Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper Age

Newsstand Premium6542

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Folks,

Looking for opinions on late 80’s Newsstand issues commanding a premium over their Direct counterparts.

I have an ASM #300 CGC 9.4 Newsstand edition that I may be selling. As far as pricing goes, would it be reasonable to expect a slight premium over other graded sales of this book that are Direct editions?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Yep.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Yes it seems key books like an ASM 300 can get a premium, while commons not so much and its often the same.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector _satan private msg quote post Address this user
yes, from my research newsstand books are more sought after. especially when they are in good condition
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
mile high comics used to (maybe still do) charge more for every newsstand vs direct book, common books or otherwise.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
mile high comics used to (maybe still do) charge more for every newsstand vs direct book, common books or otherwise.

They charge outrageous premiums on them. Except some of the unknowns are so hard to find that sometimes I find myself paying it
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

They charge outrageous premiums on them. Except some of the unknowns are so hard to find that sometimes I find myself paying it

Agreed...huge price differences between them.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Mile High also charges an outstanding premium on Alpha Flight newsstands that have no direct market counterpart. Seriously, those books are maybe worth the paper they're printed on.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Mile High also charges an outstanding premium on Alpha Flight newsstands that have no direct market counterpart. Seriously, those books are maybe worth the paper they're printed on.

Mile High has charged an outstanding premium on everything I've ever bought from them.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke

Nice copy. No cb spine ticks that I can see, just some tiny top and bottom spine wear.

Edit: Maybe a few cb ticks.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I also have a CBCS 9.4 with these grader’s notes...

“small bend top right corner front cover & top left corner back cover
tiny spine wear & stress some breaks color”.

Anyone else think pressing out the small bend would get this into a 9.6?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I'll go ya one further....I like to get Canadian price variants when I can..will even pay a little more as long as it is reasonable
Post 13 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
it's not bad but there's some fingerprints on the back cover. i give it a 9.2
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Yes it seems key books like an ASM 300 can get a premium, while commons not so much and its often the same.

Newsstands like ASM 300 should get a bit of a premium in 9.8, down to 2.2/9.4...lower the grade, lower the premium percentage.

What really matters on newsstand premiums is the year of the book.

Back in 1988, nearly half of the copies printed, went to newsstands.....so there should not be much of a premium, at all.

Newsstands from the early 2000's OTOH, were printed in much lower numbers than they were in 1988, or 1992-94, for that matter.

Some late 80-90 books should/do command a 200% or more premium...mostly books with black cover backgrounds.

In simpler terms, only a chump pays a premium for newsstands, as a rule of thumb, from 1988.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Didn't there used to be a thread about showing off newsstands? If not, there should be.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
I also have a CBCS 9.6 with these grader’s notes...

“small bend top right corner front cover & top left corner back cover
tiny spine wear & stress some breaks color”.

Anyone else think pressing out the small bend would get this into a 9.6?

I assume you meant "get this to 9.8"

I'd give it a 50/50 or 60/40 chance. It sounds like the bend goes through the book. So depends on how those spine stress/wear that break color looks. 9.8 isn't perfect - but it's close.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@IronMan

My apologies, it’s a CBCS 9.4. Looking to achieve a 9.6 on it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Back in 1988, nearly half of the copies printed, went to newsstands.....so there should not be much of a premium, at all..

I’ve heard that the ratio was more like 80:20 (Direct:Newsstand) in 1988. Also, the premium seems to reflect the fact that unsold newsstands issues were returned to the distributor making them even more scarce. Additionally, it’s postulated that direct edition issues from that era are more likely to kept in high grade condition.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
@CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Back in 1988, nearly half of the copies printed, went to newsstands.....so there should not be much of a premium, at all..

I’ve heard that the ratio was more like 80:20 (Direct:Newsstand) in 1988. Also, the premium seems to reflect the fact that unsold newsstands issues were returned to the distributor making them even more scarce. Additionally, it’s postulated that direct edition issues from that era are more likely to kept in high grade condition.

Wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn?😉
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Didn't there used to be a thread about showing off newsstands? If not, there should be.

