Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics MagazinesComics Modern AgeMemorabiliaPop CultureQuestions

Gamestop to sell comics6541

Collector stanley1883 private msg quote post Address this user
http://comicbook.com/comics/2018/06/06/gamestop-selling-comic-books-soon/

My apologies if this has been addressed, I didn't see a thread for it. What are your thoughts? Is this good bad or indifferent? How will impact Comic Book shops if at all?

Personally, I dont think it should harm shops too much, on average gamestop wont be able to have the selection and knowledge that dedicated comic shops do, but there may be outliers, Regardless. What do you all think of the news?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
They have been selling comic books. Exclusive variant cover editions. They usually aren’t worth very much though. Now if they start selling newsstand edition comic books then I will get excited otherwise not so much. Have you seen the way kids handle comic books at Gamestop? Not good
Post 2 IP   flag post
yeah, i think they may get some impulse buys, like when your in line at the grocery store and you get a magazine. I cant imagine the average "regular" at your local shop switching to gamestop for their comic needs.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
They have been selling comic books. Exclusive variant cover editions. They usually aren’t worth very much though. Now if they start selling newsstand edition comic books then I will get excited otherwise not so much. Have you seen the way kids handle comic books at Gamestop? Not good

so are you saying that if they do start with the newsstand editions you would stop going to your local shop and start going to gamestop instead? I'm confused by what your excitement would constitute.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I recently walked into a GameStop for the first time since...probably 2007. They should probably remove “Game” from the name of the company; it’s been converted into a bastardized version of a LCS anyhow.

Racks of pop-culture T-Shirts, Funko Pop floor display, standard issue action figures, Rick & Morty/Doctor Who/Star(Wars/Trek) kitch, a couple of nods to manga/anime, a glass case w/ Diamond Select & Sideshow high end collectibles, a wall of used video games, new games & hardware on the wall behind the counter where the slabs or high dollar comics would be. The only things GameStop doesn’t currently have are long boxes of back issues & a current/monthly issues display.

Oh, and knowledgeable staff members; but they haven’t had those for decades.

If they want to sell current issues, good for them. Anything that gets people interested in comics, and/or reading, I fully support. If they move into back-issues, slabs, and the laughable idea of trading in “used” comics for (useless) Power-Up rewards points...well, I’m sure a bunch of people have boxes of dreck they would love to unload, even for pennies on the dollar. I mean, 25 long boxes of ElfQuest, Power Pack, etc. for enough points to buy a new game?
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Guy in my comic club is a long time manager of a GS in Cali. Can't wait to see what exsclusives he scores
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I would buy a newsstand edition if it were sold at GameStop. yes. However, I doubt they are going to do that since both DC and Marvel dipped out of the newsstand marketplace a year ago.

Gamestop has become Hot Topic. Sadly.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Its great for all collectors.. More books on more shelves means more exposure to kids who may not have considered going to a comic book store..

My comic addiction started from books I picked up on a newsagent.. It was years later I started going to comic book shop.
Post 8 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
"Yeah. That is a really old comic book. We can give you $0.50 cash or $1.00 store credit for that Amazing Fantasy #15. You are lucky to get even that much with the two spine ticks on it. We would given you a lot less if the pages weren't white."
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
@JustThatGuy LOL
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I have some old games I want to trade in for comics
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I think it'll be good for small markets that can support a Gamestop style store, but not necessarily a comic book store. I think it opens up the market to a younger audience as I often see way more little kids in Gamestop than I do in the local comic shops...it's probably a good move for Marvel and DC.

That being said, the quality of the comics probably won't be that great if they're going with spinning racks....better put those variant issues up top.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics ill give you 2 dollars store credit
Post 13 IP   flag post
The consensus appears to be that from a fan perspective, its a good thing, which I agree with, more exposure for comics. However, let me change gears here though, from a business standpoint, is that helpful, hurtful, or neutral to LCS? If you're a store owner (any here?) how do you take the news. I've heard the potential problem is that Game Stop does (or should) have the capability to order in larger bulk than a local LCS and therefore could theoretically, undercut them on prices. Personally, I don't see it due to them lacking the space to display all the comics, and then the knowledgeable staff/environment that comic book shops seem to enjoy.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Hurtful
depending on what comics they receive like more limited comics because the can order bulk loads and get more exclusives
Post 15 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
New spinner rack??? I want to see this, any pictures yet?
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA555
@JLS_Comics ill give you 2 dollars store credit

LOL that sounds about right
Post 17 IP   flag post
600878 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?