Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Silver AgeWant to Buy

Prioritizing6583

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
So, TOS 52 in 8.0 or higher was my personal grail, and as some of you know, I finally picked that up earlier this month.

Here are the books that are now my highest priority.

Hulk #181 (6.0 with an eventual upgrade to 8.0).

Spider-Man #14 (4.0-6.0)

TOS #39 (2.0-3.0)

Avengers #4 (4.0-6.0)

I’m pretty sure Hulk 181 is next, but I wanted some input on this. Of the books listed, what would you consider highest priority? Any insight would be appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
181 or 39
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I agree.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Tdog13 private msg quote post Address this user
I got so worried I would never be able to afford one, I went out and grabbed a 6.5 graded Hulk 181.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
ASM 14 has been pretty steadily trending up for the past year.

The rest of those books are not trending up and have no reason to trend up. They can wait.

ASM 14 makes the most sense.Buy now, or pay more later.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Buy now, or pay more later.

That's my advice for H181 or ASM129
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks, guys. If I settle for 4.0s, I might be able to grab Hulk 181 & ASM 14. We’ll see. I’m not sure I wanna do that.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Think about AF 15 and those who didained the low grade books in the past. TOS 39 is next level, and prices will not drop
Post 8 IP   flag post
About 5 years ago, a guy had a 2.0 looking copy of TOS 39 for sale at a small Con.

He wanted $400 for it. I remember thinking that sounded cheap & I wanted to check the price online, but couldn’t get a signal on my phone.

I offered him $350 (I think it was all I had on me at the time) but the guy wouldn’t budge.

Sure enough, when I checked the going rate when I got home, it was selling for $1000. I still kick myself over that one.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Thanks, guys. If I settle for 4.0s, I might be able to grab Hulk 181 & ASM 14. We’ll see. I’m not sure I wanna do that.

If you buy the books slabbed, avoid silver age marvels that have PQ designations below OW.

Books with cream to off white tend to have a significant amount of edge oxidation. This goes hand in hand with staple tearing via weakened paper at stress points.

I don't buy slabbed books for the most part, there is little resale potential when paying slabbed prices.

But as someone who presses his own books, I know what to look for WRT pressable defects.

Pronounced edge oxidation is one of the worst defects a book can have, IMO.

I'd buy a book with heavy wear with OW or better pages, over a seemingly more visually appealing copy with edge oxidation.

Some poor bastard on the CGC Forums who didn't know any better posted this thread; details his results with having such a book pressed & slabbed.

Popped staple on his ASM 14...look at the tanning on the length of the spine. That is what to watch out for.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/433187-is-there-any-recourse-for-ccscgc-damaging-my-books/?tab=comments#comment-10220829

Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Think about AF 15 and those who didained the low grade books in the past. TOS 39 is next level, and prices will not drop

Agreed.

When it comes to SA keys and run GA, GGA, pre code horror and so on...it is always best to buy books in the Fair to G/VG range.

Especially books in Fair, when it comes to GA books like super hero Timely and DC....As well as SA keys.

Just look at GPA from NG/incomplete to 3.0 on such books.

Low grade is super liquid.

You can get virtually the same price for a GA run book in raw Fair as you would if slabbed.

I have always looked to buy low grade, first.

The only thing that really hurts a books' selling price is brittleness.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

Exactly. I purchased my .5 copy 6 years ago for $2425 (cover split & detached, but present with no tape, stains, or anything missing).

Two of the last three recorded (GoCollect) sales- $7000 and $8000, have missing wraps. The third has a detached cover with a wide spine length strip of tape.

Best. Decision. Ever.
But I wouldn't at all be shocked if it drops.
Post 12 IP   flag post
597868 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?