Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New and old to your Collection -NEWSSTAND- Part 26551

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Just got these in today. Was someone looking for these comics in 9.6/9.8? Good price to a good home. (I saw a WTB thread six months ago and decided to try for a few. No luck on the 9.8's, but I'll try again. I like trying to find high grade bronze/copper age raws.) Feel free to pm me or reply here, either way.

Barring that, who's got advice for the best way to sell these? eBay? Looks like MCS doesn't specify newsstand, though they do provide images.

What's a good price for newsstand anyway? I know very little about them, though I suppose the X-men are harder to find than the DD #170?

Post 251 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
who's got advice for the best way to sell these? eBay? Looks like MCS doesn't specify newsstand, though they do provide images.

What's a good price for newsstand anyway? I know very little about them, though I suppose the X-men are harder to find than the DD #170?

If it were me, I’d see what 9.6s go for direct then post it on eBay for double that with a best offer option. I’d set the best offer minimum at 50% higher than the going rate for direct copy...see what kind of offers you get. If you get none in a month then drop the price down or lower the best offer.

Test the market...but generally newsstands go for 20-100% higher than direct from what I’ve seen in that era. It’s a niche market though so it might take a while for the right buyer to come along.
Post 252 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome beautiful books you all have been posting

Love the Mike Zeck Stuff!

Ive been working on filling out my McFarlane Hulk Run

Post 253 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Trying to get all the Image founding fathers'(McFarlane, Liefeld, Lee, Portacio, Valentino, Silvestri, Larson)first issues in Newsstand. Need Cyberforce(Silvestri) and WETWorks(Portacio). To my knowledge there was no Youngblood 1 Newsstand.

Post 254 IP   flag post
Well, I found 1 out of the 2 I needed today.

Post 255 IP   flag post

Collector NewsstandSpecific private msg quote post Address this user
Added some awesome Jim Lee’s this week. I’ve still got a handful to track down though

Post 256 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
@NewsstandSpecific Awesome! I always loved the X-Men 274 cover
Post 257 IP   flag post
Thanks! I started collecting comics in that era. Jim Lee will always be the definitive X-Men artist for me. I’m surprised how hard these books are to find in 9.6/9.8 newsstand given how popular they were
Post 258 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
X-Men #1 from 1991 was the first X-Men book I read. I've loved Lee's X work since then.
Post 259 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes

Are you looking for #0 Newsstand?
Post 260 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes

Are you looking for #0 Newsstand?

I'm just after the #1s. Still looking for a NM of Wetworks to complete the set of the founder newsstand first issues.
Post 261 IP   flag post
Another Jim Lee registry find that showed up today. It seems like an unnecessary SS (Lee, Claremont, Leonardi) but some collectors are crazy about signatures. A htf newsie nonetheless
Post 262 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Some Australian cover price newsstands
Post 263 IP   flag post
Collector Mugroantics private msg quote post Address this user

Took way too long to find the UPC/NS copies.
Post 264 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Some Australian cover price newsstands

Wow high grade Aussie Newsstands, that's next level
Post 265 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Hcanes thanks 😀
Post 266 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user

Did some dealing with a member here NewsstandSpecific, got these beauties.
Very apropos for the Joosh Collection. Thanks @NewsstandSpecific
Post 267 IP   flag post

Just wanted to show of the current Thor GoT Newsstand collection with the 2 additions.
Post 268 IP   flag post
New additions! I’ve kinda avoided the ASM Larsen era but there is just something about the cover to #327
Post 269 IP   flag post

LCS had a Father’s Day sale...been eying this issue as 9.8s (direct editions) go in the $200s and this being a high grade newsstand. I also watched this as a kid and figured it’s only A matter of time before a movie comes out following in the footsteps of Transformers, GI Joe and Masters of the Universe. All were popular at the same time...cgi advances should give the animal hybrid characters the right look too.

What I don’t know, and maybe some experienced pressers here can offer their insight, whether the ticks/raises along the white spine can be pressed out. They’re not exactly spine ticks as they look raised and there entirely in the white part of the spine which a press should also help the slight roll.

Thoughts?
Post 270 IP   flag post

I’ve had these a while. Will likely send them in for a press and grade looking for a 9.6 or better.

Same as the Thundercats above, issue 18 has those strange raised (tick-like) on the white edge of the spine...press able if they don’t extend into the color portion of the cover?
Post 271 IP   flag post

Post 272 IP   flag post
Ive been travelling quite a bit for work and finally found a Wetworks 1 that wasn't too beat. Now I have all the original creator's #1s in Newsstand with the exception of Youngblood 1 which I do not think has a newsstand version.

1st app of Tyler Dayspring as Genesis

Extreme 90s

Rescued these Spawn Newsies from the same honey hole.

Anytime I see this book on the wall I ask to see it, hoping that the back cover looks like it does here

Post 273 IP   flag post
Something new

Post 274 IP   flag post
This just arrived! It’s essentially a worthless book BUT at the time of it’s release it really stood out on the stands along with Spirits of Vengeance #6 (same arc). These weren’t the first painted covers but they seemed a lot less common than today’s output. And by today’s output I guess I’m mostly referring to variants in terms of strong/defined artistic covers choices

Post 275 IP   flag post
Some stuff picked up over the week.

First app of Nuke

1st app of Exodus

1st app of the Stephord Cuckoos. Probably an 8.0 after it gets some crinkles pressed out. The new X-Men run was done on the crappiest of paper I have ever come across

1st app of Hydra Bob

Post 276 IP   flag post
Two more to go!
Post 277 IP   flag post
Got some more Image Newsstands. About $1.05ea at an estate sale and they are all 9.4 or better...

Post 278 IP   flag post
This was surprisingly HTF! I’ve been after it for a couple of years and it finally popped up on ebay

Post 279 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
So, I remember reading a spirited debate on whether some books were newsstand or not, and DocBrown mentioned Alpha Flight #88. It got me looking around and I read that some other books in the Alpha Flight run from the 60s to the 70s also did not have a direct edition counterpart. My understanding was that the non-direct books also went to the direct market with barcodes instead of Spidey heads or other equivalent. In any case, barcode is there, and I'm claiming them as newsstands. I'll have to find the source I read about the specific issues of A.F. which did not have direct editions.

Post 280 IP   flag post
597983 369 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?