again??

my buddy was there too...Niagara...Sterenko has the greatest hair in all of comics!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
This whole multi variant per issue thing reminds me when Topps , Fleer, Donruss, Upper Deck etc etc, flooded the market with off shoots of their own brand and also started inserting “chase” cards and such and you know what? It killed the hobby for a great many. Flooded it with too much to try to keep up a collection . Especially for people like me who have OCD and had to try to get EVERYTHING. I know it ended it for me. Are comics following the same path of destruction?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicnewbie
This whole multi variant per issue thing reminds me when Topps , Fleer, Donruss, Upper Deck etc etc, flooded the market with off shoots of their own brand and also started inserting “chase” cards and such and you know what? It killed the hobby for a great many. Flooded it with too much to try to keep up a collection . Especially for people like me who have OCD and had to try to get EVERYTHING. I know it ended it for me. Are comics following the same path of destruction?

I can tell you that I got out of the variant game soon after I started for that reason alone....i only collect bronze age and earlier.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
at the end of the day you can just get the standard issue and carry on with enjoying reading comic books ...

But I think variabts are great if there's an issue you really love, you can make collecting every single cover part of your hobby. There will be a key in that issue no and the easy drek one .. Its like any other comic collection but rather than spread over multiple issues, it's all over one personal key that you love

I loved going through the latest ASM covers and costing a set to suit my tastes.. And I'll probably add to those over the years.. Batman 50 I have no interest in, but other collectors will.

I don't see it as a bad thing
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
at the end of the day you can just get the standard issue and carry on with enjoying reading comic books ...

But I think variabts are great if there's an issue you really love, you can make collecting every single cover part of your hobby. There will be a key in that issue no and the easy drek one .. Its like any other comic collection but rather than spread over multiple issues, it's all over one personal key that you love

I loved going through the latest ASM covers and costing a set to suit my tastes.. And I'll probably add to those over the years.. Batman 50 I have no interest in, but other collectors will.

I don't see it as a bad thing

I have many variants myself so I’m not saying stay away from variants . I’m Only saying that the path it is taking reminds me of the Baseball card meltdown.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Exactly what the original poster is complaining about! Shows bleeding collectors for every cent they have! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:

I have no idea.

It's also possible the prices are being set by the show - not the celebrity/artist
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave
I fail to understand how bleeding the fanbase of a suffering industry is a sound business plan

The industry is not suffering when it comes to “cons” as CF put it lol. Cons are booming and people are spending wild amounts of money at them. I dont fault artists who are looking to make money in a booming market.

Quote:

It’s the 90s X2 right now. All the kids (myself included) that grew up in that boom (and subsequent crash) are now re-entering the hobby; this time with grown-up money.

It will crash again, you are absolutely right there.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user

I wrote an article about the impending crash:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/06/03/2-cbsi-writer-wars-round-1-impending-crash-dan-piercy/
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
I fail to understand how bleeding the fanbase of a suffering industry is a sound business plan

The industry is not suffering when it comes to “cons” as CF put it lol. Cons are booming and people are spending wild amounts of money at them. I dont fault artists who are looking to make money in a booming market.

Quote:

It’s the 90s X2 right now. All the kids (myself included) that grew up in that boom (and subsequent crash) are now re-entering the hobby; this time with grown-up money.

It will crash again, you are absolutely right there.
guilty as charged
Post 22 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I ordered some variants for Unicron #1 yesterday. It made me feel like a big man. I go to the smaller, one day shows in the area, as those tend to be more comic centric. The larger shows I avoid because stupid people really grind my gears after a while.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
The baseball card market is a husk of what it used to be, except for certain vintage cards. However, I think there is one or two differences, PED's and free agency! Those two things really turned off a lot of fans and killed the market for individual player's cards which was the life-blood of baseball card collecting. Those two things are really a non-factor in the comic-book collecting world, so what will happen to comic books in the future? As long as the characters keep enduring in the pop-culture world as they have for the last 80 years, then certain books will maintain and probably keep increasing in value. Is it bullet-proof? No, biblical scale events as sometimes portrayed in these very books could cause the whole thing to collapse. Who's going to care about comic books if you're more concerned about food, shelter and just staying alive?

Post 24 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If you have five minty fresh copies of Uncanny X-Men 266 I would think so.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
McFarlane is free (I think).

Kind of. If you catch him at the Amazing(!) Comic Convention(s), his signature is baked into the price of admission per ticket. However, he does not allow witnessed signatures; he only does that at a couple of private signing events. He also has a (growing) list of embargoed comics, books that he will not sign, regardless of event; Spawn "Thanks", any of the recent 1:1000 or 1:2000 Venom/Spider-Man variants, and a couple of other books.

Personally, I think some of the artists who use www.felixcomicart.com or www.cadencecomicart.com, or similar groups, have made it easier to get signatures or original art. The Felix booth at Comicpalooza was awesome. Maybe its just me, but paying $200 for an original chibi by Skottie Young was the deal of a lifetime, they sell for $1000-5000 on his webstore. Not only do you get the art, or signature; but you get that brief experience of meeting someone whose work means something to you (assuming its for personal enjoyment and not to be flipped).

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector mrtoon2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I remember going to San Diego Comic Con back in the day and any artist you walk up to would draw in your personal sketch book for no charge at all. And still the friendliest guy of them all is Angel Madina. But I have noticed that artist are charging a ridiculous amounts of money for a simple sketch. I don't need an original piece for that cost, I'll just buy a book. I haven't been to SDCC in a while because it's just the price to be crammed into a hall is not worth it. If you want to experience the atmosphere just hang out outside and the area, a lot going on.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@mrtoon2000 SDCC is a hard cycle... It gets bigger and bigger, and more expensive to attend, stay in the hotels, and pay for the booths. People are spending less and less on things like artists alley, so people, to some degree, need to charge more for things like sketches. Some do get absolutely ridiculous (and some unjustified swollen heads with little to too much celebrity status). There are still a lot who have reasonable pricing, might toss something in (a remark or whatever) if you're buying their books, prints, etc, but I always see it like I'm helping them pay to be there and hopefully end up ahead at the end of the day. More than just "being seen."
Post 28 IP   flag post
600713 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?