Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Comcast Outbids Disney for Fox...6589

Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Comcast (65B) just dropped a bid worth just over 12 Billion more than Disney's offer (52.4B) to buy Fox...

Hopefully they can work something out...I want to see an MCU Secret Wars!!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
all cash deal...Disney is all stock. not sure which is better but I'd assume the all cash deal has a negative tax implication to Fox.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
The extra 12+ billion just may overcome the "negative tax implications" idk.lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I pay more per year to Comcast than I do to the electric company or water department. So, part of that billion dollar Comcast offer belongs to me.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Comcast (65B) just dropped a bid worth just over 12 Billion more than Disney's offer (52.4B) to buy Fox...

Hopefully they can work something out...I want to see an MCU Secret Wars!!!

It ain't over 'till the fat mouse sings.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Far as conglomerate companies go Comcast can suck it big time.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
This could get interesting. It all depends on how much the Mouse really wants Fox.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I know the Comcast press release says their $35/share carries a 19% premium over Disney's offer but when you factor in the required return for Fox shares plus potential ROI on Disney's stock with future trends (their offer is all stock as of this writing) and where it might end up in a year, the deal is actually closer to $31/$30 ... so VERY close and anyone's game still.

The biggest addition to this new offer from Comcast (and why they waited for Judge Leon's verdict) is there is now a $2.5 Billion dollar "breakup fee" on the table meaning that if the DoJ blocks the merger they still have to pay out that money.

The best outcome (imo) would be an approved merger with divestiture. if either party wins, give Comcast Sky shares and Fox's EU assets (their big play with this is international expansion) and give Disney the rest.

Disney has 5 days to counter. I'm sure Iger will come in with at least $10B cash on top of their stock offer. Obviously I dont speak for him but I can't imagine he would want to let a failure of this define his legacy.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like a split of Fox assets between Comcast and Disney is a possibility. If so, fingers crossed FF and X-Men get to Disney!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Lets not forget the interpersonal relationships at play here.

Several outlets covering this deal have made mention that Bob Iger (CEO, Disney) & Brian Roberts (CEO, Comcast) have a "intense dislike for one another." (http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/26/technology/pacific-newsletter/index.html) According to a friend who works for Disney, that's possibly the understatement of the year. She's nowhere near the power-apex in the House of Mouse, but even at the career minion level, her understanding of the situation is (paraphrased), "If Mr. Iger saw Roberts catch on fire, and he was standing near a fire extinguisher, he would wander off in search of a good place for lunch."

Harsh, but understandable; Comcast did try (and fail) to acquire Disney via hostile takeover in 2004, so I'm sure there is some professional butt-hurt involved.

Still, between the two, I'm betting Disney ends up winning in the end. The Disney board is solidly behind Iger, whose record with acquisitions & mergers has been damn-near perfect, while Roberts board/shareholders may balk if the cost of picking up Fox digs into their dividend or short-term EPS projections.

Winner: Rupert Murdoch & Fox directors/shareholders; who are going to get paid premium for their product as the result of a bidding war.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Loiselle313 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I pay more per year to Comcast than I do to the electric company or water department. So, part of that billion dollar Comcast offer belongs to me.

As an employee and a stockholder of Comcast... I wouldn’t mind this happening.

But the amount of debt the company will carry becomes absolutely insane.

Disney will up the ante and eventually outbid Comcast for Fox.
Post 12 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiselle313
Quote:

I apologize if you have ever been unlucky enough to get me on the telephone.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiselle313
Quote:

I apologize if you have ever been unlucky enough to get me on the telephone.

Ooh! A new superhero; “The Transferer”
Better than “Hold Man”
Post 14 IP   flag post
Disney's stock offer has put it in a bit of a Kobayashi Maru situation.

clickable text
Post 15 IP   flag post
Looks like Disney is going to throw some cash into the deal to sweeten the pot...

"CNBC is reporting that Disney is expected to add a cash deal to their offer, which will add to their previous offer of $52 billion in stock (now valued at $55 billion)."
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Looks like Disney is going to throw some cash into the deal to sweeten the pot...

"CNBC is reporting that Disney is expected to add a cash deal to their offer, which will add to their previous offer of $52 billion in stock (now valued at $55 billion)."

How much cash will Disney have to add to sway Fox? More than 10 billion to equal Comcast ($55 Billion in stock + $10 Billion in cash = $65 Billion cash offer from Comcast).

I'd imagine they'd offer less than $10 billion.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
The real winners here are Fox executives, for sure. Very astute observation, @BabaLament

Brian and Bob are going to make Rupert Murdoch & Fox directors/shareholders the ultimate winners due to "ebay spike bidding" and using KaptainMyke's 24 month average.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I think its safe to say that Disney is in a better position to acquire Fox than Comcast is. Comcast will become one of the worlds most indebted companies if it purchases Fox. Disney knows this and likely knows Comcast's financial breaking point/debt limit.

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Disney obtaining Fox.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
If it solely comes down to who has the deepest pockets, Disney will win. No doubt. But that isn't the only consideration. Most analysts agree that while Disney wants this deal, Comcast needs this deal. Assuming Disney matches Comcast's bid, will Comcast up their bid to a crazy number?

What should happen is Disney & Comcast split up Fox with each taking the pieces they want most. Disney most wants Fox Studios and the channels like FX to bolster the streaming service they plan to roll out in 2019. While Comcast most wants Sky (Europe) and Star India. But these two aren't likely to cooperate and Fox would rather have a bidding war and get top dollar.

If I had to bet, I'd also bet on Disney as well. I just won't be surprised if either one wins out.
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Whoever wins, does it mean Bill O'Reilly will be back on the air???
Post 21 IP   flag post
Reports are coming in that The Walt Disney Company has signed an amended acquisition agreement with 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in cash and stock, topping Comcast's most recent offer of $65 billion.
Post 22 IP   flag post
A friend of mine said Fox maintained video distribution rights for Star Wars, and that’s another reason Disney wanted to close this deal.

This could mean, we will finally get HD releases of the original cuts of Star Wars on blu-ray/4K.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
This just hit the wire. Introducing your newest Disney Princess:

Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
A friend of mine said Fox maintained video distribution rights for Star Wars, and that’s another reason Disney wanted to close this deal.

This could mean, we will finally get HD releases of the original cuts of Star Wars on blu-ray/4K.

This is true but it was just for A New Hope
Post 25 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I would really just like the unbastardized versions of SW to be released.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I'd be happy with a version where Han shot first.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
This just hit the wire. Introducing your newest Disney Princess:

This makes me wonder if Ridley Scott will finish the ‘Prometheus’ trilogy & if this will put the brakes on Blomkamp’s sequel to ‘Aliens’ that Sigourney Weaver was so interested in?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Disney shareholders approved the purchase of 21st Century Fox this morning. It was stated that it was a 99% approval rate (I wonder who the person was that didn't agree?!)

John Nallen, 21st Century Fox CFO, told the shareholders at the Fox meeting that the merger is expected to reach completion in the first half of 2019.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Get your Hulk 181's while you still can. Once Wolverine appears in the MCU, forget about it.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600840 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?