Yeah it archived out :/
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
@CopperAgeKids
Quote:

The numbers dont add up, so I understand your position, CAK.

However, there just is no data to mine in consideration of how these books were treated. Directs were hoarded, newsstands were mostly read. Until you actually start hunting high grade newsies it’s tough to understand how frustrating it can be to find certain ones in high grade.

That said, ASM300 is one of the LESS rare of the newsstand keys. People knew it was a key back then, even those pulling from the ns racks. Many more of 300 in 9.8 exist than you will find a 299 or 301
Post 22 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Read KaptainMyke’s blog if you don’t believe me 😉

Collecting High Grade Newsstand Editions for Investing in Comics
http://blog.kaptainmyke.com/?p=1168

@shrewbeer
Quote:

They add up to 100, is that not what you were expecting?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I am starting to love me some Newstand copies.
Post 24 IP   flag post

Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I am not the only one to mention this. Barcodes are oogly. A Spidey head is a little better. But I much prefer just a price on the top left, like silver age books.

But alas. We are where we are.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The barcodes are fugly.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hey Folks,

Looking for opinions on late 80’s Newsstand issues commanding a premium over their Direct counterparts.

I have an ASM #300 CGC 9.4 Newsstand edition that I may be selling. As far as pricing goes, would it be reasonable to expect a slight premium over other graded sales of this book that are Direct editions?

I think that collecting Newsstand editions is still a niche market. But it is growing and gaining more publicity and popularity. However, I believe that the "average" collector still doesn't understand the difference. While they might conceptually understand the difference between the direct market and the newsstand, they probably don't know how it changed over the years, what year it shifted more to direct market or how drastic a disparity there was in later years. (I would not consider anyone or most everyone on these forums as an average collector. You are all above average!)

So, yes, you can expect a premium for a newsstand over a direct market comic, but only to certain buyers. Many collectors will see the same comic (one newsstand and one direct), at the same grade, listed for two different prices. If it a book they want, but don't understand all the nuances of the difference, they will just buy the cheaper book, and be happy with it. You also have others that will do the same because they simply don't like the barcode. Or other collectors who understand the difference, but aren't focused on being a newsstand collector.

Thus, you can expect a premium and may get one, it might take longer to sell as you are probably targeting a smaller segment of the collecting community.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@CopperAgeKids
Quote:

However, there just is no data to mine in consideration of how these books were treated. Directs were hoarded, newsstands were mostly read. Until you actually start hunting high grade newsies it’s tough to understand how frustrating it can be to find certain ones in high grade.

That said, ASM300 is one of the LESS rare of the newsstand keys. People knew it was a key back then, even those pulling from the ns racks. Many more of 300 in 9.8 exist than you will find a 299 or 301

I know how tough some newsstands are, in the upper echelon of grades.I've been hunting newssies for the better part of 5 years.

We're in agreement with all of this, with one caveat.

That being, the lack of data you referred to, is a two way street.

Sure, directs were generally better preserved/less prone to getting jacked up in a comic store rack over a 7-11 spinner rack.

To really understand that two way street, you have to look at books on a case by case basis.

Ghost Rider 1 (1990's run) is a brute in 9.8....OTOH, there are plenty of other Marvel and DC titles from that same month, that are hardly any tougher to find in 9.8 news, than direct 9.8. I'm sure that you know this.

As far as general scarcity numbers of newsstands are concerned, Mike's graph is just that.

A graph.

Without providing any citations to news vs direct distribution by year, as his chart stands, it makes no sense to infer scarcity from such a graph.

Furthermore when you factor in that some companies produced more books for the direct market than newsstands to begin with, that is another variable that throws "educated ball parks" out of the window.

I know that is Mike's graph, those are not your numbers,just saying.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
@CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Read KaptainMyke’s blog if you don’t believe me 😉

Collecting High Grade Newsstand Editions for Investing in Comics
http://blog.kaptainmyke.com/?p=1168

@shrewbeer
Quote:

They add up to 100, is that not what you were expecting?

@CaptainCanuck

Sure, 80 = 20 equals 100.

But without citations, those numbers don't add up.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601254 52 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?